CrazyBoards.org

Do you tell you doc everything?

Just wondering how many ppl here have told their tdoc/pdoc everything.  Every deep dark secret you have - no matter what.......

Even though I have been seeing my tdoc on & off for 3 years - there are things I still haven't fully "confessed" to him.  I am quite comfortable with him but I still haven't had the nerve to discuss some of my dark past.......

What about you?

Tell my therapist everything, no. Some things may not be valid, sometimes I reveal "secrets" as a reaction to how therapy is progressing. There may be a fine line between what to reveal and what needs to be revealed for maxium success of therapy.

I think what we reveal and to what extent is diffeernt for everyone. I'll be interested in what others have to say on the topic.

No, I don't tell my pdoc/tdoc everything. I don't plan it that way. I just don't. It would be impossible to tell them everything within a 15 or 50-minute appointment once every (six weeks/two weeks/week). I don't outright try to hide things from them, for the most part, but I don't walk in with a laundry list of confessions, either.

A big problem for me, I find, is that every situation has numerous sides to it. Also, similar situations often have different causes and circumstances. Ask me why I took one trip to a state in the middle of nowhere, and I'll say it was a well-planned somewhat-spontaneous trip to see a good friend. The next? Hypomanic idiocy. The next? Drifting soulless state of what-the-hell in which there's no reason to do or not do anything. If I don't explicitly explain all of this, I find psych professionals tend to assume similar reasons behind similar behaviors, and I, for one, just don't operate that way. This makes it difficult to be truthful. The truth is too sloppy and big.

I'll go take a walk now. Walks are good therapy.

there are things which I feel I need to discuss but just haven't gotten the 'nerve' too, yet.  Things I know will help me in the long run - just having difficultly talking about them yet.  I think a lot of what has happened with me is hidden deep inside and one day maybe I'll be able to bring it all forward.

I've told my pdoc things I've never told anyone. It has happened to be life-saving in my case. For some reason, we "clicked" very early on and I felt very comfortable with him almost since I began therapy with him.

db

I tell my pdoc/therapist (same guy) everything, as it seems relevant. I don't have any "deep dark secrets" that he doesn't already know, and if I realized I had a new one then I'd go directly to him with it.

Of course, I can't replay my entire life for him, so there is some selection, but there's nothing I would hold back from him or have. It's all there, and all available; though sometimes I'm not so thrilled about talking about certain things. Those are usually the things I most need to talk about.

It's also part of my personality to be verbose and thorough. I'm more likely to give him way too much information rather than too little -- he's never objected. In fact, sometimes it's helped because I've provided some detail that might not have seemed particularly relevant but was useful/important.

Fiona

I've told mine just about everything even things I've never told to another living soul before. However, there are a few things I have not but it's because they have absolutely nothing to do with my issues in therapy. I clicked with mine right away. He can read me like a book and knows when I'm holding something back. One of 1st assignments from him was to make a list of anything, event, or person that brought me emotional pain starting with my earliest memory, no  matter how small or bad it may seem. Then over time we worked on each thing I listed. I didn't hold back because I was so desperate for help and holding back would only delay that or make it incomplete. One time I didn't tell him about a new problem that had developed but I eventually called him and left a message to tell him that I have something to tell him that I should have told him weeks ago.

I hope I can work through this with therapist. Posting on these boards has helped. Along with support from a couple of PM buddies ;) I've been able to open up to them more than I ever have to family or shrink. Good sign, I think.

This is going to be my year!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is good to hear, steve.  I am hoping this is going to be my year also.  Just got here from my tdoc appt. and we discussed how I would feel about telling the dark secrets that I still hold.  Whether it would just be scary for me or would I be afraid of how he may respond.  Right now I think that it is a combination of both.  It's just really scary thinking about going to that dark place and dealing with the demons that reside there.  Maybe someday.............

i wouldn't even know where to begin. what should i tell her? or, what should I want to tell her? this whole therapy thing is just so damned confusing for me. i dont know what i'm supposed to put into it, or what i'm supposed to get out of it. lost, just totally lost.

i wouldn't even know where to begin. what should i tell her? or, what should I want to tell her? this whole therapy thing is just so damned confusing for me. i dont know what i'm supposed to put into it, or what i'm supposed to get out of it. lost, just totally lost.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Print out your posts from the depression thread and give them to her.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm with you.

When I get home from therapy I find that my husband and I just can't get along for a couple of days. I had DH go in and talk to tdoc. I know I'm not good at communicating what is going on. What is important? Pdoc and tdoc have to "pull" things out. I figured if DH would go in and talk about what problems I'm having I'd have something to talk about. Hopefully having him involved will stop the fights we have when I come home from thereapy. I hope this wasn't too disconneccted.

Atsiv,

Do you think your husband is able to give an accurate description of your problems to your tdoc? No matter how good his intentions are, he will still relay your problems through his own filter and while it may be very similiar to yours, it will still be his perception of your problems. Do you know what I mean? In the beginning I use to fight with my husband after therapy too but that was because I was telling him what we talked about and he can't handle that. He has always wanted to fix my problems for me. He thinks I shouldn't have any problems to begin with because he has provided me with a lifestyle that exceeds my every want and needs. He can't get that none of that matters if your not ok on the inside. He hated my therapist with a passion for a long time. I never want my husband in on my therapy sessions because it's the only thing that's mine and the only place I can be 100% honest with my thoughts and feelings without hurting anyone.

Astiv,

No need to apologize for a thread highjack. I see my pdoc for therapy once a week on average. About once a month my SO and I got to pdoc together for therapy. Working together has helped me, has helped my SO better understand my MI, and we are both making progress in are own lives.

He, my SO, is helpful in explaiing things to the pdoc that I can't put into words. He offers a somewhat objective perspective on how I am doing and dealing with things. I hope you and DH find family therapy helpful.

I hope the above make sense.

Erika

Astiv,

No need to apologize for a thread highjack. I see my pdoc for therapy once a week on average. About once a month my SO and I got to pdoc together for therapy. Working together has helped me, has helped my SO better understand my MI, and we are both making progress in are own lives.

He, my SO, is helpful in explaiing things to the pdoc that I can't put into words. He offers a somewhat objective perspective on how I am doing and dealing with things. I hope you and DH find family therapy helpful.

I hope the above make sense.

Erika

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It makes sense, thanks.

Atsiv

He has always wanted to fix my problems for me. He thinks I shouldn't have any problems to begin with because he has provided me with a lifestyle that exceeds my every want and needs. He can't get that none of that matters if your not ok on the inside.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God! - This sounds exactly like my husband.  Even though we have talked about him attending therapy with me - his attitude is "I don't believe in that psychobabble bullshit"  It's like things between us are really good right now so do I want to pursue him coming with me and taking the chance of messing things up?  My tdoc has highly recommended couples therapy.  So it's kinda like being stuck right now.  Therapy has helped tremendously since October.

Archived