CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
KateBeckett

Discussing Medical Leave in an Interview?

Last year I was working a job on overnights which ended up causing me to become very depressed (more than I already was) and ultimately suicidal.  I quit the job and have been looking for work again the last several months.  I have an interview tomorrow and while I have had a bunch of interviews this last month, I don't know if I should ever mention that I took a leave of absence to deal with my depression (which is practically gone now after 11 years).  If I do mention it, what should I say or how much should I disclose?  I don't know if it is important, but the job is for a client coordinator at a vet clinic.

Personally, I would not bring it up unless specifically asked about it.

I agree with Melissa - I would not bring it up, ether. When asked, I would say that maybe the schedule of the previous job did not suit you. Talking about medical issues in the first interview could be a faux pas. Good luck!

Absolutely do not bring it up. If they ask you about medical conditions, it is actually illegal, and you don't have to disclose. In fact, don't disclose at a job unless you start needing accommodations.

Seriously, this would not only be a faux pas, it would get you kicked from the list of people they are considering. Not fair, but true.

The only thing with disclosing the MI though, is that if they ask you about it, and if you don't answer that question, they could assume a lot and put your name at the bottom of the list (and they can do that ... not because of the MI, but they "find" other reasons why they did that). 

They could do that too if you told them about it ... but if asked, I wouldn't lie.  Maybe play the severity of it down (ie that it wasn't a big deal and you are over it, didn't last that long), but I wouldn't lie. IMO, lies can come back to haunt people.  If you start needing accommodations for the MI, they might wonder why because in the interview you denied having it, and realized you lied about it during the interview. 

I don't have any more suggestions but wanted to bring this up.  But in the end, if it is never brought up, I would not voluntarily bring it up.

Kind of between a rock and a hard place.