CrazyBoards.org

Self harming

Self harming for me is a solution to my problems. When life gets so tough, and I'm crazy stressed and I don't know what to do, automatically the answer floats to my brain: self harm? Okay. I don't know. It makes everything more easy to cope with. Sometimes I feel like my thoughts are along the lines of trying to make my exterior look as bad as my inside. Sometimes I try so hard to show the scars to my family so that they'd notice, but when they do, I shy away. 

Of course it serves a purpose.

You wouldn't keep doing it if it didn't help in some way.

However, ultimately over the long run most people find that self harm as a solution causes more problems than it solves.

Is there someone in your life (trusted adult type person) who could help you talk to your family since it's difficult for you to do it yourself?

How about a school counselor? (I am assuming you are under 18.) They deal with this stuff a lot.

We are a pro-recovery site, which is different than a lot of other places on the web. That means we encourage each other to find ways aside from self injury to manage emotions more effectively.

no, I know what this site's about. And I did come here looking for help. Kind of.

But it's hard for me to talk about it. What if I'm an attention-seeking brat? I know that even that's a reason to talk to someone, but I'm ashamed of this. I justify my problem by telling myself that it doesn't hurt me majorly in any way, so no need to talk about it. That I'm not mental.

I'd suggest that since you're so ashamed of it, and that it's causing you anguish about whether you're attention-seeking or not, that those are all worthy of attention. 

You don't deserve for it to hurt so much. Either on the outside, nor on the inside.

Drat...

The board was being funky when I posted last night and ate all the stuff I said about knowing that this is a difficult thing to talk to people about... and that I know you are doing the best you can to manage a difficult situation... and that self harm serves a purpose, even if we aren't sure what it is... and that you deserve kindness instead of pain even if you don't think you do.