CrazyBoards.org

transferring files from laptop to desktop

My sister has a laptop.  I have a desktop.  She is visiting until tomorrow.  I have dialup internet access, to which only one person can be connected at any given time and which is slower than a popsicle's melting in Antarctica.  Both PCs running WinXP. 

My sister has a number of MP3s on her computer which I want.  I have a cheesy little generic MP3 player someone gave me a while back.  (The text on it consists of "on, off, USB DRIVE/MP3" and a sticker which reads 128.)  In theory, I should be able to plug this into her computer, transfer the files, and then plug it into my own computer to move them. 

This isn't working.  Her computer doesn't recognize my MP3 player and evidently lacks the driver to use the damn thing.  I've tried to run a windows update on her laptop, but the site insists that the date and time are too far off to authenticate teh security certificate.  The date and time are CORRECT. 

Is there anything else I can do here?  The only other alternative appears to be emailing the files back and forth, and with dialup that will take many hours.  I really hope there's an alternative. 

My sister has a laptop.  I have a desktop.  She is visiting until tomorrow.  I have dialup internet access, to which only one person can be connected at any given time and which is slower than a popsicle's melting in Antarctica.  Both PCs running WinXP. 

My sister has a number of MP3s on her computer which I want.  I have a cheesy little generic MP3 player someone gave me a while back.  (The text on it consists of "on, off, USB DRIVE/MP3" and a sticker which reads 128.)  In theory, I should be able to plug this into her computer, transfer the files, and then plug it into my own computer to move them. 

This isn't working.  Her computer doesn't recognize my MP3 player and evidently lacks the driver to use the damn thing.  I've tried to run a windows update on her laptop, but the site insists that the date and time are too far off to authenticate teh security certificate.  The date and time are CORRECT. 

Is there anything else I can do here?  The only other alternative appears to be emailing the files back and forth, and with dialup that will take many hours.  I really hope there's an alternative.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In this type of situation, her laptop not recognizing your MP3 player, I would try the MP3 player's web site for support and possible driver download. Although, I've never heard of having to install a driver for an MP3 player. I figured they were all plug and play.

I guess you can't burn them to some CDs?

If she has a CD burner in her laptop, it'd probably be far easier and faster to simply burn the MP3 files to a CD as files and not CD audio and copy them back onto your hard drive...

Barring that, there's USB transfer cables (Generally run about 16 dollars), a LAN, etc. LANs are reliable, but more expensive than USB transfers. a crossover ethernet cable (Assuming both computers have ethernet ports) which are generally fairly cheap...Usually they run around 8-10 dollars.

The best out of those alternates would probably be crossover or USB transfer cable.

If you pick one of the alternates and have issues with it, post back and I'll tell you how to fix them.

Joey

If she had a CD burner, we'd have used it by now.  *sigh*  At least my laptop will have a burner.  Heh. 

I'll see if I can find a USB transfer cable tomorrow.  To the best of my knowledge, my desktop doesn't have an ethernet port (it's decrepit).  With the cable, I should, in theory, be able to use a similar transfer process once my government funding has cleared to buy my own laptop (otherwise known as "adaptive academic equipment" -- there are some tarnished silver linings to disabilities).  I'll let you know if this works.  Thanks, Joey. 

I'll see if I can find a USB transfer cable tomorrow.  To the best of my knowledge, my desktop doesn't have an ethernet port (it's decrepit).
Clearly we have ferreted out a tech support dude, heh. Joey, you are OURS! Good luck, Clementine. I hope you are able to accomplish your mission. I hate it when shit like that's going on. The levels of frustration certainly don't help my alreadly overly developed tendencies to angry outbursts!

Awesome that you're getting a new laptop. I just got one myself. I wanted a Mac, so badly, but budge would only allow for PC. It's a hot little number though. It makes me very happy in the middle of the night.

Let us know when you have acheived your mission!

Houston out,

Clearly we have ferreted out a tech support dude, heh. Joey, you are OURS! Good luck, Clementine. I hope you are able to accomplish your mission. I hate it when shit like that's going on. The levels of frustration certainly don't help my alreadly overly developed tendencies to angry outbursts!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No problem, Joey. I am sure working in tech support would swiftly demolish my faith in the basic competence of humankind. You have my sympathies... and my secondhand anecdote, if I can type it out before my computer freezes.

