CrazyBoards.org

Schizophrenia Vs. Spiritual Awakening

Honestly, what is the difference?

Seems to me spirituality is not at all recognised by psychiatry. One who tries to explain or prove that what they experienced was indeed a "spiritual" thing, is seen as having a lack of insight or mad. Rightfully so, how can you explain the unexplainable, which differs to each person?

What if "voices" are indeed guardian angels, other planetary beings/souls, or even 'god'? I'm not certain what exactly mine were, but one things for sure, they were not "hallucinations" - which implies an imaginary thing that doesn't exist, does it not?

Sadens me to see so many other schizophrenics out there who buy into psychiatry's explanation of the unexplainable. I personally believe psychiatry to be one of the most sick things in this world. Sure, our pdoc's intentions are good, but they have been misguided.

My communications with the divine were always of a positive, loving, life-improving nature. Never once were they harmful to myself or others. Would love to hear from other schizophrenics - were your voices positive or negative?

To literally observe myself going from a happy, loving, healthy, connected "spiritual" person to a lifeless zombie plagued with numerous illnesses (akathisia, anhedonia, loss of libido, etc) thanks to forced antipsychotic drugging by government further proves what I am saying to be true.

Call me sick, I agree, by psychiatry's definition I am the sickest of sick, yet, I, my friends & family, all know myself to be quite sane - just able to see it all for what it truly is: systems of control.

/discuss

Hi Zombiemode. This is a pro treatment site. Just mentioning if you weren't aware.

i don't believe psychosis is a form of spiritual awakening. 

I did have mostly positive voices/thoughts. They were people I knew from the past or currently but weren't there. 

I heard a pdoc say if he had a patient who was happy and heard angels singing he would let them be. But, I don't like that I am so distracted from other people, my family, when I am caught up in psychosis.

i am sorry to hear you have forced treatment. I take medication, but I do it voluntarily. 

I have schizoaffective disorder and had a late onset if that makes a difference to you.

1 hour ago, ZombieMode said:

Call me sick, I agree, by psychiatry's definition I am the sickest of sick, yet, I, my friends & family, all know myself to be quite sane - just able to see it all for what it truly is: systems of control.

/discuss

Maybe the forced medication you are on is making you feel sane.  If you went off meds, you might be thinking a little differently about how you feel, IMO.

I also don't believe that psychosis is a form of spiritual awakening, as well as voices being guardian angels.

Hi.

You might be interested in this man here and the field of research that he works in. While I agree that the medical profession doesn't tend to do a great job of seeing the whole person it strikes me that they're also getting a lot better at it. I'm heartened at that.

That would be rough, being mandated to take meds.  I understand how that could feel like some form of mind control.

I think that there are a fair few people whose psychoses were positive.  However my impression is, anyway, that they are outweighed by the number of people who experience destructive, negative bullying voices/hallucinations/whatever.  For some people their experiences were both positive and negative.  I have a friend who had a lot of positive experiences with psychosis... angels, pleasant visualizations, etc... However because of his symptoms he went from teaching robitics at a university to being homeless on the streets of Detroit, divorced, estranged from his son.  Generally it seems that psychosis, untreated, can often get to a point where it paralyzes us from being able to function enough for basic self care.   

I agree that there is perhaps a spiritual component to psychosis.  It is a change in one's state of consciousness and consciousness is intrinsically linked to spirituality.  There are things about it that seem difficult to explain away.  But that does not change the way it can derail a person's life if it is untreated.  For better or worse we are for the moment tethered to physical bodies in time and space, which requires us to be able to take care of ourselves physically, mentally, and financially (as well as spiritually.)

All I can talk from is my personal experience, which was that my psychosis was a very negative, traumatizing experience, my meds helped me recover to a point where I could get my life back on track, and now I've tapered off of some of them (with the guidance of a pdoc) that had more side effects but am still at a stable place.  I saw recently that it has been proven that for schizophrenia a lower dose of meds combined with talk therapy is more effective than just a higher dose of antipsychotics.  

Edited by koa
  • Like 1

I wouldn't classify my psychoses or delusions as inherently positive or negative (as in, nothing really nasty or evil was seen, said, or heard). But I am terrified the entire time, and never want to go through it again. I feel like my brain has taken control (I know your brain is always in control, just expressing what it feels like), and that I no longer have agency.

I struggle to understand how schizophrenia can be pleasant to go through..

I myself suffered psychosis through mania, and psychotic mania is in a way a spiritual awaking but only for you

I mean a lot of people with psychotic mania go through many superiority complexes and they indeed feel great. Being immortal, thinking you're famous, believing you're jesus christ or a badass great prophet ect. However to others it seems as you're going complete loco and you probably at great risk of doing something super duper daft hence its better for the mania to be treated. 

However my friend who suffers from paranoid psychosis would probably describe the spiritual awaking as borderline demonic possession. To be honest I don't know. Is there such thing as euphoric schizophrenia?

Edited by StJimmy9151

thanks for all the positive replies, much appreciated.
didn't realise this was a pro-med site.

have seen 3 other psychiatrists since, all of which believe I have been wrongly diagnosed and have a case against the hospital of medical negligence.

Am in the process of switching my Community Treatment Order to a private psychiatrist who mentioned he wants me on a lowered dose immediately, if there even is a need for medication.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had very positive and negative experiences in psychosis. I was raised a strict Catholic, but now just believe in God. I sometimes wonder if I didn't experience some type of divine intervention, but how would I ever know the truth anyway? I have thought about talking to a priest but haven't done so. When I become psychotic I feel as if I am going down a tunnel.. escaping the real world for an imaginary one that I sometimes enjoy. But the reality is I have three kids to raise so I take my meds and stay present no matter how painful that is sometimes. 

10 hours ago, SchizoHH said:

I have had very positive and negative experiences in psychosis. I was raised a strict Catholic, but now just believe in God. I sometimes wonder if I didn't experience some type of divine intervention, but how would I ever know the truth anyway? I have thought about talking to a priest but haven't done so. When I become psychotic I feel as if I am going down a tunnel.. escaping the real world for an imaginary one that I sometimes enjoy. But the reality is I have three kids to raise so I take my meds and stay present no matter how painful that is sometimes. 

(in bold) ^^ I am not Catholic, but have started talking and (mainly) emailing my pastor and just having someone to listen to me with no judgement is really helpful, especially when most people avoid that kind of thing and have judgement.

14 hours ago, melissaw72 said:

(in bold) ^^ I am not Catholic, but have started talking and (mainly) emailing my pastor and just having someone to listen to me with no judgement is really helpful, especially when most people avoid that kind of thing and have judgement.

I guess that is what I wonder about. How will I be judged? When I tell him I am diagnosed Schizophrenic will he just discount everything I say? 

I'm not schizophrenic, but I wanted to reply because I have been having the same thoughts.  I'm unmedicated at the moment so I believe I am having a psychosis of sorts.  Realistically I think this is what's happening, because I have had a psychosis in the past, albeit a long time ago.  I've been convinced that I am "opening up" to the spirit world.  I see little white spots flying around in the room that I believe is a spirit.  Specifically, I believe it the spirit of the baby I'm supposed to get pregnant with.   I keep having vivid lucid dreams about seducing my husband to have a baby with me (I feel like it's the spirit of the baby that's putting those dreams in my head.)  I had a dream that a radio was next to my head, playing songs and words from the spirit world. I've been obsessed with reincarnation and past lives.... I also have this weird, unsettled feeling that something is not right.  I would ask my pdoc about this but it's Christmas and she is out of the office till the end of January.  I don't want to go back on meds because then I can't get pregnant with the baby I'm supposed to have.