CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
random_woman

How to switch from Sertraline to fluoxetine?

I am currently in my 22 day of taking Sertraline and just started 100 mg yesterday. Let me start by saying that I'm going to keep taking my Sertraline for 6-8 weeks and then make an informed desicision. My main reason for thinking about switching is that I used to be on Fluoxetine and it decreases my appetite. I hate being hungry.

But I find myself worrying a lot about what the switch will be like if I decide to change from Sertraline to Fluoxetine. Do any of you have experience and/or knowledge in this?

Is it likely that pdoc will make me taper down to 50 mg before switching or is it possible to make a switch from 100 mg Sertraline to 20 or 40  mg Fluoxetine from one day to another? I am anxiety free right now and I am very scared that tapering from 100 to 50 mg of Sertraline will make me anxious again. (Though I really was not anxious when I took 50 mg in my second week of starting treatment).

I want to believe this - but can I? (source: http://www.bpac.org.nz/BPJ/2012/december/docs/bpj_49_nzf_pages_34-35.pdf)

Short acting SSRIs including citalopram, escitalopram, paroxetine and sertraline can generally be stopped without tapering, and a different SSRI started the next day.

Discontinuation symptoms are unlikely because SSRIs have the same mechanism of action, and any effects will be covered by the new SSRI, which should be started at a low dose

Switching from one SSRI to another shouldn't be too big of a deal really....... usually the doctor just has you stop one and start another right away, no washout or taper period has ever been suggested to me. 

Did fluoxetine help with your anxiety before?

• Like 1

Switching from one SSRI to another shouldn't be too big of a deal really....... usually the doctor just has you stop one and start another right away, no washout or taper period has ever been suggested to me. 

Did fluoxetine help with your anxiety before?

That sounds great!

I never used to have anxiety before. I had one anxiety attack in april and was fine until september when I got another one and thats when I got anxious on a daily basis.

Edited by random_woman
bad english

I usually skip a few doses before switching but that's about it.

Skip a few doses? Would you really go from 100 mg Sertraline to 0 for a few days? I would never dare.  I think it's highly possible that it would trigger bad anxiety and DP/DR in me. The side effects from starting Sertraline were so scary that I'm now worried about ever being able to quit it. Fluoxetine on the other hand is easy for me to stop, since it's got such a long half life. It feels much safer to me.

Just as it takes SSRIs over a month to kick in, it takes a long time for them to stop working as well.  You shouldn't notice any difference if you just go a couple days, not that you need to.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Persona_Is_Life
      Hello! 
      I'm trying to figure out how to address my nervous tics lately. They've been persistent this past year and are always changing. From eye blinking, to head shaking, to sticking my elbow in my sides, squeaking, to a eye closed swallow things. I can't remember them all. 
      I don't always have them. If I've properly slept and aren't stressed/anxious they don't exist at all. As I'm typing this I keep needing to pick up my thumbs and bend them till I hear something crack. 
      I don't know where to put this though! 
      Thanks!
    • By Blahblah
      This has become the central topic of my latest ruminations...I'm still in my 40's, but I'm worrying a lot about getting older. I'm having some random health issues (aches/pains, chronic fatigue etc) that I never had before.
      I don't have any children and get triggered every time I see photos of other people's kids (literally everyone I know my age has kids now). I know that it's not a given that all families are happy or one's kids will take care of you in old age, but it's just the thought of having a family around! My parents are approaching late 70's and they live very far away, cannot travel. I have no other close family (or even close friends) that I can really depend on.
      Anyone know how to remedy these anxious thoughts? One of my biggest fears is being alone in old age, with increased health issues, and being totally isolated/alone in despair. I'd rather die young.
    • By Riverkhamsin
      So, I'm bipolar, type 2. I tend to live in depression and only occasionally get the kind of manic you could replicate with a good caffeine high. I've been on Sertraline for over a year. I can't actually remember how long. I'm currently at 150 mg once daily, and I have been since October of last year. I also take Trileptal, recently reduced from 300 mg twice a day to 150 mg twice a day at my request. I requested the decrease in Trileptal because my pdoc said that it was the more likely cause of my persistent brain fog and exhaustion. I've been on that for a long time. 4 years? 5? Around there. The reduction in Trileptal doesn't seem to have made any difference.
      I can't think straight anymore. I'm making mistakes at work, and my last mistake caused a minor injury. I'm tired from the moment I wake up until I finally pass out at the end of the day. But getting to sleep is difficult. No matter how tired I am, it takes forever to sleep. And then I tend to sleep lightly. I'm forgetting things. Important things. But not interpersonal things- just work things. I can remember the details about a coworker's date last week or what my boyfriend said about something two months ago, but conversations my boss has had with me about what she wants? Gone. Either I'm being gaslit (possible, she's known to think she had conversations with people that never happened, but this is happening more and more often) or I've got some big holes opening up in my head. And it's concerning.
      One of my coworkers is also bipolar, and when we talked, she suggested that it's from having been on sertraline for as long as I have. Anyone had that happen? On sertraline or anything else?
      I also take allegra for my allergies, vitamin b complex as well as a vitamin d supplement. Aside from a vitamin D deficiency, my bloodwork always comes back damn near perfect, though with COVID I haven't gotten it done this year. I tend to be very very sensitive to sedating medications- klonopin and benadryl both leave me groggy for at least a day afterwards and when I was on venlafaxine I couldn't stay awake. Wellbutrin xl gave me massive stomach cramps, and I got the lamotrigine rash.
    • By Skeletor
      Both are second-generation SSRIs, both exhibit minimal drug interactions via Cytochrome P450, both are the most prescribed SSRIs and are considered first line antidepressants. Who's been taking both and what were your experiences? (How did they compare to each other?). I am looking forward to read your experiences...
      Which one did you like more?
    • By Adolf
      "Best" as in being effective with fewer side effects. Which ones were the best for you? Which ones did you take? What condition(s) did you treat? What side effects did you get? How did the antipsychotics compare to "conventional" antidepressants?
      Can antipsychotics be an alternative to "conventional" antidepressants? What are the risks? What are the benefits? Do they make you a tomato with time? Psychiatrists prescribe them more often in recent times, it seems.