CrazyBoards.org

My memory sucks. I know others here have said as much too and that it's hard to tell if it's from the MI or the meds or (most likely) both. Regardless, this is causing issues for me at work. My boss has commented on it (in not the nicest way, but he's a bully so I suppose I should expect nothing less).

Is there something I can do to help improve my memory? I use lists and stuff which helps a lot but is only good for very short term stuff.

Can you set up your phone as an electronic diary? Lists  are good but I find not really very portable in some circumstances. If you are like most people you have your phone close to hand 23 hours a day.

This may sound a bit odd but if I have to commit information to memory I will often listen to a song whilst reading or making notes and then try and associate the information with the song. Sometimes it works really well for me and I still have good recall months later.

I like to make maps of information as this seems to be a way I learn effectively. Listening to instructions isn't really a strong point of mine due to anxiety kind of preoccupying my mind. If someone attempts to explain something to me I usually cut them off and ask them to give me a diagram or  written procedure's  so I can study them in my own space in my own time.

There are bound to be rx drugs that can help as well?

I use post-its.  One thing to do per post-it, with a day of the week it is due/has to happen, and the date when it has to happen. 

Even for long-term; I just put each one in a pile on the other side of my desk, with the more important one first with a day of the week and date on it, second more important, second, etc.  ALL have dates on them and day of the week.  They really help me a lot.

What about remembering stuff you have done? Different projects I do at work that are similar but not identical run together in my mind. I can't remember which one was which off the top of my head, I have to look things up, which apparently is a problem - my boss wants me to remember stuff almost on command.

How about writing a checklist specifically for things you've already done.  Like when you finish something, write it down on that list, keep the list nearby, so when you are asked if you finished something, just scan that list to see if it is on there.

Can you set up your phone as an electronic diary? Lists  are good but I find not really very portable in some circumstances. If you are like most people you have your phone close to hand 23 hours a day.

What app do you use? I was using Google, and the reminders helped so much, but they ended their SMS service, and I've been lost.

I have a book, like a journal, its sturdy and I write in pencil. A book lasts me about a year or so.  This allows me to make entries, edit entries, and cross off finished projects.  I can see through the entry after it is crossed off in case I need to access it for some reason.  When the facing pages are full, I transfer unfinished tasks to the new pages.  This helps me prioritize and remind me of things that need to be done.   I can add entries with finish dates that I have been told of or set myself.

Its also nice to see a bunch of crossed off entries, I feel like I have accomplished something.  Some days my lists are very immediate term, and maybe silly to someone with a normal memory.

If it is way out I add it as an entry on my work electronic calendar and in my book.   To keep personal and business separate I have note cards in the book to use when I think of something that needs to be done outside of work. 

I put all kinds of stuff on my work calendar.  Its is accessible to others but I just warn them that birthday parties and concerts and stuff will be listed I hope they enjoy knowing about my private life.

For Dr appts, I have a code.   My Dad is Pdoc and my sister is Tdoc.  Neuro is the dentist. Every appt or sometimes reminders will be in my book and calendar.

I think the act of writing it out or rewriting it out if the pages run out helps me remember.

What app do you use? I was using Google, and the reminders helped so much, but they ended their SMS service, and I've been lost.

I use the S App that came pre-installed with my phone. 

What about remembering stuff you have done? Different projects I do at work that are similar but not identical run together in my mind. I can't remember which one was which off the top of my head, I have to look things up, which apparently is a problem - my boss wants me to remember stuff almost on command.

I think your boss is a little unrealistic. Looking things up is smart and covers you and ultimately your bosses arse, he should be rewarding your due diligence.

I have a book, like a journal, its sturdy and I write in pencil. A book lasts me about a year or so.  This allows me to make entries, edit entries, and cross off finished projects.  I can see through the entry after it is crossed off in case I need to access it for some reason.  When the facing pages are full, I transfer unfinished tasks to the new pages.  This helps me prioritize and remind me of things that need to be done.   I can add entries with finish dates that I have been told of or set myself.

Its also nice to see a bunch of crossed off entries, I feel like I have accomplished something.  Some days my lists are very immediate term, and maybe silly to someone with a normal memory.

I used to do this. Not quite as obsessively as it sounds like you might, but still. I don't know why I stopped. I got cocky or lazy or both, probably.

I bought a notebook today. We'll see how it goes.

I used to do this. Not quite as obsessively as it sounds like you might, but still. I don't know why I stopped. I got cocky or lazy or both, probably.

I bought a notebook today. We'll see how it goes.

I cannot forget anything at work, it costs me personally.   Hope it works for you.  I just can't get the interaction from any tech program or I would maybe consider moving it to a computer.   Old habits die hard.