CrazyBoards.org

how to fight stupidity

Anyone have any ideas on how to fight the stupid effect my meds have on me? RX is in the sig.

I have trouble remembering what I say/have said.  I have trouble remembering words.  If you ask me what I had for dinner last night I wouldn't be able to tell you.  Though after some thinking now I do remember, but I haven't taken the full dose of my meds today.  Damn my non-compliance.

It's becoming a real problem.  I feel like I am an old lady!

Well, I don't have any scientific studies that I know of to back me up but

-omega 3 fatty acids

-ginko biloba

-ginseng

-caffeine

this has helped me. I am a student and need my brain...

A word of caution. Caffeine needs to be only occassional. And I had to discontinue the ginseng as it made me manic/mixed. But my doctor seemed surprised, so maybe that was just me.

i'm the supplement queen (in that i take a TON)... and i can tell you some of the stuff i take to help with brain function, BUT, i was unable to find anything about interactions between these supplements and geodon.  SO ASK YOUR DOCTOR FIRST BEFORE YOU TAKE THESE!!

Well, as said above, omega 3s are just great for your brain overall.  (and safe.)

For BP it's best to take a dosage with a high ration of EPA:DHA.  And, you want to get as close to 1000mgs of EPA a day as possible.  (this can mean taking 3 or more pills, which gets pricey.)  In my opinion, the best brands are Omega Brite (which you can have automatically delivered every month by mail... order 2 boxes a month so you can take 3 pills a day) and The high EPA formula by Nordic Naturals which you can get at whole foods, etc.

I also take the following:

Vinpocetine which is a "nootropic" (cognition enhancer) that is an rx in europe but a supplement here.  it's available at whole foods, etc... but get a high quality brand.  (I use the Jarrow formulas version... but there are other quality brands out there.)

Acetyl L-Carnitine which is an anti oxidant that supposedly has neuro protective qualities  (the abreviation for it is ALC)

NADH  which helps the ATP process in the body ... I'm not 100% on how it works, but, for me, it REALLY works.  I am pretty sure it does something to dopamine in the brain though, so pretty please ask your doctor about this one before you take it.  NADH is an unstable compound, so it is difficult for companies to make a formulation of it that is bioavailable.  The best form I've found is ENADalert by Source Naturals  I take 10mg (sublingual) 2xS a day. (sadly it's quite expensive... which is why it's on my christmas wish list, lol.)

I also take Lecithin and a B complex.  B 12 can be esp. important for brain function,  but a good B complex is a must have, imho, for most people.  (B12 is best taken sublingually b/c it is hard to absorb otherwise.) 

The scientific support behind these different things varies.

My doctor put me on Acetyl L-Carnitine, a sublingual B complex, Omega 3s and ENADalert.  I asked him about vinpocetine and lecithin and he gave me the ok on them.  However, I have a different coctail than you do, and many of my memory issues are from chronic fatigue.

Below is a link to an article from PubMed on some of these things, though it focuses on memory problems in the elderly.

It also discusses phosphatidylserine (PS) which i also take, though I take it to help regulate my cortisol since my adrenals are wacked out.  But it's interesting to know it may be helping my memory, of course...

I will also cut and paste the article in case the link doesn't work for you.

Brain Specific Nutrients: A Memory Cure?

