CrazyBoards.org

Stigma, disclosure and trust

I'm sorry that happened.  I'd be pissed too.  Especially because she is a psychologist; I'm sure she knows the HIPAA stuff, although she is a friend, not your psychologist ... so that might not apply.  But IMO she should know better than to gossip about people.  My point being that seeing the she is a psychologist in general, you'd think she'd keep her mouth shut and not gossip about someone behind their back.

If it were me, I would at least think about getting in touch with her again to ask why she said something about you like that.  If you don't have current address etc, you could ask your friend who she told the gossip to. 

For me, if something is said about me that is totally not true, I do my best to stop it/the rumor in its tracks because later on down the line someone might make a comment ... and because I didn't back myself up in the first place, I might be accused of something I am not/I didn't do.  Example:  The other day someone significant in my life asked (READ: SAID) I was suicidal, and I immediately got defensive and said something because that was so far from the truth, and I was like where is this coming from?  This person said it was a "misinterpretation," and I said that is was a HUGE misinterpretation to have and make based on nothing, and to never say that about me again (unless I admit to it or something, but I know I won't the rest of my life).  I haven't been suicidal for 17 years, not even a thought of it, so I got really defensive because I didn't want a suicidal rumor going around/said.  It really got me pissed.

Do you have any plans to say anything to this psychologist about what she said?

I'm very sorry that happened to you. I regret telling my old friends. They have since abandoned me. As far as I know, they have not talked bad about me though to each other. I am sure that this has happened though (them talking about me behind my back, they are just too afraid to say anything to my face).

Sounds like that is what your psychologist friend did. She was too afraid to say anything to your face and instead gossiped with another mutual friend. I find that really inappropriate and unfair. Especially since it isn't true. And when did the psychologist friend say that about you? Years ago or just recently? Do you know or did the other friend say when the psychologist friend said this? Not that it matters, but just that if she recently said it I find that more offensive since it really, really isn't true. If she said it 10 years ago while you were having an episode then it's still uncalled for, but at least it maybe was a somewhat fair assessment (although hugely judgmental and I would still be pissed about it).

Just some things to think about regarding the timeline of when things were said.

Are you going to talk to psychologist friend about this or are you going to just let it go? I don't know what I'd do in that situation. I'd probably wait to calm down a bit about it before I did anything rash, and I probably wouldn't say anything (but I REALLY HATE confrontation of any sort). So, depending on how you feel about confronting her like that will determine what you think is best to do. Good luck!

I don't like to confront people either.  But if I have nothing to lose, then I go all out and confront the person.  For example if it means you lose the psychologist friend, I'd go for the confrontation.  The only thing in this situation is to lose is a friend who you already wrote off. So basically nothing to lose.  Does this make sense?

I was thinking ... the friend who told you what the psychologist said, and how she said to not say anything ... I think I would say something (easier said than done though) because you probably don't want rumors going around.  Who knows if she's told any other people?  Before that though, I let your friend know you are going to say something to the psychologist friend because you don't want wrong information getting out.  I'd probably say it in a matter-of-fact way.  If your friend gets angry then she gets angry.  If she wants to no longer be friends, then maybe she wasn't a friend at all. And maybe the psychologist friend didn't even say anything ... your other friend could have though, which is why she didn't want you to say anything.  You know what I mean?

Maybe she told you the gossip because SHE was making it up, but blaming the psychologist friend for it.  She might not have wanted you to say anything because it was her gossiping, not the psychologist friend. 

Idk them or anything, but when someone says to me "don't tell her I told you," or something similar, I always wonder who is telling the truth.  I guess I would ask the psychologist friend why she said what she did (assuming at first that she said that), then see what her reaction is ... she'll either probably be embarrassed because she got "caught," or will go on the defensive, pointing fingers back to the other person.