CrazyBoards.org

A new cure for bipolar

Guest Guest_Waterfall_*

Guest Guest_Waterfall_*

I broke my leg two weeks ago tonight.  I slipped on some packed snow in my driveway.  My ankle turned under me as I heard the bone snap.  I had to have immediate surgery to repair the three bones that were shattered.

Since then I am in a cast, using a walker, and can't bear any weight on that leg.  It's been hard but we've had help from my mother-in-law.  Thank goodness since I have an infant that I can't carry around.  I can't even take care of myself!

But since I've been broken, I haven't given a thought to being bipolar nor have I had any symptoms.  I'm in survival mode. 

I'm being very sarcastic here, but just break a leg and all of your other problems will melt away like butter on a hot summer's day.

Eeeee. Sounds like a nasty break!

I think I know what you mean. In 1977 I was living alone in Mexico City. I ended up getting hepatitis A, parathyphiod fever, and 2 types of amoebas (one of which was very deadly). Total survival mode. Was bedridden for months, and yet the least depressed I'd been up to that point in my adult life. It was when I had to go back out into the real world that depression hit again.

Hope the leg mends quickly!

Take care,

revlow

that does sound really nasty. i hope you keep getting better. and that is an interesting thought, that you were too caught up in physical pain for your mental problems to make themselves evident. but at the same time, i think brains are pretty flexible and that when in 'survival mode' can adapt to a temporary state of non-MI functionality. with time, yeah, it will reassert itself. but aren't brains neat things? aside from being shitty and nasty for doing all this awful stuff to us. now and then they just kind of show that they are also pretty neat too.

grouse.

Exactly, grousemouse. And it is pretty remarkable.

I hope in my post above that no one thinks I was implying that the respite from depression was simply from being away from the "real world" for a period of time. I do think it was a survival mode, "sick brain had to give the sick body a break" type of thing. But that was it, just a break. The MI was still there, just kind of dormant.

I'm thinking that once I get better, my MI will come back with full fury.  I mean, how manic can you be when you hobble along at the speed of a snail?  I thought this would make me very depressed, but no.  Could be that I stopped using hormonal birth control at the same time.  That stuff kept me near suicidal 24/7.  So I don't know which it is, and I certainly don't recommend breaking a leg to ease symptoms of MI.  I do find it incredibly ironic though.

Having other things to think about does put MI out of your mind... but forgotten does not mean gone.

Crisis situations are great for focusing on the "now".  If only that focus could be bottled, then when a different kind of crisis hits (depression, psychosis, etc...) we can open the bottle and voila... crisis over.

Sorry you broke your leg Waterfall.  I hope it heals quickly.

I mean, how manic can you be when you hobble along at the speed of a snail?
I sometimes think of my screwy painful nameless joint condition as a safety feature placed in front of my bipolar, limiting how far I can go before my body forces me to stop. For a minute, I can be almost glad for physical pain and limitations. Almost.

I hope your broken bones heal well, with a minimum of prodding and PT and other unpleasant things. If the craziness is to return one way or the other, better to slug it out with BP with your ankle fully restored, right? And besides, the impact of its return won't necessarily be full-force. We can at least hope.

Rest well.

Archived