CrazyBoards.org

I wasn't quite sure where to put this. Anyway, I was just thinking today how in the world did I go from one year ago having 40-50 Xanax left over when I got a refill to now where I'm lucky if I have any at all left? Then the answer came to me. A year ago, I was smoking marijuana very regularly, and because of that I didn't need but but maybe 1/2-1 Xanax a day just to not go into withdrawal. (Obviously if I had an anxiety attack I'd take more, but I'm referencing "normal" days). Looking back, I was quite happy with the way things were then. Now, things are drastically different. When I first started seeing my pdoc at the beginning of this year, she told me I had to quit smoking marijuana and I have been drug tested every single time I've been there since then. Now I'm up to 3 Xanax a day(which is what I'm prescribed to take). I know that's a lot of Xanax. I honestly have more anxiety now, then I did back then with less Xanax and smoking marijuana. Thoughts anyone? Opinions?

i think it depends on the strain and the individual. the problem with not being able to access medical marijuana where you live is that you can't ever be sure of what you're getting no matter what you're told. but if it works for you and with careful self-monitoring (taking note of your symptoms and how they correspond with your MJ usage) then i don't see why you couldn't use it for anxiety relief longterm. i know other MI people (and it also depends greatly on what other meds you're on and what flavour of MI you have) who are fine with it and helped by it, others for whom it is pretty toxic. for me it depends on the strain too - sometimes it can induce anxiety/depression, other times it has no effect, other times it has a more positive effect. doing it too often is a bad idea for me personally, that i do know.

Edited by cosima

i think it depends on the strain and the individual. the problem with not being able to access medical marijuana where you live is that you can't ever be sure of what you're getting no matter what you're told. but if it works for you and with careful self-monitoring (taking note of your symptoms and how they correspond with your MJ usage) then i don't see why you couldn't use it for anxiety relief longterm. i know other MI people (and it also depends greatly on what other meds you're on and what flavour of MI you have) who are fine with it and helped by it, others for whom it is pretty toxic. for me it depends on the strain too - sometimes it can induce anxiety/depression, other times it has no effect, other times it has a more positive effect. doing it too often is a bad idea for me personally, that i do know.

Oh how I wish I could go back to smoking MJ on a regular basis. Unfortunately me and my pdoc don't agree on this matter. She made me quit smoking or she wouldn't prescribe me anymore Xanax. So now, every time I go to see her, I get drug tested every single time.

It sounds like your pdoc doesn't want prescription meds to be working at cross purposes with self medication.

You pretty much summed it up about how she feels about it. I just think I was doing so much better mood-wise and anxiety-wise when I was smoking marijuana. Now I have to take a whole lot more medication now than I was back when I was smoking. Plus, I think it's kinda unfair that I have to undergo drug testing at all! I've never been to a pdoc that drug tests me until this one. I have a contract with my Pain Management Doctor, that says they can randomly drug test me and call me in for a pill count, but they have never called me in for either one of those. He even supported my MJ use, because it also reduced the pain medicine I needed. But now without it, I'm on a lot more pain medicine.

It used to not make me anxious, now there are only a few strains I can handle.

^ This is exactly what's happening to me!

I have been smoking weed for about 22 years now, and it used to make me more relaxed, and even outgoing sometimes, but lately  (I'd say within the past 6 months or so) I've been getting super paranoid and anxious.I wondered if it was maybe the strains I've been getting, but I'm not sure.

It used to not make me anxious, now there are only a few strains I can handle.

^ This is exactly what's happening to me!

I have been smoking weed for about 22 years now, and it used to make me more relaxed, and even outgoing sometimes, but lately  (I'd say within the past 6 months or so) I've been getting super paranoid and anxious.I wondered if it was maybe the strains I've been getting, but I'm not sure.

One of my friends just stopped smoking about 2 months ago because she said everytime she smoked, it made her super paranoid. I had a pretty bad anxiety/panic attack about 2 or 3 months ago, when I smoked what people refer to as "Loud". Its just a stronger higher quality of marijuana. I also hadn't smoked for a month or two, so I had no tolerance anymore. So, I very unwisely, smoked it, and smoked alot more than I should have. I was feeling it, but I keep smoking. BAD IDEA! Then before I knew it I was sky high. So high that I had an anxiety/panic attack because I really felt like I was never going to "come down" or feel normal again. Thankfully I had Xanax with me, and we took a nap, and when I woke up I was fine. But now, I know my limits. I know when to say I'm done, that's all I need. Ever since that experience, I haven't had anything but wonderful experiences. 

Hi there, I'm new here. I too smoke daily. I am currently taking 900 mg lithium 75 mg lamotrogen and was recently given 2.5 mg of zyperexa. I've been smoking for about 5 years. My father recently passed away for which I am having a very difficult time with. Smoking kept me from having to introduce more meds for a long time.  Depending on the strain I may get anxious or restless. I haven't until recently ( due to being under alot of stress) had hallucinations or major depression.  My doc has prescribed zyperexa as of yesterday to see if this helps through.  Those that have taken it, what can I expect from this drug? Thanks in advance 

• 2 weeks later...

I started smoking weed about 10 months ago, and I can honestly say that taking it up has been incredible. 

