CrazyBoards.org

PMDD = 1/2 a life made useless

I'm starting to lose hope when it comes to treating my PMDD.  It seems like the meds out there will squash the symptoms that I get -- the overdramatic, moody, overemotional, tantrum-prone symptoms -- by making me completely unmotivated and apathetic.  At least when I'm PMDD crazy I'm partially FUNCTIONING.  But make me unmotivated and apathetic, and I just don't do a damn thing.  Sure, I'm not emotionally freaking out.  But I'm still doing damage to my life...

I've tried Zoloft and Effexor, and started Paxil but stopped once I learned about its interaction with Strattera.  The Zoloft made me evil 100% of the time rather than 50% of the time, and the Effexor caused such apathy that I nearly lost my job and quit school before the insomnia combined with exhaustion got to be too much.  Paxil was helping my generalized anxiety but I was sleeping a lot.  It seems my only other option is Lexapro, which I've read can cause apathy.  I was also given Zyprexa, which I'm also concerned could lead to apathy.

There is no normal.  It's one bad option for another.  I just want to be able to function.  I know what that's like because I can do it, for the most part, for two weeks every month.  I'm at a loss of what to do now or what I should hope for.  :-(

Thanks for listening to me whine.

• 3 months later...

I'm looking for answers also, Ahalo. My p-doc was totally unhelpful with treating this, so I've been doing a lot of research and trying to find what works and what doesn't.

The thing about PMDD is that there are many symptoms, so *just* taking a particular med doesn't always cut it.

Anyway, here is what I've found that works:

Exercise: extremely important for relieving stress and helping your brain to function. I've found it has an immediate stress-relief and a calming effect, so I try to exercise throughout the day - a long brisk walk or jog works like magic.

Sleep: Do whatever you can to make sure you sleep 8-9 hours every night. Makes such a difference.

Diet: I've been eating off <a href="http://www.wholehealthmd.com/hk/remedies/disp/1,1459,502,00.html">this food list</a>, and I swear it is helping. Also, avoid sugar and fried foods at all costs. Avoid alcohol as well. 

Ibuprofin/Naproxen Sodium(Aleve): Been taking Advil a couple of times a day to reduce swelling and sensitivity. Aleve works great as well. 

Reduce Stress: I try to avoid stressful situations or relationships, and I make tell the people in my life what I'm dealing with, and that they can help me by avoiding conflict during that time. 

Medications: I'm using 10 mg Paxil every other day, to keep me from being depressed and negative. I've heard Zoloft works as well. I'm taking it every other day to reduce side effects and withdrawal symptoms. Sometimes I'll take Xanax if I'm feeling anxious.

That's all I got right now. This stuff works for me.

Archived