CrazyBoards.org

Lamictal - 400mg to 200mg

I am going down on my Lamictal dose.  I dont think I need 400mg.  I was in the mode of "more is better" and now I think 200mg may have been ok.  I wasnt sure how good Lamictal should have made me feel, so I kept going up.  I feel the same at 400mg as I was at 200mg.

Anyway, I am a little mean today.  I was like this every time I went UP on Lamictal and I am just wondering if this is possible.  I am at 350mg and I will stay here until I level out... if I ever do.  My Doc retired and I was told that I could adjust as I wanted.  (I would anyway, with or without doc advice.  She said she knew this the whole time.  Anyway, no preaching, please.  I am just being honest.)  I see a knew doc in January, when my deductible starts over.

I am just wanting experience stories, please.

-Dirty

Anyway, I am a little mean today.  I was like this every time I went UP on Lamictal and I am just wondering if this is possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If it's happening to you, it's possible.

I am at 350mg and I will stay here until I level out... if I ever do.  My Doc retired and I was told that I could adjust as I wanted.  (I would anyway, with or without doc advice.  She said she knew this the whole time.  Anyway, no preaching, please.  I am just being honest.)  I see a knew doc in January, when my deductible starts over.

I am just wanting experience stories, please.

-Dirty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No personal experience w/Lamictal, but no preaching either. I suspect that if you can't tell much difference

in effect between 200 and 400mg, somewhere in the middle or back at 200 might work for you just as

well as the higher dose if not better.

(looking at RxList verbiagE)

It's reasonable that if the Lamictal is being used to moderate mood swings, tweaking would upset

your balance. A smaller change increment would be nice - but that would be a lot of pill splitting

and a wonky-looking prescription. I can't see a new pdoc going for that.

With the holiday slow-down it might be a while, but I suspect some other folks will be able to tell you

you're not alone in having a rougher time adjusting the dose downward than the PI sheet would

indicate. I'll agree that you're better off holding the dosage level until you stabilize and waiting

to talk to the new doctor before going further.

• 1 month later...

dirtywonderful

I found your topic during a search and wondered how you were doing with titrating down.

I am currently at 300mg. Everytime I titrated up, I also got mean and more mixed episodes. I was at 200mg for a month or two, and decided to titrate up because I was getting more depressed. Each level took about 2 weeks of adjustment, and it was rough. I had to rely more on Xanax than usual.

Hope you see this and let me know - thanks!

The studies show that Lamictal *usually* performs no better at doses above 200mg. The exception is women on hormonal contraception, who need to be on 400mg to feel like they are on 200mg. That's why I take so much Lamictal.

See if there are any free clinics in your area. They are HARD to find but will usually treat on a sliding scale or for free. That is how I get my drugs and mental health care. Not that I find my mental health care to be so great (pdoc=bad tdoc=good), but hey, it is free!

See what you can do. And do not adjust doses so dramatically. Lamictal CAN and WILL give you seizures even if you've never had them before if you just stop or go down suddenly on the shit.

--------loooooooooooon---------

Archived