CrazyBoards.org

In Jan - April I ate Whole 30 style to help my thyroid get under control. The bastard restrictive diet helped. But not only did it help with that, it helped with my sleep, my skin, my cyclothymia moods - particularly the deep pre-menstrual depression. 

Has anyone else had any success with using diet to help treat their MI? I am still taking meds - but I find the Whole 30 very helpful. I'm now trying it again because April - Oct has been a bit of a binge-fest of wine and cheese, pizza and chocolate. oops. 

I'm sorry I'm not sure how to answer your question, but wondered if Whole 30 is a food, drink, or pill.

• Like 1

Oh, ok, thanks ... I had never heard of it before!

I haven't tried the program, but I have heard of people changing their diets in general, to help manage symptoms of MI ... but it doesn't treat the entire MI.  I don't have any examples, but I've read and watched things that talk about it.  It is basically about eating a "clean" diet ... lots of raw, fresh vegetables and fruit, juicing, gluten free, no sugar, etc.

Edited by melissaw72
  • Like 1

Whole30 is basically strict paleo. Back in 1999 or so, I went on the paleo diet and felt amazing. I didn't sweat little things like sugar in BBQ sauce or Chinese food, though. I eventually stopped because I was losing weight and I didn't need to lose any. Oh to have such troubles now! I am considering doing it again for weight loss, but I want to exhaust other methods first. I can't say if it did anything for my MI, as I wasn't having an episode at the time.

• Like 1

I looked it up, it sounds amazing and promising, but very strict. I don't know if it's proper to compare it to Atkins diet. I felt amazing then, and dropped so much weight I was thinner than  in my high school years. However, it's hard to maintain, I wound up quitting, gaining it all back, plus a couple more. As much as I would like to try it, I just can't do "hard core" anymore. Best wishes to you, Bernard. 

ETA: just saw the question about MI... Atkins maybe sent me into hypo mania, not sure.  I can't imagine the whole 30 would hurt, tho. 

Edited by Rabbit37
  • Like 1

I feel like the Whole 30 is good for me in regulating my moods. I was just wondering if anyone else felt as positive as I do about it. I sometimes wonder if everything with me is psychosomatic :)  Still, anything is worth a  shot for feeling better, I reckon :) 

...but coffeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Like 1

That's allowed, just not with milk, cream, or sugar.

but coffeeeeeee...  with hot chocolate powder, sugar and milk.  That's totally allowed, right?  None of those ingredients are on yr list in that order!

I've actually been thinking about this diet a lot.  The problem is that with my gallbladder gone, I've had a touchy stomach and chronic diarrhea ever since, which is aggravated by consumption or, occasionally, lack of consumption of fat (yeeeeeep, both, afaik)-- which means I need to eat a somewhat consistent level of fat every day, and I don't know if that will be possible on this diet.

I don't see why having a consistent fat consumption every day would be any more of a problem on the diet than off it, at least if you aren't on a low fat diet now. You can regulate the fat by increasing or decreasing the amount of meat, poultry, fish, nuts, oil, etc. It's just that instead of swapping those calories with grains, sugar, and dairy, that you swap fruits and vegetables instead. On the other hand, if you're on a fairly low fat diet now, you might have to increase your fruit and vegetable intake dramatically in order to get enough calories without any extra fat.

I eat a lot of good fat while on this diet (avocado, animal fat etc). I also have coffee with unsweetened coconut milk instead of regular dairy - I never ave sugar anyways. It helps me feel way better. I started out going well with W30 eating but lapsed at a dinner out and have had to start again. It's worth doing though.