CrazyBoards.org

I don't think frequent singing is a problem, especially when it's typically in quiet times and not in the middle of a conversation with your boss. Is it keeping you from doing other things you'd rather be doing? If it isn't causing you distress, it isn't a problem. Singing the Song of the Day is only pathological if it's Nickelback. Then you need immediate exorcism and beatings about the head with foam noodles.

I'm the forumite with a T-shirt reading "I sing in my car," FYI.

When you say "I feel myself coming up," what do you mean? I sometimes use similar language when I can feel myself revving up for a hypomanic episode, meaning that I notice that I'm talking more, and faster, with clang associations becoming more frequent (though they're a feature of my speech at all times -- early teachers mistook this for poetry), and I'm starting to fidget and feeling buoyant. I've learned that this means I need to pay attention and employ my contingency plans, and it goes away, and all is good.

Basically, what you've described sounds to me like it could be hypomania or it could just be your natural personality. I can't tell from here. If you're having trouble sleeping because your thoughts won't shut up, you might need to practice some self-calming exercises or you might need additional medication. Maybe a small dose of Seroquel or Trazodone would allow you to fall asleep. Maybe it would be better for you to spend the hour before going to bed doing calming things in low light, following a routine. Maybe a little deep breathing and other relaxation exercises, reading... something that doesn't involve bright lights or churning thoughts.

Is singing distressing you?

Do the cyclic thoughts disturb you (beyond keeping you up at night)?

Is your sleep erratic, of low quality, or increasingly scarce?

Do you feel like your speech is out of control unless you consciously control it?

I think these might be warning signs. Nothing about your post screamed "MANIC," so we're basically looking at diffentiating between hypomania and the return of your personality. It can take a while to sort out what's what. If you are going hypomanic, then perhaps a higher lithium level would be beneficial for you, or a low dose of something like Lamictal. For now, take a walk, clear or converse with your head for a while, and try to not get too worked up. Keep an eye on yourself, but remember that not every slightly weird behavior means you're going crazy again. If you do think you're hypomanic or on the verge of it, call your doctor.

I know nothing about white chestnut. Perhaps the alternative remedies folder will have some useful information?

Heya gettin' there,

I like what lmnop had to say.

Sometimes it's really really hard to know what's (hypo)mania and what's just you.

As lmnop said, go by how you feel and, if there are others around, what they say.

One sign of a mixed episode for me was when patients repeatedly asked me to slow down because I was talking too fast!

If this *does* look to be going towards the (hypo)mania end of things, consider (as you point out) upping the lithium or adding an anticonvulsant to your cocktail (although keeping things simple is preferable, you have to find out what *works* and go from there).

But of course, "normal" people get hyper too at times, and so can we, I think.

In terms of white chestnut, I don't know much about it, but someone over in the alternative/natural forum might.

Hang in there and good luck!

--ncc--

Archived