CrazyBoards.org

Adding fuel to the fire -- it's getting worse.

Not sure how much more of this I can take. 

A few days ago, the pain level in my broken foot shot to record levels. Quick email to my primary doc. "Come see me," her reply. Well, that's cool. My primary and I laugh hysterically over everything.

Today comes, and I'm having a harder time breathing, my nose is running, my foot still hurts, I'm coughing up the grossest crap I've seen in years, and all in all, I'm a mess. Job interview is Friday, thesis defense is Monday, and there's a lot more on my plate besides.

The doc gets me into her office. (Early. She's great that way). We talk. Checks my foot -- we're both pretty sure I just re-aggravated a fracture that hadn't quite healed. Doesn't look like a blood clot or a tendon or ligament problem. More Vicodin.

Then, she listens to me breathe. "You have pneumonia." PNEUMONIA???? Great. I walk out with prednisone, an inhaler, doxycycline and a whole big heap of Vicodin. I'm opening my own pharmacy. I have almost everything you need here (THAT'S A JOKE, MODERATORS.)

But, hell. Let's start a poll. What will I have by the end of the weekend? I'm voting for clostridium difficile colitis...

Could this just be stress? The job interview looms, and if I don't get through the thesis defense -- I CAN'T ACCEPT THE JOB!!!!

Edited by strongvoice1
Adding

How have you been sleeping the last week or two? Not sleeping can lower the body's immunity and make pneumonia more likely. I developed pneumonia following a few all nighters preparing for finals in college. The best thing you can do for yourself is to rest now or else the job interview or the thesis defense won't mean anything.

What I'm clear on is that you're going to do whatever the hell you want to do. So, why are you here? Maybe this should be on your blog rather than the forums since you clearly aren't open to discussion/advice/comments unless they are on your terms.

So glad to read the unstated assumption. Which is obviously as follows: I won't move it, rather than the factual, which is -- if I try and move it, I lose both the job possibility and the advanced degree, and have to wait.

At first, I did come here for advice. I figured I would get some good advice, and some bad.

Both are, in the main, true. But I do detect a lack of motivation to get better among some on this board -- those who would, in essence, wallow. So my own postings, which Sylvan doesn't want to read (hey, that's his right), can maybe serve as more of an example of getting the work done even when you feel like shit.

And I feel like shit. Yet I'm still kicking ass and taking names.

You can get better. Sometimes, it just means making yourself function. 

And Sylvan, I don't have to post here. If you want me gone, hit the switch! Tell me to go fuck off! But if you want every thread to reflect some certain sniveling, yet priory tone or tenor, and not engage in intelligent, semi-scientific discourse, advertise that up front, willya? 

Edited by strongvoice1
More fun

You can move it. You choose not to. There are certainly consequences if either is moved. You do have a choice, what you decide is completely up to you but saying that you will not move either pretty much kills any conversation.

Does it? No. What it says is that I do not let my illness(es) dictate my life. 

You know nothing of the MI and physical struggles I've had to go through. 

-Ditto, mostly.

You know nothing about me other than that I dared to suggest that it might be best to move this discussion to your blog since you really don't seem to be open to discussion.

-Which indicates to me that Sylvan must approve of the tone, tenor and content of all posts before they can be posted, meaning you don't like what I have to say, or the way I say it. So, is this "Sylvan's board," and we all play by her rules? In checking your own history, I find you argumentative with many posters. And, IMHO, in an extremely offensive fashion.

If you don't have a blog, I'll be happy to help you create one. I'm betting a smart guy like you can figure out how to do it. If not, let any staff member know and we'll give you a hand. 

-I already have one. It's not going to be linked here. 

How have you been sleeping the last week or two? Not sleeping can lower the body's immunity and make pneumonia more likely. I developed pneumonia following a few all nighters preparing for finals in college. The best thing you can do for yourself is to rest now or else the job interview or the thesis defense won't mean anything.

I agree with jt ... sleep is very important, because without it you'll eventually get sicker (or not better) and I don't think you want that.

Melissaw, he doesn't want your advice. Just as he won't talk to doctors who use the "wrong" search engines, he won't take advice unless he thinks you are as smart as he is. And he rather hilariously thinks he is smarter than everyone here.

Oh, I forget, strongvoice, do you have a thesis defense? I hadn't heard that from you 300 times yet. You must be so proud. What are you going to name it?

Do you know how many people on this site have advanced degrees?

And stop psychoanalyzing site members as a genus. It makes you look like even more of a pompous asshole.

No idea how many people here have advanced degrees. I have one, and the other one is pending. Yes, I do have a thesis defense. Three hours of it. I'm not sleeping well, and I have pneumonia and a broken foot.

But I got up, dressed up, got on the train and interviewed for a job today, sick as a dog. Which is not easy. This weekend, I will work, and finish my defense for presentation. 

Ok? You approve? Did I make you happy and soothe the ruffled ego? Pneumonia's a bitch, so forgive me if I didn't use exactly the words you wanted to hear. 

But it's all just ad hominem attacks with you, isn't it?

just to follow up on something sylvan said: the blogs on CB are a great place to post about personal goings-on. they're fairly well read and people comment on them. I'd definitely be interested to hear more about your thesis defense and physical recovery. of course I'm not suggesting this as an alternative to posting on the boards when you have a question or an issue that you want to reach a broader audience. 

