CrazyBoards.org

Feeling not as "smart" as you were before the onset...

I feel like I'm not as intelligent or sharp as I used to be before the onset of my illness. I used to excel in school...now I find I actually have to work a million times harder to get the same grades. Anyone else feel like they've had "cognitive decline"?

Oh yes. Very much so. I was very intelligent when I was younger. I'm not dumb now I don't think, I simply have a horrible memory. Thank goodness I got my undergraduate years out of the way a long time ago when I could still do the reading/studying/memorising/testing regiment. No way I could cram and sit an exam now days. 

Not necessarily "cognitive decline," as much as out of "cognitive practice." Intelligence doesn't simply go away and the brain is actually very pliable/elastic. You simply have to practice more. And it comes back pretty fast. However, I think it is harder for me to pick up a completely random new subject than when I was younger.

Yes!  Not totally sure why, but for me I think it is because of all the meds I take, and over time they've messed with my memory.

Thank goodness I got my undergraduate years out of the way a long time ago when I could still do the reading/studying/memorising/testing regiment. No way I could cram and sit an exam now days. 

^^THIS for me too.  I was actually thinking of this yesterday, how there would be no way I could go back to college and do everything I did throughout college.

You simply have to practice more. And it comes back pretty fast.

It isn't that "simple."  That is definitely not the issue for me.  Practicing won't make things better.  

Yes! This is something I'm struggling with. I used to be able to write 3000 word essays on the day they were due for a university degreedegree I was doing to barely being able to do one subject a week for a part time course. I used to be able to read 2-3 books a day now one book can take me a few months to get through and often I won't remember the storyline. As for TV, it might hold my attention for a little bit then my mind will wander...

Yes!  Not totally sure why, but for me I think it is because of all the meds I take, and over time they've messed with my memory.

Thank goodness I got my undergraduate years out of the way a long time ago when I could still do the reading/studying/memorising/testing regiment. No way I could cram and sit an exam now days. 

^^THIS for me too.  I was actually thinking of this yesterday, how there would be no way I could go back to college and do everything I did throughout college.

It isn't that "simple."  That is definitely not the issue for me.  Practicing won't make things better.  

I don't mean to say you'll go back to your undergraduate years. Heck, I stopped being able to pull all nighters when I hit my 30's. But aerobic exercise, AD's, and mental exercises seem to make a positive difference for me.

I don't mean to say you'll go back to your undergraduate years. Heck, I stopped being able to pull all nighters when I hit my 30's. But aerobic exercise, AD's, and mental exercises seem to make a positive difference for me.

Maybe it works for you but for many of us who struggle with psychotic disorders it isn't so easy and straightforward. I am someone who tries to do many things to keep my mind active. Reading, writing, crosswords, knitting, basically anything that requires concentration, but compared to how I was before I became sick these activities are almost impossible nowadays.

Edited by dazed and confused

Like dazed and confused said, it might work for you, but it is not that easy and straightforward. 

Aerobic exercise, AD's and mental exercises don't all work for me (AD's *might* help me, but just on that med wouldn't).  I exercise usually when I'm not tired/not anemic, and that does not help at all.  Mental exercises don't work either ... doing them just stress me out more because I can't figure them out.  That is good they work for you, but they do not work for everyone in general.

Just chipping in to this one - absofreakinlootely. I skipped a grade in primary school, was in gifted and talented classes, scored well above average on clinical studies intelligence tests, managed decent grades as an undergraduate, but now

feel like I have about the intellectual capacity of a pet rock.

Well, not quite, but things are certainly feeling about 10000x harder than they used to be. I've since failed out of university 3 times thanks to mental health, and am now on my fourth (and probably last postgrad) attempt.