CrazyBoards.org

how do you know you're coming out of a psychotic episode?

I started feeling less intensely obsessive about my delusions (like they went from being my entire world to a curiosity I was half questioning, half losing interest in). I can tell because the writing in my notebooks goes from frenzied and passionate page after page to a few entries her and there, to nothing. I can't keep up that intensity when I'm not deeply psychotic, it just isn't in me to do it. 

I also begin to trust more easily. The entire world isn't against me anymore, especially not people I love. I also begin to trust myself, my own brain. It doesn't feel so confusing and scary.

Even though I'm much better now, I still have lighter symptoms. It doesn't all go away. My tdoc/pdoc said its not uncommon with schizoaffective to have lingering psychosis, even when you're relatively well. 

• Like 4

I started feeling less intensely obsessive about my delusions (like they went from being my entire world to a curiosity I was half questioning, half losing interest in). I can tell because the writing in my notebooks goes from frenzied and passionate page after page to a few entries her and there, to nothing. I can't keep up that intensity when I'm not deeply psychotic, it just isn't in me to do it. 

I also begin to trust more easily. The entire world isn't against me anymore, especially not people I love. I also begin to trust myself, my own brain. It doesn't feel so confusing and scary.

Even though I'm much better now, I still have lighter symptoms. It doesn't all go away. My tdoc/pdoc said its not uncommon with schizoaffective to have lingering psychosis, even when you're relatively well. 

Very well said!

And I believe the lingering part, I feel that way.

• Like 1

What are the signs you're getting better? How do you go from very psychotic to somewhat functional?

When I crash, I know it is only a matter of time before I start to feel better.  Doesn't always happen right away, but given time the feeling of being hit by a Mac truck goes away.

The psychoses will start to go away, and I eventually become somewhat functional.  It is definitely not an overnight thing though.

• Like 1

I start to shower again! lol  I also feel comfortable making eye contact with ppl and trusting the good in ppl again.  I will also drink public water....um let's see what else I'm a lot more comfortable in public and I'm sure I'm easier to get to know.  I can spend time in silence w/o severe anxiety (but I still prefer to have the TV or some music on.)  And I'm much less paranoid about everyone hearing my thoughts! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This is similar to how it was for me.

Except instead of writing in notebooks I was sending Melli lots of e-mails.

For me I can also say that looking at your delusions, you can begin to challenge them or say out loud to yourself they don't exist. That sort of stuff. 

Yes, I can begin to question them. Before then they are just beliefs

As far as functioning, I don't know. I feel like I had to chip away at the delusions awhile and feel stable before I would say i was functioning well. I still don't know when people tell me I am doing well, if they mean it, or if they mean "for someone like you".

Edited by confused