CrazyBoards.org

Ritalin Question

OK.  So we're going down the ADD trail and this is all very confusing to me, but whatever. 

I was prescribed 5mg Ritalin, once a day.  Isn't this stuff supposed to last just a few hours? 

The reason I'm wondering about this is because I've got 3-5 hours of classes each day, and then whatever studying, etc. I've got to do after... and I'm thinking that this med might not be the best one. 

So, since I haven't gone this direction before, I'd just like to know if this keeps you guys focused for more than three hours at a go or what.

Danke!

OK.  So we're going down the ADD trail and this is all very confusing to me, but whatever. 

I was prescribed 5mg Ritalin, once a day.  Isn't this stuff supposed to last just a few hours? 

The reason I'm wondering about this is because I've got 3-5 hours of classes each day, and then whatever studying, etc. I've got to do after... and I'm thinking that this med might not be the best one. 

So, since I haven't gone this direction before, I'd just like to know if this keeps you guys focused for more than three hours at a go or what.

Danke!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Check out crazymeds.us, boatloads of drug info. Ritalin is a short acting drug, but you pdoc is probably being conservative, which is good. It has potential for abuse (I know first hand). There are other options for ADD. Wait, you'll hear from some folks who know their shit. As one who either doesn't take this particular med at all or as prescribed, I'm not one for advising. Except to say start off low and stay low if you can. See how it works, report back to your doc.

Be well,

Suze

I was on Methylin (generic of Methylphenidate which is generic of Ritalin) for over a year and found that at a higher dose (20 mg) the med was in effect for longer than at the lower starting dose of 10 mg.  I took 20 mg twice a day to get through work/school, and 10 mg in the early evening to get through basic household stuff.  I found that at 20 mg it lasts about 4 hours and at 10 mg maybe 2.5.  5 mg seems low but it probably is just to get an idea of whether you only need a low dose, no use starting high if a low dose will do...

hello,

if you have classes and then went to study later on you want to ask your pdoc about Concerta. its the extended release formula of ritalin. Ritalin is a very short acting drug compared to other ADD medications. After a month of being on a regular dose of Ritalin i needed to up the dosage of it. If Ritalin isn't for you, you might want to try Adderall, which is stronger. but, i guess, one thing at time. good luck. matt

i'm guessing that your doctor is trying you on 5mg to see how react. 

the best way to try a med is to start low and taper slowly.  (trust me, it's better than taking a high dose of stims right off the bat and having your body scream WTF IS HAPPENING!)

if the 5mg seems to help, let your doc know, and talk about upping the dosage and frequency.  if the multiple times a day dosage bothers you, you may want to ask about concerta as snosko reccomended.

good luck,

Penny

Well, day #1 was a success.  I didn't feel speedy or zippy or twitchy or nervous.  Things just seemed a bit "clearer" than usual, and stuff that needed to be done got done.  Actually, I was all like, "Why didn't I do this yesterday?  Silly me!"

It's now, shortly after the dosage wore off, that I feel a bit weird.  Fuzzier.  I guess that's to be expected.

I'll call the doc tomorrow and see what they say about multiple doses or an extended release. 

Getting stuff done... who woulda thunk it?

Getting stuff done... who woulda thunk it?

hehe

that was the best moment for me when i finally got on ADD meds, being able do get things DONE!  it was like OMG people can really actually do these things! and now, i am one of THOSE PEOPLE!

good luck getting your dosage worked out

i'm happy it's working for you thus far

penny

My pdoc refers to Concerta as the "home to homework" drug. Mostly for the little kids, but I think it applies to all.

Ritalin can have an icky come down. Not anything like illegal drugs, but still, you feel like you're "coming down" and your are.

Glad to hear day one was a success!

Suze

that was the best moment for me when i finally got on ADD meds, being able do get things DONE!  it was like OMG people can really actually do these things! and now, i am one of THOSE PEOPLE!

Oh, HELL YEAH!

I'm not doing the ritalin - Adderall for me, but still - Wow.

Sadly, I ran out a few days ago We upped the dose slightly to 7.5/3x, causing my original script to run short during the holidays (I've never been able to even take a dose, let alone up a dose of anything except Strattera without going bonkers from the side effects), so I've had a chance to compare. Miss it so bad! I was a better me than ever, for three weeks and some change.

Fortunately, my Pdoc is mailing me a prescription from his vacation place. I should get it today. Good luck to you.

pigs

Archived