CrazyBoards.org

9 hours ago, wrensfolly said:

Hey all, new poster.  Treatment-resistant depression for...ever.  Just tried Rexulti and am humbled & amazed to feel like myself again.  Hanging at 1mg, felt a bit sleepless at more.  Please note patent extenders are not solely that--typically they are an isomer (variant) of the original which are sort of the essential core of the drug, with fewer side effects.  Still sucks that pharma does this, but for those who need the treatment it's a lifesaver.

Actually in this case brexpiprazole is structurally similar to aripiprazole but isn't itself a pro-drug or metabolite of aripiprazole. However, the chemical structure was likely designed after aripiprazole. It yielded very different results though. Sedating at lower doses and activating at higher ones. They ended up coming up with a drug that behaved more like Seroquel (what with the fact that Rexulti causes more weight gain than Abilify).

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 4:25 PM, browri said:

Actually in this case brexpiprazole is structurally similar to aripiprazole but isn't itself a pro-drug or metabolite of aripiprazole. However, the chemical structure was likely designed after aripiprazole. It yielded very different results though. Sedating at lower doses and activating at higher ones. They ended up coming up with a drug that behaved more like Seroquel (what with the fact that Rexulti causes more weight gain than Abilify).

I say this like Rexulti is somehow a dysfunctional medication when it really isn't. It may cause slightly more weight gain than Abilify, but the apparent lack of comparable akathisia combined with the fact that it's (at least on paper) more effective for depressive and anxiety disorders than Abilify makes it a rising star

--Blocking alpha 2 receptors increases serotonin and norepinephrine release.

--Blocking alpha 1 receptors counteracts the upstream release of norepinephrine from alpha 2 antagonism and these two effects combined may explain its efficacy in anxiety, panic, and PTSD.

--Partial yet near FULL agonist at 5HT1A receptors should have an antidepressant effect.

--Blockade across the board at 5HT2 receptor family should improve depressive disorders and combined with alpha 1 antagonism should reduce akathisia.

--5HT7 antagonism should have a positive impact on depression and negative symptoms of psychosis, but should also work to correct circadian rhythm issues

--A more balanced intrinsic activity of 40/60 (activating/blocking) at D2 and D3 receptors should allow for more normal dopamine neurotransmission while dampening "surges". Because it's more of an antagonist than an agonist, this should increase dopamine release.

So far, Rexulti has proven these effects in practice. My pdoc regards it more as an antidepressant and anxiolytic and uses it in low doses of 1mg or less in several patients he's currently treating. He has noted though that Rexulti is pretty consistent when it comes to weight gain. It isn't one of those where depending on the person you might gain or you might not. It's almost always a "gainer". So you would want to pair it with meds that don't cause weight gain (excluding SSRIs/SNRIs).

So we're certain Rexulti is worse for weight gain than Abilify? I might switch if that's the case.

14 hours ago, mcjimjam said:

So we're certain Rexulti is worse for weight gain than Abilify? I might switch if that's the case.

I would say if you've been taking Rexulti and you have gained weight and it is bothersome then switching to Abilify may cause some weight loss.....MAY. not sure it's worth switching though because the efficacy of Rexulti in depressive and anxiety disorders exceeds that of Abilify and despite the weight gain it is more tolerable than Abilify for many.

So that being said, switch if you think it's right for you.

My pdoc says Rexulti weight gain is still nothing like weight gain from Seroquel or Zyprexa from what he's seen.

45 minutes ago, alotofhelpfrommyfriends said:

My insurance wants to charge the maximum for these ($500 for a 90-day supply). It would be the same price no matter the dosage. Does anyone know whether these can be split? That would cut the cost in half...

Good RX will give you a coupon for a 90 day supply is about $40.00. They are on the Internet: https://www.goodrx.com

58 minutes ago, alotofhelpfrommyfriends said:

My insurance wants to charge the maximum for these ($500 for a 90-day supply). It would be the same price no matter the dosage. Does anyone know whether these can be split? That would cut the cost in half...

My bottle says nothing about not cutting the pills in half so you probably can.

1 hour ago, notloki said:

Good RX will give you a coupon for a 90 day supply is about $40.00. They are on the Internet: https://www.goodrx.com

I only see the 90 day supplies as over $3,300 on the link you provided for Good RX when I searched rexulti. I would really like to have this coupon for $40 for a 90 supply. It would save a great deal of money if my pdoc prescribes this med for me.

Can you provide a direct link to the rexulti Good RX page or a picture of what you found or anything? Maybe the deal is already gone?

I appreciate any help! Thanks so much!

2 hours ago, alotofhelpfrommyfriends said:

Have you tried the rexulti savings card? Found here.....

https://www.rexulti.com/us/mdd/savings?ceid=10574&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=brandedmdd_dtc&utm_term=rexultisavingscard-sitelink&utm_content=branded_textad_sitelink&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQjww7HsBRDkARIsAARsIT6V1Iaq8h30RPEOfZH5w9sFK30P-TxQ4D4mCNlRXKXunVLX1ryC_bEaAljWEALw_wcB

You can also check if you qualify for more assistance through their patient assistance program. I’m not sure of the income guidelines, but it’s worth a look. You can check eligibility here......

https://www.otsukapatientassistance.com/check-eligibility

• Like 1