CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Britton

rTMS? Anxiety/derealization/panic/dizziness/vertigo

Hello all...so I'm not sure if I should be posting in the dissociative section or anxiety...I'm all over the place. But according to all the doctors I've seen, my derealization is caused by severe anxiety and OCD. 

Though no stranger to anxiety and depression, long story short, I had a bad panic attack in December. I haven't been the same since. For 9 months I've been stuck in a state of derealization, panic, anxiety, vertigo, brain fog, OCD racing thoughts, poor cognition, insomnia and subsequently depression. I NEVER get a break. I can't take it anymore.

I have been to THREE inpatient facilities since December. Nobody seems to know what to do with me. Most at medications I've tried have made me worse.

5 weeks ago I decided to have my Mirena IUD (birth control) taken out in hopes that it would help. Well, it didn't. My symptoms have gotten worse. I've been having nearly daily panic attacks on top of my constant derealization and anxiety. My vertigo and derealization has gotten so bad all I can do is lay on the couch and shake. It's horrible. I am at my wits end.

i have been reading up on rTMS therapy. Has anyone tried this? I Really don't know how much more of this I can take. I have a consultation for TMS scheduled for next week. I'm just afraid of it making my symptoms even worse. I would primarily do it for anxiety. I know that at this point it would be off label which kind of worries me. 

I just started DBT/psychotherapy last week. Hoping that will help:)

Please let me know if anyone has tried TMS or has an option on this:)

I just pray pray that the derealization and vertigo will eventually subside. It's been nearly 10 months straight of this. Seems like it's never going to end...that I'm going to be stuck in this state forever. 

Current meds:

zoloft 50 mg

geodon 40 mg

ativan 1 mg 3x day

minipress 3mg

Edited by Britton

I'm sorry you are feeling so crappy.  Does your current pdoc have a plan of what s/he wants to try (rTMS, other meds, med adjustments, etc)? 

I haven't heard of rTMS, but if your DR says ok to it, then maybe it is worth a shot?  I know you are concerned of making side effects worse, but you never know, maybe the rTMS will help.

I hope the therapy and DBT work out in helping you.

I haven't heard of rTMS either.

Just to be safe, have you had your inner ears looked at? One of our members has an illness that gives him permanent vertigo as a symptom, and it took a while for them to figure out what was wrong. Even though he does have a psychiatric illness, the illness that was causing the vertigo was physical.

CBT might also be useful for panic and anxiety. Good for you for being pro-active about the DBT.

I do have a vestibular weakness in my left ear. I'm going to another ENT for a 3rd opinion in October. Hope he has some good ideas for me. 

Was the member who has permanent vertigo ever able to get it under control? 

rTMS is a magnetic therapy, a gentler less intrusive option to ECT. It is FDA approved for treatment resistant depression, but is also used off label for other psychiatric conditions, including OCD and anxiety. 

Edited by Britton

Well, it turns out he has a physical disease that makes it difficult for him to exert much energy, so he is knocked out by the illness (which is underlying the vertigo) as well as the dizziness. I haven't seen him in a while (he pops up when he can, his user name is Emmettman). But I was under the impression he was doing a little better. Only a little.

He hasn't posted in quite a while. I am actually worried about him.

To bounce off what crtclms said, Meniere's disease causes vertigo, hearing loss, etc. My grandfather had it, and when I was tested for it a while back, the doctor said the symptoms can be worsened by too much caffeine, sodium, and stress (of course, the three things in my life I can't get rid of!). Here's the wikipedia page on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ménière's_disease

How are you feeling about your Zoloft dosage? Not to be a pill-pusher, but I've seen 50mg as the initial lower dose. Google says 50-200mg. If it's doing its job at 50, that's probably a good thing, but it sounds like it isn't doing much for you. :/

Ya, at one of the inpatient facilities I was at they did one of those gene saliva tests on me to see what medications would be best for me. Apparently I'm not a canidate for ssri's. So they took me off. But my racing OCD thoughts got worse, so my doc put me back on 50 when I got home. I also have "tendencies" towards bipolar disorder I guess, so I have to be careful with ssri's. Theoretically that's what I need the most is something to control my anxiety and OCD. 

I'm nit sure what to do about the vertigo. It's killing me and has gotten so much worse since having the IUD removed, but of course the doctors do believe me or see the connection. Ugh.

Edited by Britton

Ya, at one of the inpatient facilities I was at they did one of those gene saliva tests on me to see what medications would be best for me. Apparently I'm not a canidate for ssri's. Do they took me off. But my racing thoughts got worse, so my doc put me back on 50 when I got home. I also have "tendencies" towards bipolar disorder I guess, so I have to be careful with ssri's. Ugh. Theoretically that's what I need the most.

Oh man, that's no fun. It sounds like it's really confusing trying to figure out a treatment that will do more good than harm! 

Have you been checked for a hormone imbalance? Do you get significantly more anxious before or during your period? I'm just wondering if the IUD was helping to even things out if you started feeling worse after having it removed. A birth control like Nuvaring releases hormones continuously (the pill can cause fluctuations) and probably at a higher level than an IUD. You can even use it like the pill and skip the week break to stop your periods. I have poly-cystic ovarian syndrome, which causes super-evil cramps and irregular cycles (think every two weeks). For me, the Nuvaring has been amazing at keeping things more predictable and less painful. 

I'm having my hormones tested. Problem is that the IUD has my body all messed up, and I'm not regular, so we don't have a good time to have my blood drawn for an accurate picture, kind of a shot in the dark. Hoping this new doctor may be able to help me..

Edited by Britton
  • Like 1