OBJECTIVE: We review the experimental evaluations of several widely marketed nonprescription compounds claimed to be memory enhancers and treatments for age-related memory decline. We generally limit our review to double-blind placebo-controlled studies. The compounds examined are phosphatidylserine (PS), phosphatidylcholine (PC), citicoline, piracetam, vinpocetine, acetyl-L-carnitine (ALC), and antioxidants (particularly vitamin E). RESULTS: In animals, PS has been shown to attenuate many neuronal effects of aging, and to restore normal memory on a variety of tasks. Preliminary findings with humans, though, are limited. For older adults with probable Alzheimer's disease, a single study failed to demonstrate positive effects of PS on memory performance. For older adults with moderate cognitive impairment, PS has produced consistently modest increases in recall of word lists. Positive effects have not been as consistently reported for other memory tests. There is one report (on PS) of consistent benefits across a number of memory tests for a subset of normal adults who performed more poorly than their peers at baseline. The choline compounds PC and citicoline are thought to promote synthesis and transmission of neurotransmitters important to memory. PC has not proven effective for improving memory in patients with probable Alzheimer's disease. The issue remains open for older adults without serious degenerative neural disease. Research on citicoline is practically nonexistent, but one study reported a robust improvement in story recall for a small sample of normally aging older adults who scored lower than their peers in baseline testing. Animal studies suggest that piracetam may improve neuronal efficiency, facilitate activity in neurotransmitter systems, and combat the age-related decrease in receptors on the neuronal membrane. However, for patients with probable Alzheimer's disease, as well as for adults with age-associated memory impairment, there is no clear-cut support for a mnemonic benefit of piracetam. Vinpocetine increases blood circulation and metabolism in the brain. Animal studies have shown that vinpocetine can reduce the loss of neurons due to decreased blood flow. In three studies of older adults with memory problems associated with poor brain circulation or dementia-related disease, vinpocetine produced significantly more improvement than a placebo in performance on global cognitive tests reflecting attention, concentration, and memory. Effects on episodic memory per se have been tested minimally, if at all. ALC participates in cellular energy production, a process especially important in neurons, and in removal of toxic accumulation of fatty acids. Animal studies show that ALC reverses the age-related decline in the number of neuron membrane receptors. Studies of patients with probable Alzheimer's disease have reported nominal advantages over a range of memory tests for ALC-treated patients relative to placebo groups. Significant differences have been reported rarely, however. Whether ALC would have mnemonic benefits for aging adults without brain disease is untested as far as we know. Antioxidants help neutralize tissue-damaging free radicals, which become more prevalent as organisms age. It is hypothesized that increasing antioxidant levels in the organism might retard or reverse the damaging effects of free radicals on neurons. Thus far, however, studies have found that vitamin E does not significantly slow down memory decline for Alzheimer's patients and does not produce significant memory benefits among early Parkinson's patients. Neither did a combination of vitamins E and C significantly improve college students' performance on several cognitive tasks. CONCLUSIONS: In sum, for most of the "brain-specific" nutrients we review, some mildly suggestive effects have been found in preliminary controlled studies using standard psychometric memory assessments or more general tests designed to reveal cognitive impairment. We suggest that future evaluations of the possible memory benefits of these supplements might fruitfully focus on memory processes rather than on memory tests per se.

(bolds added by me)

PS, PLEASE ask your doc about any interactions with your meds!!  I'm fairly AP ignorant, and you should ALWAYS ask your doc before adding a supplement.

good luck

Penny

ah yes i will deffinitely ask her.

and caffeine only be ocassional?  i have to drink it just to stay awake with the meds i am on!! O_O  otherwise i'd just sleep all day and night and then there'd be an even worse problem!

ah yes i will deffinitely ask her.

and caffeine only be ocassional?  i have to drink it just to stay awake with the meds i am on!! O_O  otherwise i'd just sleep all day and night and then there'd be an even worse problem!

which med is making you so sedated?  is it the seroquel?  (your sig says you are titrating off it?  are you still doing this?)

it could be that the sedation is what is messing w/ your memory as effexor (as far as i've heard) doesn't mess w/ memory...

some people take provigil to counteract the sedation from APs... you may want to ask about that in addition to supplements.

caffine from coffee (as far as i've read) in moderation seems to be ok healthwise.  (for some reason it's not ok in sodas... bizarre huh?)

in terms of the supplements i listed in my previous posts, ENADalert helps the most with energy...

let us know how things go

penny

no no not seroquel (THAT was a lesson well put.  i could sleep for days on seroquel), geodon.  even 20 mg capsules make me sleep.  i can take like 10 mg, and a dr pepper and i'm fine, though.

i am supposed to be taking the 100mg but it being xmas time, and the muses in my head telling me not to take my meds in fear they'll disappear (they are totally benign, they've even saved my life a few times), i've not been taking the full dose even after being scolded for not doing so.

i will ask about the provigil.  i have no trouble sleeping, just waking up.

i drink the caffeine in the form of soda and tea.  which is really bad since i have back problems, tachycardia and muscle disease >>  if my mother (she's bipolar also and very paranoid) would let me i would buy the caffeine pills and take like a really low dose of them.......

the med that is messing with my memory is the Clonazepam.  I used to have a very good memory before taking it.

