CrazyBoards.org

I only take Lamictal and no other drug.  Despite my dr. saying that this isn't happening, I CRAVE sugar.  I am normally healthy and athletic but ever since Lamictal I have binged on loads of junk food without care or concern.  And I'm still exhausted!!  Never does it give me energy.  Not even for 5 minutes.  nothing helps, not excercise not altering the diet (and failing miserably at that) not anything! I am really tired all the time.  This is the only thing that has ever lifted my depression but I can't live the with the binging

My dr. has said I could do Topamax to cure the weight issues, but I cant afford to lose my memory anymore than i do.  should I try Topamax to help with binging?

Is anyone else experiencing this? (please reply!!)

I am also having sugar cravings.  As far as being lethargic, I only was when I first started, and after going up to 50mg.  It only lasted about a week.  I don't have that problem anymore.  The sugar cravings are bad, though.  Im not sure if it is just me or one of my meds causing it (am also on Abilify and Lexapro).

cherie:

I didn't get the sugar cravings, so I can't help you there. How long have you been on Lamictal? What dose are you at?

Now that I'm getting to a higher dose (175 mg currently, still titrating), my exhaustion has gone, and I'm sleeping better than I ever had before. If you're just starting, you do need to give it time.

Hope it gets better for you.

Take care,

revlow

hello,

i'm in my first week of 50 mg of lamictal. i notice i started eatting more sugar based stuff. gonna cut that out. haha. anyway. i'm sleeping better now. i do feel a little exhausted now. Hopefully that will pass soon. I take 200 mg of topamax. I don't feel the need to eat all the time. which is nice. anyway, good luck with lamictal. matt

Guest luli2545

Um, kind of...like, at the end of the day I've been wanting: glazed donuts, oatmeal with lots of butter and sugar, whatever I can get.

I think if I had complex carbs and protein earlier and more frequently during the day, I wouldn't crave so much in the p.m.

Also, I'm wondering if it my body/mind being tired and not paying attention to being tired, and just wanting to eat instead.

I don't have my normal cycle of alertness & tiredness like I had prior to lamictal. I'm on 50 mg per day, just started splitting the doses instead of 50 at bedtime. Now I do 25 around dinner time and 25 at bed time. Supposed to go up to 75 and I don't want to yet.

Luli

I craved carbs so bad (for some reason I had to have pancakes with syrup), I was ready for bed at 8 pm but made myself stay up until 9 because of my son, gained about 30 lbs in 5-6 months.

I am off of it now, am not as tired and the cravings are gone.  The weight is s-l-o-w-l-y comng off, but I am not torturing myself with a strict diet.

I felt ok depression wise, but it wasn't worth the cravings and weight gain.

kane

Hmmm...I haven't had this craving for sweets at all since starting Lamictal. If anything, it's gone down for me, but I suspect that may have more to do with my being in late perimenopause-almost menopause. (Yes, Ladies...there actually will be a time when you won't be jonesing for chocolate like a maniac!)

This thread goes to show yet again what a mysterious drug this Lamictal is, how hard it is to pin down!

firedancer you are on many meds - it could be the paxil or seroquel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just started Seroquel to help me sleep last Friday, so I have only taken it a couple of times, so I'm guessing that it is not that.  And I have taken Paxil before and it actually decreases my appetite for most things, including chocolate, at first and I haven't been on it long.

I never bought M&Ms in the big bags before Lamictal.  And it was fast too - at 25mg I was feeling the cravings but thought it was just me. ;)

This may be a hairbrain idea as to what might be causing this Lamictal/sugar craving reaction...but are all of us women here on this thread? Maybe the known interaction between female hormones and Lamictal may have something to do with this? Just a thought.

As we all know, the strength of female hormones on sugar cravings (especially premenstrual and menstrual, when estogen is at is at its lowest level) is powerful. From what I've read, it looks as if Lamictal can lower female hormones (hence, the breakthrough bleeding some women get). Maybe this makes sense that it would have this sugar-craving effect as well?

I don't know how this helps in curing the sugar craving. I'd certainly ask my doc about it, maybe ask about your hormone levels. If you've been reading the threads on Lamictal, you know that a lot of women are dealing with hormone-related issues and trying to get answers about the interaction with Lamictal to these. This includes women here of all ages and in all stages.

An aside, a favorite story of mine related to women craving chocolate during their periods. When my stepdaughter got her 1st period, we went off to the supermarket to get her some "supplies" of her own. Now, this was a kid who never cared for chocolate; she'd always gone for the sour candies. At one point, we happened to be walking down the candy aisle. But not just the candy aisle, it was the aisle where they had the big sized candy bars and bags of candy. As we were walking, she grabbed a huge chocolate bar -- I mean this thing was GIANT -- and asked "Can I get this?" At that point, I laughed and thought "Welcome to womanhood!" She asked what I was laughing about, and I explained it to her. "No way!" she said. She couldn't believe me. I told her to ask her mother, who of course confirmed this seemingly strange (to her) reality of being a woman.

<end of threadjack>

Archived