CrazyBoards.org

Effexor - the real deal?

Guest Guest_thepunisher_*

Guest Guest_thepunisher_*

I am currently on zoloft and probably moving back to lexapro for another try.  They both make me tired but the lexapro works better for anxiety/ocd - but Obsessing is the real problem.

I take klonopin as needed and ambien cr for sleep.

The Nurse I see wants me to try lexapro next but I am to afraid because of the stories I have read about the discontinuation and also just it being a very tough medication.

I know it can raise blood pressure and cholesterol - but when do you have to worry about that?

Is this medication actually safe and is it true you can wind up on it forever?

I rather save this for my last hope if this is the case and work on the ssri's?  I haven't tried lexapro with wellbutrin or anything before?

The Nurse I see wants me to try lexapro next but I am to afraid because of the stories I have read about the discontinuation and also just it being a very tough medication.

I know it can raise blood pressure and cholesterol - but when do you have to worry about that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing you meant to say Effexor instead of Lexapro, considering the title. 

I have been taking Effexor for 4 years and over the summer discontinued it (I thought it was causeing some health issues which did not go away when I was off the Effex.) without having discontinuation syndrome.  I re-started taking it 2 months after and have been back on for 3 months.  Don't be afraid to try, it may be your "miracle" med.

• 1 month later...
Guest punisher

Do you use the effexor for your anxiety?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing you meant to say Effexor instead of Lexapro, considering the title. 

I have been taking Effexor for 4 years and over the summer discontinued it (I thought it was causeing some health issues which did not go away when I was off the Effex.) without having discontinuation syndrome.  I re-started taking it 2 months after and have been back on for 3 months.  Don't be afraid to try, it may be your "miracle" med.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

undefined

Do you use the effexor for your anxiety?

undefined

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll butt in and tell you my experience w/Effexor. I have anxiety and I find that Effexor helps it somewhat. At first, it made me feel more anxious---I'd need to take Xanax with it---but that also could have been because I was not in top mental condition (I was in the hospital). I also take Wellbutrin, which is totally necessary to counteract the sexual side-effects of Effexor.

I've taken Zoloft before and prefer Effexor---Zoloft made me fat and lifeless.

dianeb

For me, I had orgasms, but could not feel them. It was very strange. That was at the very beginning of starting Effexor with WB. After a week or so, that changed, thank the Lord! It was very embarrassing trying to explain that to my pdoc.

db

I was basically tired all the time and like "who cares" on the ssri's.  So for you the effexor worked?

I think it is just that after reading all of the horror stories with the medication who would want to take it?

For me, I had orgasms, but could not feel them. It was very strange. That was at the very beginning of starting Effexor with WB. After a week or so, that changed, thank the Lord! It was very embarrassing trying to explain that to my pdoc.

db

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the Effexor's working---I probably could use a higher dose--I'm only taking 75 mg and have been on it about 6 weeks. Frankly, I'm afraid to not take it. I was not happy to be prescribed it, but I was in no shape to fight the doctor in the ER. It was given to me when I was admitted for suicidal and homicidal thoughts. I no longer want to kill myself, so I guess that's a plus. I just wish I felt "happier." But I have a lot of crap going on in my life right now.

db

Effexor cut my anxiety by about 50%, so for me (used to be psycho style anxiety) I'm really pleased with my results.  I didn't find it a very harsh drug to start, my hand shook a bit until I got up to around 150mg and some jitteriness, but that stuff disappeared after a while.  I'd say, give it a go.  Maybe you could also add something else to "smooth" you out??

;)

Anyone get any jaw-clenching/teeth-chattering effects? Woke myself up yesterday with my teeth banging against one another, but am not sure if it was simply sleep deprivation, a bad dream, or Effexor-induced.

Anyone get any jaw-clenching/teeth-chattering effects? Woke myself up yesterday with my teeth banging against one another, but am not sure if it was simply sleep deprivation, a bad dream, or Effexor-induced.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did...and maybe still do a little bit, have the jaw clenching.  I think I noticed it more in the beginning, or when I upped the dose.  I really only notice it if I am concentrating on something.....

I have been on effexor for 6 years and take currently take 600 mg daily (have for the past 2yrs almost).......I know......it's a lot. But heck, it's working for me:). 

Hope it works for you too!

• 3 weeks later...

Yep,

I've been on Effexor at 75mg for 4 days now and have been pretty shakey. At the slightest chill my teeth chatter. It's almost like I'm teetering on the edge between shaking and teeth chattering or being calm. Kinda weird, but no biggy.

I was having a meeting with my boss a few days ago and he was watching me read my quarterly review. I new he was watching me, but the more I thought about it the more the paper in my hands shook. I wasn't nervous at all but I just couldn't stop till I put the paper down. It was kind of embarassing.

I have also really bee hit by to the jaw clenching. My girlfreind also got that one bad when she first started Effexor.

• 3 weeks later...

I just moved up to 112.5 mg. effexor this morning after a week each at 37.5 and 75.  In one week I will move to 150 mg. and stay there for a while.  No side-effects yet and it is really putting a dent in my depression.

Tommy

I think Effexor is pretty industrial strength and can be very good. It worked decent for me for 2-3 years before it pooped out. Terrible to go off of for some people.

As an aside, I wonder if it's worse for bipolars to reduce or go off a drug because their/our bodies don't like disruption or unstability of any kind.

Does effexor make anyone else light-headed or dizzy.  I am on my second day at 112.5 mg. and keep having momentary dizzy spells.  One lasted about three minues and I kind of stumbled to my cubicle.

Tommy

FWIW, Efexor worked for me, really helped with anxiety. But it made me so damn tired I couldn't take it because I just stayed home and slept all day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It actually makes me a bit more energetic.  I haven't had a dizzy spell since I took my klonopin just over 3 hours ago.

Tommy

FWIW, Efexor worked for me, really helped with anxiety. But it made me so damn tired I couldn't take it because I just stayed home and slept all day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It actually makes me a bit more energetic.  I haven't had a dizzy spell since I took my klonopin just over 3 hours ago.

Tommy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When I first read your post about dizzy spells, I was going to say it sounds similar to my general anxiety when it gets bad. Since klonopin helped maybe this is the case. Your body may not be used to the increased action on norepinephrine, which gets proportionately higher with the higher dose. That's my uneducated wild guess theory anyway.

[When I first read your post about dizzy spells, I was going to say it sounds similar to my general anxiety when it gets bad. Since klonopin helped maybe this is the case. Your body may not be used to the increased action on norepinephrine, which gets proportionately higher with the higher dose. That's my uneducated wild guess theory anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Makes sense to me.  Most of my anxiety has been of the uneasiness or terror variety.  And the klonopin definitely seems to have stoppedit for now.

Tommy

Archived