Pneumonia can go septic if you aren't careful. If you allow that to happen by exacerbating your condition, just remember that sepsis still kills one out of three people. 

I can get worried, and yeah -- I am. A little. I can rest some this weekend, but not much. 

The point here is this: you wake up sick every day. Automatically behind the eight ball, thanks to MI. Some days, you wake up even sicker.

You can bitch and moan about it, or you can suck it up and try to make things happen. Doing what I'm doing now hurts -- mostly physically. 

The only quote from Ronald Reagan I ever agreed with: "I always believed the best social program is a job."

You're working at an automatic disadvantage thanks to BP. For three years, I did a program that actually is supposed to take four and a half, and maybe five. But I did it. I'm not dead. Though at least two of you reading this would probably prefer that.

I will leave it here: you have two options when you get up in the morning: be sick and let it stop you, or be sick and make good things happen.

This is probably my last post here; the ad hominem attacks are a bit much for me. I come from the school of "play hurt." And there are several very vocal members here who would appear to want to wallow in their woes, instead.

You are such a charmer.

How dare you lecture other people on how to care for their particular and individual illnesses? You only know your own story, and you don't seem to be interested in listening to anyone else's. Or anyone else's advice for that matter. Are you here for a reason, or just to be a supercilious twat?

Pneumonia can go septic if you aren't careful. If you allow that to happen by exacerbating your condition, just remember that sepsis still kills one out of three people. 

I can get worried, and yeah -- I am. A little. I can rest some this weekend, but not much. 

The point here is this: you wake up sick every day. Automatically behind the eight ball, thanks to MI. Some days, you wake up even sicker.

You can bitch and moan about it, or you can suck it up and try to make things happen. Doing what I'm doing now hurts -- mostly physically. 

The only quote from Ronald Reagan I ever agreed with: "I always believed the best social program is a job."

You're working at an automatic disadvantage thanks to BP. For three years, I did a program that actually is supposed to take four and a half, and maybe five. But I did it. I'm not dead. Though at least two of you reading this would probably prefer that.

I will leave it here: you have two options when you get up in the morning: be sick and let it stop you, or be sick and make good things happen.

This is probably my last post here; the ad hominem attacks are a bit much for me. I come from the school of "play hurt." And there are several very vocal members here who would appear to want to wallow in their woes, instead.

Okay, not going to hesitate about confrontation on this one. 

I don't personally care at all what you do or don't do... how tough you are in adversity.... how you can achieve all your goals without letting your hardships come in-between you and victory. It's no skin off my back or I could also say, you're funeral. Not sure which cliche I would choose, so I humbly propose both.

See, I'm mostly interested in all this from a medical perspective and knowing a bit about these things, i gave a warning. Microbes don't respect your work ethic. Actually, they would if they could care. Wearing down your body is exactly the kind of thing they'd be cheering you on for. So, you know, good luck with things. I'm sure Ronald Reagan would be proud. :) 

Okay, not going to hesitate about confrontation on this one. 

I don't personally care at all what you do or don't do... how tough you are in adversity....

How tough you are in adversity defines who you are. Don't believe it? Avoid adversity. You'll get nowhere in life. (Seems that you aren't getting anywhere in life, so it's pretty fitting, I guess.) 

Look at how many of you live by your diagnosis and your meds. I see that in almost every signature line: "I have Atypical anxiety with ADD, possible OCD, and maybe I have QWERTY, mostly recovered from LBJ and the FBI on Fourth Street, USA, taking Grapefruitoveraprovem along with 1300 mg of somethinginlatinthatmakesmeaspecialsickperson and I just added a benzo and some Ritalin and my pdoc is asking me to consider a new hybrid petri-dish thing from someplace in Bolivia." 

Being defined by what's in your medicine cabinet? 

Wimp. I would rather be defined by the strength I create and the respect I gather from others for being strong in adversity -- than what's in my medicine cabinet. 

As for debate club, don't care. If you're acting like a pussy, can I act like an ass? Seems fair. 

Question for all of you: how many of you really don't want to get better? How many of you want to consider yourselves sick -- every day? OK. Fine. Be that way. I'll go get an actual life, and a well-paying one to boot. Interesting to note that while I have actual physical issues such as pneumonia and a broken foot, and I am actually still getting the work done, none of my "accusers" could mention it. Or admit it, It would have actually been nice to read the following: 

"Dude -- pneumonia? You can do this. You are close to the end. ROCK ON." 

No one even assumed I would finish the PhD and the tenured job process. Not one of you. You thought I'd fold. 

Again, how you do in adversity is what defines you. It is your legacy. 

Edited by strongvoice1
Defying bullshit

People put meds and diagnoses in their signature because it makes it easier for others to advise them. Obviously, you take great pride in your resilience under adversity, but apparently you didn't have the intelligence to figure that out.

OK. Then -- who else here is trying to "grow a set" and learn how to operate under adversity? (The statement is figurative, ladies.) Tell stories about it! I have more than enough intelligence to figure out I operate well under adversity. 

I just wonder why others won't try. 

And that is what I read here -- a bunch of people who don't try.