CrazyBoards.org

I have struggled with treatment resistant depression and compulsive behaviors like shopping, internet checking, eating, crying jags.

My doctor has recommended trying a new med, he says off-label, called Nuedexta, for his term of "emotional incontinence" (!!! I know, such a bad turn of a phrase.)

The med is originally used for people with pseudo bulbar affect syndrome who have had a stroke or traumatic neurological injury and have jags of inappropriate crying or laughing. He says it may help put the brakes on the part of my brain that is unable to stop compulsive activities through neuro chemical pathways.

I don't have a lot of info on this med or use off-label beyond for the PBA syndrome.

Anyone tried this? Know much about it?

Edited by amosleigh
spelling error

I've never heard of this, but it sounds really interesting. I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out.

same! i've never heard of this med. keep us updated on your progress if you decide to try it out. :)

• 5 weeks later...

So far I haven't really noticed much improvement with it. Still had some crying episodes and shopping has not been curtailed at all. I am questioning if my crying is just a normal part of emotions with depression, though MD thinks the fact that I start and have trouble stopping, that it is a problem. And the shopping, just nothing will touch this problem. I am so compulsive in this habit it's getting dangerous.

I have a follow up with my psychiatrist tomorrow evening and I will discuss if this is a med worth continuing. I may try for another month or so since my insurance coverage has met the deductible and it's not crazy expensive.

I'm bummed again that I can't work this problem out.