CrazyBoards.org

Films that get you through

As I sit here watching 'One flew over the cuckoos nest' I got thinking of any of the movies I have seen that have reasonated with me and made me feel hope for the future. Among mine are:

A Beautiful Mind (I really identified with this one, especially when I was psychotic)

28 Days (Being unwilling to do therapy, friends killing themslves etc are themes)

Girl, Interrupted (A great story that stuck with me)

Good Will Hunting (Really spoke to me of being abused and the reality of therapy)

Anyone have any others?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I sit here watching 'One flew over the cuckoos nest' I got thinking of any of the movies I have seen that have reasonated with me and made me feel hope for the future. Among mine are:

A Beautiful Mind (I really identified with this one, especially when I was psychotic)

28 Days (Being unwilling to do therapy, friends killing themslves etc are themes)

Girl, Interrupted (A great story that stuck with me)

Good Will Hunting (Really spoke to me of being abused and the reality of therapy)

Anyone have any others?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OMG, you should not have asked this question.

Ace Ventura Pet Detective

Undercover Brother

These are my 2 top go to comedies when I'm ready to pull the plug.

I am movie, music, book and art superfreak. I make references to something in almost every post I make, but especially movies.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is way at the top of my drama list. In fact, whenever I see Clementine (Imhop? Did I get that right) her avatar, it makes my stomach do this weird flip flop. I loved that movie so much.

s

At the moment, Garden State is my most watched dvd at the moment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh yeah, I want Cerberus to watch that one. As he is the Inn Keeper of the Abyss, and I just love that odyssey they take in the end and then when they stand there and yell into the abyss...

Also, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle, Orange County...

Movies that made me feel hope for the future (in an important sense):

The Big Lebowski (arguably the funniest movie made in color)

Blazing Saddles

Duck Soup, Animal Crackers, A Day at the Races, A Night at the Opera, Horse Feathers, (the only Marx Bros films I avoid are "Love Happy" and "Room Service")

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein

The Bank Dick (W.C. Fields was a genius)

The Blues Brothers

Jackass the Movie

The Pink Panther

Road to Morocco

Up In Smoke

Nothing restores my faith in life like laughter. It's a glimpse of the sun between ominous thunderclouds. It hits at a primordial level, short-circuiting despair. (I don't usually like films about triumph in the face of adversity or dramas involving MI).

Watched The Motorcycle Diaries again recently found it incredibly uplifting for an off day... and the fact that the very sexy Gael Garcia Bernal, who plays Cuban revolutionary, Che Guevara, is in it is always a reason to get happy.  Made me want to go to South America, get a bike, and make the trip myself.

Touching the Void, is also a nice doco for a pick me up... it's about two mountain climbers who encounter some pretty horrific trouble up a massive mountain, nearly die, but don't.  Their story, the cinematography, and the acting in the re-enactment, is just unreal.

Jon Krakower wrote the book, Into thin Air, about the '96 Everest disaster. An Imax team was on the same climb, I forget what they ultimately called their movie, Everest? My oldfart brain just work up. Anyhow, I saw that on an Imax screen and it was staggerlying beautiful. Note to Boyd: If I could stand any kind of winter sport, that would be it--maybe in the next life. ~S~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep it was called Everest... I worked at IMAX when it was on, and if you liked that then Touching the Void would blow you away... I think more so.  It's set in the Peruvian Andes...

Personally, I find the more depressing a film, the more it cheers me up, especially if it has to do with mental illness!

Betty Blue (Jean Jacques Bienix)

Through a Glass Darkly (Ingmar Bergman)

Hour of the Wolf (Ingmar Bergman)

Family Life (Ken Loach)

4 deeply depressing films about mental illness that never cease to make me grin like a lunatic!

Personally, I find the more depressing a film, the more it cheers me up, especially if it has to do with mental illness!
Have you ever seen 'night mother?

My favorite *depressing* movie is "The Sweet Hereafter" There is plenty of MI in it, mostly of the family dysfunction variety, but they are subplots.

Heya,

I like car crashes, disasters, and zombies.

Also scifi, evidently.

I watch Aliens a lot when feeling out of it.

I particularly like Shaun of the Dead, in which they end up treating zombie-hood as MI.

--ncc--

Guest FrannyNZooey

Touching the Void, is also a nice doco for a pick me up... it's about two mountain climbers who encounter some pretty horrific trouble up a massive mountain, nearly die, but don't.  Their story, the cinematography, and the acting in the re-enactment, is just unreal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jon Krakower wrote the book, Into thin Air, about the '96 Everest disaster. An Imax team was on the same climb, I forget what they ultimately called their movie, Everest? My oldfart brain just work up. Anyhow, I saw that on an Imax screen and it was staggerlying beautiful. Note to Boyd: If I could stand any kind of winter sport, that would be it--maybe in the next life. ~S~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Saw both, and S~ one your talking about at Imax also, called Everest. They are exhillerating, take your mind off daily BS!

Aly

Archived