CrazyBoards.org

I'm overwhelmed by my grim future...

I'm really on the edge of despair here. 

First I got denied for SSI. They gave me reasons saying that my MI does not constitute enough of a disability to prevent me from working. I am not going to appeal, because of time issues. Because my Parent's Plus Loan for my college student loans will kick-in on Nov. and my mom will have to pay a monthly of $800. Ouch. There's no time to appeal the SSI denial anyway, and its such a hassle.

Second the only other choice is to get a job. Does anybody there know of any job compatible for someone with MI?

I majored in the arts, but suck at it. I got all C's during my college years and my portfolio is not that good.

Also, I'm hypersensitive to racist people and people who scold me and I'm afraid to encounter them at work. How do I deal with that at work? 

Can anybody relate to my situation? What is the best solution?

You should not be required to put up with racism or belligerence on the job. Just...nope.

...hmm...have no idea ATM, but sympathies extended, will think about it.

Racism should never be tolerated, but to some extent you are going to have to learn to not be hypersensitive to criticism or even scolding. It happens to all of us. It's just a fact of living in the world that people take their moods with them to their jobs and eventually it can come out in an ugly way. I'm not defending it; just saying that it happens and you have to be prepared to deal with it. Plus, if you come off as hypersensitive, you leave yourself open to workplace bullying (this I know from personal experience as I am very sensitive also). I strongly recommend therapy to help you become less sensitized to what other people say. People who do well are often people with thick skins who persevere despite anything other people say.

• Like 1

I don't see why you aren't continuing on in trying to get SSI.  I got SSDI, and I don't know the differences in applying, but most of the paperwork is done when you apply the first time, and then not much goes on until you finally get notice of when the hearing is going to be, and then there's a last mad dash to get all the interim paperwork. If you don't get SSDI (maybe true for SSI?) you don't have to pay the lawyer for anything.

Okay everyone.

I submitted my appeal for SSI today online and it took only half an hour at the most.

Now my question is, what happens next? How long is this process? Do I have to appear in court? I heard that hearing appointments due to the economy have waiting times up to two years... does that apply for SSI appeals?

Do I need a lawyer? I submitted the form without a lawyer and checkmarked the box indicating that I am representing myself.

I recommend getting a lawyer.  There are so many things that a good lawyer will know about the specific things they are looking for. I would not have gotten SSDI without mine.

You don't have to pay them anything up front. If you get approved, they get part of your back pay.  I think it's 1/4th, but I'm not sure.  I also want to reiterate that I only have experience with SSDI, not SSI.

Check your local resources through the unemployment office or work employment office (it's called Worksource here). They may be able to get you in touch with your local equivalent of Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. They help people with disabilities attain work.