I have suffered from chronic insomnia for almost all my life, tried almost every sedating medication available and found previously the only way to get to sleep was to take 3-4g of Seroquel. Since I started smoking I have reduced that by 10x down to 300mg at night. I have never had a bad experience from it, sure it makes me a little paranoid sometimes but I can easily see that the paranoia is ridiculous so I usually just laugh it off with no further thought.

It has also dramatically improved my mood and anxiety, I don't know if that is because of the drug or just simply the knowledge that no matter what shit I have to deal with during the day, that at night I can sit down, relax, have a smoke and just feel good about myself, no worries, judgements or anxiety.

From what I have heard, I seem to be a bit of an anomaly in that I have only had positive experiences, I don't want to encourage regular use as it can cause real problems.

Edited by Alpam
add a disclaimer

I started smoking weed about 10 months ago, and I can honestly say that taking it up has been incredible. 

I have suffered from chronic insomnia for almost all my life, tried almost every sedating medication available and found previously the only way to get to sleep was to take 3-4g of Seroquel. Since I started smoking I have reduced that by 10x down to 300mg at night. I have never had a bad experience from it, sure it makes me a little paranoid sometimes but I can easily see that the paranoia is ridiculous so I usually just laugh it off with no further thought.

It has also dramatically improved my mood and anxiety, I don't know if that is because of the drug or just simply the knowledge that no matter what shit I have to deal with during the day, that at night I can sit down, relax, have a smoke and just feel good about myself, no worries, judgements or anxiety.

From what I have heard, I seem to be a bit of an anomaly in that I have only had positive experiences, I don't want to encourage regular use as it can cause real problems.

I've noticed that since I quit smoking, my anxiety is a lot worse and I have to take a whole lot more Xanax than I did before

I've noticed that since I quit smoking, my anxiety is a lot worse and I have to take a whole lot more Xanax than I did before

That could be a sign that you are developing a tolerance to the Xanax. Perhaps switching to a different benzo might help. I know your pdoc is crappy, but talk to her about it.

Edited by jt07

That could be a sign that you are developing a tolerance to the Xanax. Perhaps switching to a different benzo might help. I know your pdoc is crappy, but talk to her about it.

I'm sure that I have already built up a tolerance to Xanax. I've been taking it for about 10 years. My pdoc is already looking for any/all reasons to take me off of it. To be honest, I'm scared to go off of Xanax. I've taken Clonopin and Valium sometime when I was younger, but it was so long ago I can't remember what it was like. I know for sure Xanax will work. I'm not so sure about the other benzos. It'd be a nightmare if they put me on a benzo that didn't work as well. I guess what I'm really afraid of is anxiety. In my head, if I were to switch meds, I just have this "vision" that I will have a lot of anxiety and whatever I switch to will not work even half as good as Xanax. 

iceprincess, are you in therapy for your anxiety? i know what it's like to have extreme anxiety and i know it's annoying when people ask that, but the right therapy really can help. it's not a cure or primary treatment, but it can have a pretty significant impact and lessen your dependence on anti-anxiety meds over time because you learn other skills and can often move beyond popping PRNs when panic sets in.

iceprincess, are you in therapy for your anxiety? i know what it's like to have extreme anxiety and i know it's annoying when people ask that, but the right therapy really can help. it's not a cure or primary treatment, but it can have a pretty significant impact and lessen your dependence on anti-anxiety meds over time because you learn other skills and can often move beyond popping PRNs when panic sets in.

Therapy is quite an issue for me. I was seeing a tdoc at the same place my pdoc works, but I only seen her like twice. Then I just stopped going because it wasn't doing anything at all for me. Once my pdoc caught on that I wasn't seeing the therapist anymore, she essentially forced me back into therapy. She said she couldn't prescribe me medicine if I wasn't in therapy, something about it being a "policy". I've only had one forced session in the last couple months, because when I was forced to go, it turned out horrible. I was really non complaint. I played with my water bottle the whole time, would only give very short answers, then I announced to her that the only reason I was there was because the pdoc forced me too. That disaster of a session ended after 15 minutes. I haven't been back to therapy since. I live in a very rural area, so tdocs are just kinda like; you got what you got. It's not like I have a ton of tdoc options. 

Any willingness on your part to ask the tdoc specifically and only to help you get anxiety management/reduction skills?

just wondering if there is any way to make lemon flavored water instead of just lemons?

Any willingness on your part to ask the tdoc specifically and only to help you get anxiety management/reduction skills?

just wondering if there is any way to make lemon flavored water instead of just lemons?

I WISH so badly I could have that. I hear alot about other people on this site and the great stuff they get out of therapy(like you said, anxiety relief, coping skills, etc). I'm afraid my tdoc is just one of those "Let's just talk about it" therapist. I live in a very rural area, so mental heath care is horrible here. After our last session, I'm pretty sure that bridge is burnt. I just don't think we were very compatible. But I don't have many options sadly. I did see a tdoc around this area before her, but that one was even worse! That one would provoke me and try to get any emotion out of me at all. It's a long story.

It sounds like it's been difficult to get what you need.

I wonder if you would feel more empowered and less resentful if you went in with a specific agenda to get these skills.