I've been on a high dose (for me) of night time Seroquel for several years now (300 mg).  It was something that was not up to me, because I was in involuntary mental health center at the time.  I had never been on more than 50 mg for any period of time up until that. I also suffer from severe chronic  autoimmune pain.  At night the pain and anxiety really get out of hand - I have intense flashbacks and hypervigilance due to trauma that happened in my house.  The hypervigilance and flashbacks makes gaining enough relief from the pain and anxiety almost impossible.

Yet counter intuitively the Seroquel seems to make things worse.  First it makes me groggy as all hell, which makes focusing on my efforts to reduce the pain and get ready for bed a lot harder.   Also its sedation effect almost makes my hypervigilance worse,  because its almost like my brain can't consider the possibilty of relaxing its guard - and stays more alert.  In short it fucks things up.

I was considering taking a lower dose of Seroquel at night and trying XR durin gthe day.  Like 200 at night and 150 XR during the day.  I don't want the sedation, but the night time seroquel doesn't really seem to do me much good in the day.  I don't know if seroquel helps regardless, but I wanted to see if anybody takes this combination and how it works for them.  Do you feel different during the day with the seroquel being in XR form?  I don't want to be feeling the sedation effects all day, but its the only thing I can think of trying without lowering the seroquel or going off of it.    

My reason for being prescribed Seroquel XR was not the same as yours, but I did find that splitting the dose so I took more in the morning and a smaller amount in the evening, along with my bedtime IR, was beneficial, and didn't lead to daytime grogginess.

I was switched from Seroquel IR to Seroquel XR because it also made me really groggy the next morning, and I was only on 150mgs. Now I'm on 400mgs of Seroquel XR and a whole lot more functional. I do however take my Seroquel XR at night. It still makes me a little drowsy, which is why I take it at night like my pdoc told me to. But it lasts throughout the day even when I wake up. I much prefer the XR version to the IR kind. Seroquel in general has always been a must have in my medication regimen.