CrazyBoards.org

As stated in my signature, I'm taking zoloft, depakote ER, now started lamictal (about a week ago), I take xanax during the day and ativan to sleep at night. I am nauseated 24/7. My former pdoc said he had never had a patient complain of nausea on depakote, which is what I suspected was causing it, since the time on zoloft alone (other than a tremendous amount of jaw-clenching) went pretty well.

New pdoc says to take 2 depakote at night, and the third in the am, that might help. It does not, and he's out of town for the holidays. I'm not incapacitated, it just really puts a f'ing damper on my day to feel this way. I drink plenty of water, which can help to a small degree, but it's still there. Oh, and I do eat when I take my meds.

I have an appt at the end of Jan, I'll survive til then, but then maybe someone's had experience and suggestions...?

Hi, rabbit...

How long has the nausea been happening? Did it coincide with your starting Lamictal? Nausea does occur with Lamictal in some people, especially when you first start taking it, and it tends to go away after awhile. Here's one thread that mentions this: http://www.crazyboards.org/index.php?showt...6741&hl=athlete, though it is more about lack of appetite.

Hi, rabbit...

How long has the nausea been happening? Did it coincide with your starting Lamictal?

No, it's been going on for some time now. I started depakote in... early October? Now I don't remember, but it's been a while. It's just a low-key thing that's extremely annoying, and doesn't help when my nerves are already frayed.

My old pdoc had talked about getting off the depakote after we've gotten to a good level with lamictal, so I'll be asking the new one about that.

Meanwhile, I guess I keep chewing gum. Thanks, Revlow.

Things to try: Eat small meals, soda crackers, rice cakes. At another thread somewhere, which dealt with nausea but I can't remember which crazy med was involved, someone suggested over-the-counter motion sickness meds, like Bonine (Meclizine hydrochloride), Dramamine or (in Canada) Gravol.

I'm shooting from the hip on this since I haven't wandered off to research it... One of the primary side effects of Depakote is stomach upset, and I know a number of members have mentioned taking antacids to settle their stomachs. Look through the Depakote threads.

I don't recall anyone mentioning stomach upset with Lamictal, nor did I experience it.

For nausea I hold with the time honored traditions of nibbling Soda cracker and sipping Ginger ale. 

Hope you feel better.

A.M.

Ginger is an old remedy for nausea, so you might want to try drinking an herbal ginger tea.  The bubbles in ginger ale make some people feel gassy. 

Ginger tea was used for seasickness before the era of pills, so it might help.

Good luck

olga

i second the ginger tea or boiling fresh ginger into a tea thing idea.

i've also found coke syrup to be very helpful for nausea.  it's in drugstores next to that anti nausea stuff for kids, but it's a lot cheaper.

of course, these are temp. solutions. 

i hope you figure out a better long-term solution with your pdoc

best

penny

The ginger ale sounds like a good shot (although I hate to either drink the sugar, or the sugar substitute). I'll try the tea again, but I have bad memories of it. When I was pg with my second, I had bad nausea, and the owner of a Korean restaurant made me a cup... omg, almost puked it up right then and there! (sorry, I know that's icky).

Hmmm, I have been drinking tea since I can no longer stomach coffee.... I'll try the ginger with a little honey.

Thanks

Guest billycat

I have dealt with this problem with migraines and with different meds as well.

what seems to work pretty good is just slowly eating a slice of the candied ginger that you can usually find in the baking section or the produce section at the grocery store...it's not as bitter as the root and it's stronger than tea. It really helps me I would give it a try.

I have dealt with this problem with migraines and with different meds as well.

what seems to work pretty good is just slowly eating a slice of the candied ginger that you can usually find in the baking section or the produce section at the grocery store...it's not as bitter as the root and it's stronger than tea. It really helps me I would give it a try.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or at least in my local stores, it is in the Asian foods section.

Just thought of another, 'cause well my stomach is queasy right now. Oats. I just take a spoonful and chew them or let them sit in my mouth until they are nothing. Don't swallow till they're really dissolved mush. Do another spoonful or two if you need it. Seems to help.

Just thought of another, 'cause well my stomach is queasy right now. Oats. I just take a spoonful and chew them or let them sit in my mouth until they are nothing. Don't swallow till they're really dissolved mush. Do another spoonful or two if you need it. Seems to help.

Oats? Ummm, dry oats?? No offense, but that *definitely* does not sound appealing! I'll keep it on my "if everything else fails" list.

Hmmm, I do have candied ginger in my pantry, didn't even think about that. I'll try it.

Today already isn't feeling too good, my stomach's doing flip-flops, I did eat a light breakfast and weak tea, now I've gotta muster the energy to clean the house. A few friends coming over after fireworks tomorrow night at the town square for some champagne. Just a sip for me.... I was good, and bought a bottle of sparkling cider.

Ugh. If I can clean the house today, I can SLEEP tomorrow!!!

Well, because my memory is worse than my nausea, I didn't think to pull out the ginger til today. It's crystallized ginger, is that the same thing as candied? anyway, it tasted quite good nibbling at it, and did seem to calm my stomach down a bit. I'll stop by the natural foods store tomorrow and get more, they sell it bulk.

It's crystallized ginger, is that the same thing as candied? anyway, it tasted quite good nibbling at it, and did seem to calm my stomach down a bit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yup. Exactly. I think ginger is great -- both love the taste, and I do think it helps with nausea.

I did remember something, if all else fails. I got some samples from my doc several months ago for something to help curb my nausea; it's called Zegerid. According to rxlist.com, it "... works by blocking acid production in the stomach. This medication is known as a proton pump inhibitor (PPI). It is used to treat acid-related stomach and throat (esophagus) problems (e.g., acid reflux or GERD, ulcers, erosive esophagitis, or Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome)." But for some reason, it did help against the nausea as well. Comes in little packets that you then mix in water.

God, I've had such a bad year and a half that I can't even remember for which of the many problems I had, with accompanying nausea, I was given this!

Guest billycat

Hey Rabbit              Glad to hear that the crystallized ginger helped you!    I keep some with me all the time.    And it *IS* yummy too. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived