CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
wnek2

I'm in menopause...and my acne is coming back!!

GAH!!!

I've had acne problems since age 14. It's hormonal, I've always known that because it always cleared right up when I was on the pill. Finally I did Accutane in my early 40s. Ever since I have used a benzoyl peroxide regimen and it's worked really well.

Till now. I started having some...eh...feminine issues and my gyn ran a blood test. I'm definitely menopausal. Well, I can live with that, I mean you can't be 25 forever--but my skin is going crazy! My forehead produces so much oil it could be an OPEC nation. And now I'm getting little whiteheads by my nose and bumps on my jaw and temples. It's fucking adolescence all over again on my face while my body granny-fies!

Well, nobody is going to give me estrogen because of the health risks and that it interacts with all my other meds. So now I have to go to the doctor and convince him that I need a stronger topical. Probably that means back on Retin-A. I guess I can live with that, I mean it's supposed to help with wrinkles and all, but god damn it, I thought I was done with this shit!!

Isn't it frustrating?  My husband has really fair skin, and he kept getting zits frequently, right into his 60s!  Sheesh.  Enough, already.

If you aren't a big water drinker, you might increase your intake.  That seems to help my husband when he has an outbreak.  I think water kinda flushes all sorts of stuff out of the body if we get our 6-8 glasses each day.

Welcome to the Menopausal Women's Club! :)

olga

As one possibility (though I'll warn you that it can get a bit pricey, depending on where you go), you could try going somewhere for a facial. I think Sephora stores might actually do them for free or reduced cost. Massage envy does a discounted cost for your first time going there. The stylist not only cleans the crap out of your face but also recommends what to use ongoing.

Just a thought.

@olga: Yeah, I talked to my mom and she said, "So what? I was still getting breakouts in my 70s." (Oh Lord, there's something to look forward to!<_<)

Anyway, I called my GP and thank God he's willing to treat it. So at least I don't have to wait 10 months for an appointment with a derm. And Retin-A is covered under my insurance, so double yay.

I think I'm starting the menopausal stage (I'm 52), my cycle is going haywire, and yep, breakouts. The last couple of decades have been nominal, maybe a bump here or there occasionally. Now, yikes, I'm getting breakouts particularly along my jawline. Haven't seen GP or dermatologist yet, I've just been using the treatment I used in my teens/20's, which is a light wipe at night with isopropyl alcohol and a light layer of oil of Olay. Probably the most frustrating is I'm getting bumps in my eyebrows! Very strange place I think. 

<sigh> I want this over now, please? 

This is not yet my problem-I just have the various lamotrigine funsies-but I thought I'd mention that the best website I've ever found for information about what is in skincare products that may be screwing you over, and what to look for in products to produce the results you want, complete with packaging recommendations for ingredient stability, is Beautypedia.com. My skin has always been crazy sensitive and I've learned a lot of very useful things there.

Edited by Gearhead

Thanks, Gearhead---that looks like a great resource.

Rabbit, your eyebrows are oily.  I remember teen friends of mine getting acne on their foreheads, their shoulders, their chins, and their eyebrows.

Ah, the joys of being a woman.

olga

My whole teens and adolescence were spent with maybe one zit here, one zit there... and then I ganed weight. I lost 50 lbs in 5 months and suddenly my body changed. I was 27 and getting extreme acne. It hasn't stopped since, and I'm 38 now. I've tried topicals and they don't work well. So I'm on BCP which controlls it a little better. But I'm now doing a combo of both to see how that works. I got to get rid of this horrible acne, I look like I'm struggling between youth and old age. Wrinkles and acne. Great combo!

My 30's have been ideal as far as my skin goes, especially my mid 30's it seems.  My mid 20's were by far the worst.  

One thing I found out about myself is that my skin responds to gentle products like camellia cleansing oil rather than your more astringent products.  The oil I use says it can be used on acne.  It's extremely soothing and if I break out it will be about one tiny pimple per month.  Scrubbing and exfoliating is for the body- not the face.  Special kinds of oils that don't clog your pores help fight angry inflamed skin.  Well it helped me.  

Also things like sunblock need to be super expensive and formulated for acne prone faces.  I found a sunscreen by Tacha.  That is the same brand that makes my camellia oil.  Tacha is a Japanese skincare line.  I haven't needed their special rice powder  so I cannot reccomend what I have not tried.  I feel like a simple cleanser that takes off makeup and leaves your skin hydrated is all I need. FYI- the cleansing oil does not seem to rinse clean but don't let that deter you.  For some reason it just seems to work..  

Moisturizer as needed in the winter.  My moisturizer is First Aid Beauty face moisturizer.  

Some girls/guys wear foundation which is a basic part of a makeup regimen.  The foundation that I like the best for my skin is Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation in the brown squeeze bottle with the tan wood cap.  Tarte makes other foundations that were not as friendly to my skin such as rainforest of the sea.  Not a good choice in my opinion as it gave me a couple new blemishes.

i hope this will help someone. 

23 minutes ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

My whole teens and adolescence were spent with maybe one zit here, one zit there... and then I ganed weight. I lost 50 lbs in 5 months and suddenly my body changed. I was 27 and getting extreme acne. It hasn't stopped since, and I'm 38 now. I've tried topicals and they don't work well. So I'm on BCP which controlls it a little better. But I'm now doing a combo of both to see how that works. I got to get rid of this horrible acne, I look like I'm struggling between youth and old age. Wrinkles and acne. Great combo!

I started having cystic acne around age 26. That means really deep, big bumps that are way below the surface of your skin.  I have no idea why it started out of the blue then, but I was on antibiotics for a very long time after that. I started with tetracycline, then graduated to minocycline. And then it was Keflex. And I forget the fucking name of the one after that. And it just all failed. And so I went on accutane. I had to stop it month early, because my hair was falling out in big clumps, but that treatment has proven to be pretty effective. Once in a while, I get a big red area, but it clears up very quickly. Considering all the meds I'm on, it's nice not to have yet another one, so I am thankful for accutane, even if it did fuck up my hair. It has worked better than the Antibiotics, IMO, though. But I hope I never have to go on it again. It was really, really rough. 

I have serious issues with different skin care products. I'm a fan of clear aloe Vera gel, dove sensitive skin soap, and (but only when really necessary) Cetaphil cream. Nothing else touches my face, save for water, if I can help it. I have weird-out issues with stuff so bad that I can't eat hot pizza with my hands. The thought of getting the grease from the pizza on my hands, my mouth, and my face is just too much. I can't deal. Fork and knife are required. If I eat ribs or corn on the cob, I immediately have to wash my face afterwards, even if only the tiniest speck of fat got on me.

Edited by Flash

I feel ya...acne at any age is lousy! I have to just chime in with skincare...if your hormones are balanced and stuff, a good skincare to try is Sage Skincare. It's super expensive IMO but it's life changing. They have cleansers, moisturizers, everything and it's all amazing. I used it religiously when I was modeling cuz breakouts were the bane of my existence. They do skin consults too so u get the right stuff to match ur skin...and nowadays they do aging skincare or whatever u call it, cuz not just teens get acne and they can combine antiaging stuff with acne stuff. If I could afford it I'd be back on it in a heartbeat! I also agree about Tarte foundations are great!! The Rainforest one is excellent! If you want sheerer coverage, Honeybee Gardens makes a pressed powder foundation that's amazing and smells like honey....all their stuff is safe for acne skin and totes the bomb!!

HTH? BD

I realize this was posted long ago but I am in the middle of this and to help anyone who has had this issue. I went to a dermatologist and they put me on Doxycycline 100 mg and Aczone. Both cleared me right up. I have had acne for years! Hope that helps! 

Dude... I am 33, I just had a spell of acne... not too long ago I want to say back in April or so. 

My DR prescribed ( well I made her) BenzaClin. It's the only thing that works. It's a lil' pricy, But if your insurance covers the generic, I highly recommend it!

And drink lot's of water. Good Luck!