the med that is messing with my memory is the Clonazepam.  I used to have a very good memory before taking it.

how long have you been on it?  could you maybe be able to scale back your usage to PRN? maybe that would help?  (though, there were times when i needed my klonopin every day, and if you need it right now, then you need it, you know?)

maybe just another thing to talk to your doc about.

best,

penny

i definitely need it three times a day.

i need it also for seizures.

ah.  didn't know you had seizures. then by all means please stay on theat klonopin!

hm.

i've run out of advice other than what i mentioned earlier in the thread.  but double extra check the saftey of supplements since you have seizures.

take care,

penny

• 2 weeks later...

no no not seroquel (THAT was a lesson well put.  i could sleep for days on seroquel), geodon.  even 20 mg capsules make me sleep.  i can take like 10 mg, and a dr pepper and i'm fine, though.

i am supposed to be taking the 100mg but it being xmas time, and the muses in my head telling me not to take my meds in fear they'll disappear (they are totally benign, they've even saved my life a few times), i've not been taking the full dose even after being scolded for not doing so.

i will ask about the provigil.  i have no trouble sleeping, just waking up.

i drink the caffeine in the form of soda and tea.  which is really bad since i have back problems, tachycardia and muscle disease >>  if my mother (she's bipolar also and very paranoid) would let me i would buy the caffeine pills and take like a really low dose of them.......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that clonazepam will do that to ya! lol

perhaps you are taking too much or taking too much during the AM?  i thought when i took it (klonopin), it would mess me up more in the daytime when i took it than at night, as far as memory problems and stuff like that.

I missed this thread the first time around but thought I'd jump in anyway and say that the one thing I've found that has best countered the stupidifying effect of any med I've been on is time.  I didn't think I'd be able to stand tegretol it made me so stupid but six months in it's fine.  Ditto with seroquel.  If you can just stick with a cocktail for a few months the worst of the side effects might go away on their own.

None of my friends or family will believe me when I tell them the meds are making me dumber.  The worst is when I forget whether I have taken my nighttime dose and I have to decide whether I should go ahead and take one and risk doubling the dose or not take one and risk skipping a dose.  Oh, the irony of it all.

You haven't heard this stuff yet probably:

My suggestions come from my experience wtih Lithium and how it made me less intelligent than the average 4-yr-old. Here are ideas, especially for Lithium and Seroquel issues:

-drink sports drink with your doses (not kidding)

-write for awhile every day wtih your opposite hand

-play an instrument for a little every day if you have one. Buy a cheap recorder and learn scales or something easy if you don't already have one. Or sing. Do something.

-crossword puzzles.

I rebelled sometimes, but when I did the stuff it seemed to help. This is the kind of stuff they have Alzheimer's people do. Also get some exercise in and don't forget to try to sweat a bit. It is great for the body and mind.

My memory sucks too due to the mixed thing going on. Sometimes, justg be easy on yourself and it will seem easier to remember and you won't feel as foggy.

-------loon-------

Guest FrannyNZooey

Just wanted to add really feel for you, I have been doing it all the time, and just past few months, like making up my own words, and just being dumb when really mean things sincerely.

So guess classic foot in mouth.

Example with husbands clients at flyers ice hockey game, we were talking about all the stars adoptions etc.

OK I can not drink for many reasons, and this could add to list. So, was not drinking.

I said, "Oh I so want a CamBambino Baby."

They all looked at me as if joking or totally ignorant.

Hubby just put arm around me, and smiled and said, "Honey I'll work on that for you."

Then they all laughed, as I sat there feeling like town idiot once again ;)

First I would so love a baby, and thought of all the babies still in Vietnam, China, oh so many countries I wanted to point out that is beautiful instead of needing the genetically perfect baby.

Secondly I was raised in very Italian household, and spent much time with Grandparents that only came over in late teens, 20.

So, in my brain the word for baby, a slip, of the conscience mind?

I have been doing it so much I am afraid to talk.

I have seriously been thinking of getting where they wire brain to check for temperal damage etc.

for I am not on meds that should do this.

I am on Lexapro 10 mg, and Klonopin 1 mg at bedtime.

Been for while, but this is happening and worse by just couple months.

Well good luck, let you know if I find out anything.

Aly

Archived