CrazyBoards.org

My pdoc recently gave me samples of this new AAP called Rexulti.

apparently it's very new and I was wondering if anyone else heard of it or is taking it.

i hope it works.

I've heard of it. It's supposed to be like Abilify except with fewer side effects (less akathisia, less prone to weight gain, etc.). I don't know how much is true because it looks a lot like a patent extender for Abilify, but time will tell. I wish you luck with it.

I started it the day after it came out. I have to say, I can tolerate the Rexulti and I couldn't tolerate Ability. So far, so good, but we'll see.

• Like 1

FINALLY, found a few others on Rexulti!

I've been on it for 2 weeks now. Titrated up to 1mg about four days ago, and I can't believe it, but it's working. I know there's concern about it being a patent extender, but it doesn't come close to my previous experience with Abilify,  which gave me awful akathesia and made me feel like I had windchimes in my head. In short I wouldn't throw it under the bus until you give it a try. 

My side effects have been very minimal so far. Anyone else have any side effects worth mentioning?  Or any good results yet? 

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it keeps working for me. So few meds work for my depression that I'm worried it'll end. 

• Like 2

I am on 6 mg now. I only had a minimal response to it at 4 mg and my psychiatrist called the company and they said a higher dose could be more effective. I am definitely seeing an improvement on 6. As far as side effects, maybe a little restlessness, but not much. I am loving this medicine so far.

• Like 1

I am on 6 mg now. I only had a minimal response to it at 4 mg and my psychiatrist called the company and they said a higher dose could be more effective. I am definitely seeing an improvement on 6. As far as side effects, maybe a little restlessness, but not much. I am loving this medicine so far.

I know Dusk, I'm quickly turning into a Rexulti fan girl. I keep thinking, it's gotta be too good to be true and wondering whether my kidneys will shrivel later on or something haha. 

Good to know that I can titrate up much higher. Have you noticed any weight gain? I haven't seen any so far for myself.  I've had some anxiety,  but I always have anxiety so who knows. 

• Like 2

No, I haven't had any weight gain at all, which was really important to me as I'm already severely overweight from taking antipsychotics for so many years. I think the max dosage for Rexulti is 4 mg for schizophrenia (I either have that or schizoaffective), so it surprised me that my pdoc would put me on 6 mg, but I trust him. I don't know if many dr.'s would do it, though.

• Like 1

Rexulti is structurally similar to Abilify and was designed to be "more tolerable". From what I've read, it causes more weight gain that Abilify does, but less akathisia. 

It hits 5-HT1A and norepinephrine receptors harder than Abilify does, so its binding profile is a bit different; its doesn't hit dopamine as a hard or as fast as Abilify and it is much less of a partial agonist at D2/D3, as well.

• Like 1

I just started 1mg this morning. I'm taking it for anxiety/depression.  I hope it works.

zsepthenne, how long before you noticed an improvement with your symptoms?

Edit on day three:  I've noticed that my mind is finally calming down! 

Edited by Fluffypinkbunny

I wanted to take this however, it doesn't seem to help with Bipolar only schizophrenia.

I think it's safe to say that an antipsychotic that treats schizophrenia will likely treat bipolar disorder pretty well, too. When it comes down to insurance covering it for an "off-label" use, however, I suppose things would get tricky depending on your provider. According to the makers of Rexulti, they aren't actively pursuing a bipolar indication at this time, and are instead looking to venture out into other mood and anxiety disorders. But that's just something I read.

I am going to start 0.5 mg of Rexulti tomorrow for major OCD. Has anyone else taken it for OCD? Also how soon should I be able to tell if it is helping?

Same here.  Am on my 3rd day of taking it.  Also on 10mg of Lexapro and tramadol (which my psychiatrist is a big fan of for OCD???). 

I'm taking this. I'm like a month an half in I had gone up to 1mg and had to come back to .5mg due to side effects. I feel it helps my happiness. But it acctually isn't doing a thing for my anxiety. At least at this current time it isnt. I am sick so that could be why. I also recently went on topamax to try to get my weight down. And despite my appetite dropping (in not even averaging 1200 calories a day) I haven't lost a lbs. The weight I packed on was during a trial run of vybryd. We went back to my original set up I had taken without weight issues. Added topamax and rexulti. So I'm assuming the rexulti is preventing weight loss? Anyone else noticing this? 

On another note. I should add I'm a difficult case. My Dr. Won't specifically give me straight dx yet after seeing me 1.5 yrs. There is depression, anxiety, periods of panic. Mention of bipolar with mixed states. Mention of ocd.  So yea this is just a test med. The side effects I mention was not being able to sleep, and headaches. Comeing back down though from 1mg to .5mg was HARD surprisingly. 

Oh, there Are some folks on it! My doc added it to my cocktail for depression. In my body: it feels nothing like Abilify and it makes me mildly manic.. ..no akithesia (sp)..I've had insomnia, memory loss, incoordination but no depression. I've been on 0.5 mg for just a few days but (in my body) it's a very powerful drug. Good luck, all, and I'll try to follow this thread.

Any updates on how any of you are doing on Rexulti? I'm in the process of going off abilify and onto Latuda (switching because of weight gain) BUT my dr suggested Rexulti as an option if the Latuda doesn't work for me. I'm mainly interested in weight gain or loss.

also, my diagnosis is MDD, GAD and panic disorder

2 hours ago, Emily1684 said:

Any updates on how any of you are doing on Rexulti? I'm in the process of going off abilify and onto Latuda (switching because of weight gain) BUT my dr suggested Rexulti as an option if the Latuda doesn't work for me. I'm mainly interested in weight gain or loss.

also, my diagnosis is MDD, GAD and panic disorder

I've gained weight but I can't say it's completely related to rexulti though cause I've been slowly putting weight back on since I had I huge weight crash with my initial depression/anxiety episode. And then a huge weight gain during my trial of vybriid and haven't been able to lose any of that. I just came off rexulti last week(been on it a couple months now). I just felt it wasn't the med for me. I tried it at 1mg and .5mg. At 1mg I couldn't sleep. When I went to .5 I crashed hard mood wise for about a week. Not exactly suicidal but thinking about suicide. And when I came off this time I did it real slow(with Dr blessing) and still had a day of the thinking about suicide. I'm hoping maybe it was the rexulti that was holding my weight hostage and I can finally get the weight I gain on the vibyiid to finally go away.