My brother's coworker is on a tech support campaign for one of those digital satellite TV companies. This past week, he encountered a customer with whom he had the following dialogue.

"My dish doesn't work."

"Okay, sir, what seems to be the problem."

"There's snow in it. It's blocking the signal."

"Oookay.... In that case, I'd suggest you take your broom and knock the snow out of it."

"Oh no no no no. I want you to drive over here and knock it out for me. It's under warranty."

"Sir, we'd be happy to knock the snow out of your dish if you really want us to, but then we'll have to charge you $65 for a five-minute service call."

The twit wasn't too happy. After about ten minutes, it finally boiled down to this.

"Okay, Mister Tech Support Man. I am going to explain this in tiny little words you might understand. Let's say I bought a car. The car is under warranty. If I have a problem with my car, and the car is under warranty, I will take my car to the garage. The garage will fix my car, and because my car is under warranty, I don't have to pay."

"Yes, sir," said my brother's coworker. "But if there's snow on your car, you clean it off."

The idiot hung up. He still didn't sound too happy.

I never did manage to grab that transfer cable before my sister left. I will see about procuring one in the near future, though, for other purposes.

My computer has decided it hates me, so I'll probably start another thread for my completely unrelated issue, or maybe bump my old one. I am ashamed at my technological incompetence.

THANK YOU for your wonderful help. ;)

Ah the stories I could tell. I wish I had some employees to foist some of these people off on for my sanity.

I had this guy one time that bought a computer here call me...

Turns out he'd had a fifth of jack daniels sitting on his tower and it fell over and spilled into the top of the monitor...

He wants to know if warranty covers this.

Of course it does not.

He wants to know if I can come out and take a look at it RIGHT NOW because it's still smoking like hell.

I asked exactly what happened...and he proceeds to tell me when the liquor went over, it caught on fire, so he hurled water into it and it's still sorta smouldering and occassionally making a noise "Ya know...like an arc wielder.'

Finding out warranty information > unplugging a flaming arcing monitor that should've tripped a breaker if it wasn't on a 100 amp one where it had no business being.

Alabama wins for stupidity every time. We're number 1!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can't say for sure, but I would think the USB DRIVE/MP3 selection would make it appear to be a USB flash drive, which shouldn't require any drivers.  It should have come with a cable to plug into a USB socket on your computer or any computer.  If both of these suppositions are correct, you should be able to switch it to USB DRIVE, plug in the cable, and the drive should magically appear with all the mp3s on it.  No guarantees though.

• 1 month later...

Same song, second verse, inter-platform style!

I have an iBook.  I have a PC.  Short of burning a new CD every time I want to transfer a few files from one to the other, how can I exchange data between the two machines?  Preferably without having to spend much money I don't have on pricey things?

http://www.apple.com/switch/howto/network.html

That has some information on what settings to mess with on a mac.

I don't play with them much so I'm not certain how they react to crossover cables.

The only single cable option I could really find involves buying it and the software from them for 50 bucks. :/ (And it's SLOW. They say 500 megs in 15 minutes like it's a good thing.)

If you have a geek friend, go jack his network.

That's what everyone does to mine. ;)

You might also be able to use your school's network to do it. Just do it at a low traffic time and they likely won't care.

I don't want to burn a new CD EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to move a file or forty.  Also, my PC has decided it doesn't want to burn CDs.  Errors every time.  I fucking hate that thing. 

Will look at wires and stuff. 

Can't you just e-mail them to yourself?

Hubby is on a PC and I am a mac nerd. Even though we are networked, his PC doesn't want to play nice. We use e-mail to transfer files all the time. If the file is too big for e-mail, you can go to www.yousendit.com. It lets you send very large files over the internet for free.

Another option is to use Instant Messanger. It has a send file option. I send stuff to my girlfriend this way. She has AOL Instant Messenger (don't have to have aol to use it) and I have iChat. She is PC and I am Mac. It works most of the time.

Good luck!

Dialup.  I cannot send the number and size of files I'm thinking over freaking dialup.  And there's no way in hell I'm dragging my desktop over to school, convincing someone to help me get it networked against regulations, and emailing things to myself that way. 

I fucking hate computers.

Archived