CrazyBoards.org

Texas Governor Vetoes Mental Health Bill because Scientology

http://www.greenvillegazette.com/texas-governor-vetoes-mental-health-bill-because-he-doesnt-believe-mental-illness-is-real/

"Instead, Abbott killed the bill after receiving information from a Scientology group which believes that mental illnesses are a myth and that treating them causes more harm than good for the patients."

Thank you for posting this, Crt.

I'm gonna miss all y'all, but this is the final straw for me, and I am going to go find a nice cave to live in and and subsist on roots and berries and any small fish or vermin I can kill with my teeth.

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/07/14/scientology-group-urged-veto-mental-health-bill/

Intended to provide a window of protection for doctors who sometimes find themselves choosing between illegally holding mentally ill patients and letting them leave with the real possibility they might be a danger to themselves or the community, the legislation would have allowed hospitals to retain patients for up to four hours, allowing law enforcement to arrive and evaluate the situation.

“This bill applies to a very small group of patients — those who voluntarily seek services at a hospital or emergency department, decide to leave the facility, but the physician has determined he or she poses a potential imminent danger to self or others. This is a high bar. Very few patients will meet it,” said a letter jointly signed by Texas Medical Association President Tom Garcia and Texas Society of Psychiatric Physicians President Daniel Pearson.

Reading the Tribune article, looks like Abbot bowed to a coalition of loud wingnuts on this.

...Crt...might projectile vomit...duck!

Edited by Stickler

I agree with saintalto.  Got to love it when a governor decides to believe a cult over the truth.  Reading that first article really made me mad.  I've heard a lot of people say Texas is a great place to live, well, it isn't.  Good going Governor Abbott.  I really hope people are bombarding him with letters and phone calls about this.  He needs a huge reality check.

Edited by melissaw72

Incredible. Well it's 9 o'clock in the morning and I've already filled up my daily allotted intake of stupid.

Don't read this link then:

WHAAAAARGAARBL

We do acually have amazingly smart people in this state, but they are doing things like unmanned space missions and heart transplants.

...Quietly.  

Edited by Stickler

Well, at least he didn't rail against the military exercises cum armed invasion in the state. 

Mental health care in Texas is well known to be a challenge to access.  The reputation just took another shot to the shorts.

Incredible. Well it's 9 o'clock in the morning and I've already filled up my daily allotted intake of stupid.

Don't read this link then:

WHAAAAARGAARBL

We do acually have amazingly smart people in this state, but they are doing things like unmanned space missions and heart transplants.

...Quietly.  

Yeah... funny enough when someone tells people to "wake up" that's the exact moment it's okay to switch off. I'm surprised that "sheeple" wasn't used, actually. No doubt you do have some smart people and it makes sense they are getting on with their stuff in silence; smart people know better than to argue with stupid people.

Well, at least he didn't rail against the military exercises cum armed invasion in the state. 

Interestingly enough?  He seems to have at first responded sanely to that?

http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/article/Abbott-s-first-response-to-Jade-Helm-more-6293173.php

But then, as in the above mental health bill, he caved in to ...um...non-reality based groups.

I don't understand what that means, Melissa.

Sometimes I think he can be an idiot.  Not all the time, and I don't hate him, just some of the things he's done while president I don't agree with.  I'm not getting into politics now though.  Sorry if I offended you.

While I certainly don't agree with all of his decisions, I like that he is smart and collected enough to make fun of himself in this way... because everybody else seems to blame him for just about everything else.

Edited by Wooster
  • Like 1