CrazyBoards.org

anyone got home remedies

so tomorrow its a week i have been out of hospital. a week of NO cutting (wish i could say the same about the vommitting)  but i am celebrating my week.

my main concern at the moment is my ugly UGLY ugly scars. i know time heals most wounds. but these ones i have from my last self injury which was actually 4 weeks ago (the week before i went into hospital) are very purple and seem to have really damaged the skin not like my usual once which i can see the healing taking place.

does anyone have home remedies for scars?? i have been using vitamin E cream and aloe vera but neither seem to help much.

i hate the fact that i am trying to get better but have these really disgusting scars as an everyday reminder of the battle in my mind.

Shea butter....the 100% stuff right off the boat from Africa. (http://www.agbangakarite.com/Shea-Butter/pure-shea-butter.htm)

It will help it heal better and faster, but truthfully, how bad you scar is going to be determined by genetics. The shea butter will just keep the skin healthy to get the best outcome possible.

You could also try Cold Pressed (first pressing) olive oil. Lots of good stuff for skin in unrefined olive oil.

The key with both of these natural extracts is to get UNREFINED. When you refine these oils, all the good vitamins, etc... get destoyed by the heat.

Avoid vitamin E....in some people it makes the healing process take longer.

it's not a home remedy (i never found any of those that work) but my dermo rx'd me this stuff called Cordran Tape (flurandrenolide tape)

you put it over your scars, it has something in it (i think a steroid) and it really makes the redness go away.  i had keloid scars, and it really made them much softer and less ropey.

you can try asking your doc for that.

my dermo said vitamin e didn't work... but maybe she was full of it, who knows?

but she was right on with this awesome tape stuff

Guest billycat

I had back surgery and the doc actually cut through the side of my neck to get to my spine and I used maderma every day 2 or 3 times a day for at least 6 months and you can just barley even tell that there is even a scar.

I just recently bought PreVentin-AT Advanced Scar Therapy from CVS for around $14.99.  I thought that since that was much cheaper than most other vanishing creams, that i would give it  shot.... we shall see, i guess..... im still screwed for my trip to florida in two days.... freaking out about that is fun! :::sarcasm:::

Penny,

Is the Cordran Tape only available from docs prescription?  Sounds like what I need for some upper arm scars.

yes, it's rx only.  i think i made a link to it above (it's underlined.)

it's really amazing stuff, esp if your scars kelate like mine do.

i've gotten it from a dermo the first time, but a GP can also prescribe it. 

hope you can get some.  if you do, let me know if it works out for you.

best,

penny

Penny

Is the tape expensive?????? I've never heard of it. Is it pretty new or has it been around a while.

I need something for scars on my upper back. I tend to dig my fingernails into it when I'm anxious. Sounds crazy, huh??? But, that's something that I found relieves my stress.

Got some good tips and ideas here.

Thanks!!!!

Penny

Is the tape expensive?????? I've never heard of it. Is it pretty new or has it been around a while.

I need something for scars on my upper back. I tend to dig my fingernails into it when I'm anxious. Sounds crazy, huh??? But, that's something that I found relieves my stress.

Got some good tips and ideas here.

Thanks!!!!

hey,

according to Drugstore.com it's $68 for a roll which will last .... well it depends upon how large the area is. 

if you have health insurance, it should be covered.  it was for me and my insurance is pretty mediocre.

sorry about the nail digging thing.  does that scar really bad? 

i've also noticed that different people scar differently.  for some reason (well, genetics... thank you dad) my scars tend to become keloid scars.  i guess that's why i'm so obsessed with this tape because it managed to flatten out my scars and turn them a nice normal color.  mederma and stuff was never enough for me... but maybe if my dad had been a different dad mederma would have worked.  who knows?

cordran isn't new, but according to my dermo they stopped making it for a few years (she was like gleeful that it was back on the market, which cracked me up.)

the other reason why i love cordran is because the over-the-counter tape type scar treatments like the one from band-aid are made with latex and i'm allergic to latex.  i had a MORONIC dermo tell me to try this stuff, even though he KNEW i was allergic to latex.  and lemme tell ya the last thing you want on an already itchy scarred area is a fucking rash.

my new (nice, caring and pays attention to my allergies) dermo says that the band-aid stuff and mederma work, but that the cordran stuff works better.  (which well, you know... it's rx and the others are over the counter, so i guess that makes sense?)  but you may not need the rx stuff.  but hey... it never hurts to ask your doctor, right?

in terms of the scratching your back (this is going to sound cheesy) have you tried like carying around one of those squeezy stress balls or something else that you can take out your tension on?  i know it sounds silly, and it won't have the pain response that scratching has (that i know can help releive stress... my husband scratches his scalp raw when stressed) but sometimes it can help to have something else to go at, to maybe at least reduce the number of times you scratch yourself.

good luck.

penny

Regarding not stress-scratching:

Silly putty's worked wonders for me ;) Only problem is...people in general are more stressed than they'll let on, and anybody who sees me playing with it will always try to have a go at it. Play-doh's good, too, but doesn't last as long. Smells better, though.

• 2 years later...
Guest lostinthoughtandjaded

I've got a bunch of tattoos, and my only suggestions regarding the care of cuts and scars involve:

A. Keep the area JUST moist. NEVER wet, NEVER dry.

B. Don't pick at it. Period.

C. Vitamin E is known for slowing healing (thusly screwing with the healing of tattoos).

D. Lots and lots of people are allergic to the sulpha in the 'Sporins of the world (Polysporin, Neosporin), so be wary.

E. I do suggest antiseptic topical though... I don't usually brand name drop, but from someone who heals like crap and is allergic to most topicals- if you can find a tube of "Barri-Care", it will last you for friggin ever. You will heal better and cleaner, though I don't know what it's effect on scars is.

As fucked up as it feels to be treating wounds on yourself that you MADE yourself, you might as well not look like Quasimodo.

Though it does seem kind of like building a beautiful dog house- only to smash it to smithereens with a sledgehammer and then try and rebuild the original doghouse out of the collected smashed pieces and then smash it again. And then rebuild it again.

Bah......

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add this here...

I was recently forced to sit in a waiting room, and inevitably picked up a woman's magazine (those things drive me crazy)... it said that massaging scars would help it heal, breaks up the tissues bound together, and helps it become whiter and flatter. Made no difference as to whether an oil was applied, as all it did was help with the friction, it's the actual massaging that does it. Five minutes, twice a day. For some reason, only scars that are less than a year old. It was basically useless on older scars.

Hey, can't hurt, could possibly help. I'm trying it, will report later if it seems to do any good.

Archived