CrazyBoards.org

Is add connected to mood swings?

First id like to state that the opening paragraphs on the blog about add matches my personality to a tee.first question is does having add cause or make you more susceptible to mood swings? Also is the person affected with add (by the way i hate labeling personality traits, i feel like it's a cop out) more likely to indulge in drugs and unsafe sex? 

12 hours ago, AsWeWindOnDownTheRoad said:

First id like to state that the opening paragraphs on the blog about add matches my personality to a tee.first question is does having add cause or make you more susceptible to mood swings?

ADD/ADHD tends to be a disorder of "executive function": affecting the processing of ambient information or distractions, time awareness, task switching (not just visible tasks, but internal tasks such as managing attention focus and short-term memory), and impulse control.

Of the two neurotransmitters most implicated in ADD/ADHD, dopamine, may be dysregulated in bipolar disorder or schizophrenia cases. The other, noradrenaline, can be an issue for anxiety disorders. And, of course, either one or both or neither may be dysregulated in clinical depression. So, while irritability and frustration may be loudly noticeable symptoms of ADD ... there's usually some sort of reason behind the temporary meltdown, very MUCH unlike a mood disorder which can have you in the dumps, flying high emotionally, or both in rapid succession in no damned relation to what's going on in the person's life.

i.e., having one doesn't necessitate nor preclude the other.

That can be a bit tricky for folks with bipolar disorder (which can respond with a spectacularly bad manic episode to stimulant meds) who also have ADD (and might need a stimulant, although some of the "activating" anti-depressants that are also used for ADD can be much kinder to those folks on the down-swings).

ADD's also one of the many reasons that "panic attack in a pill" anti-depressants like bupropion and desipramine carry warnings about somnolence. So does Vyvanse. And Adderall.

tl,dr: ADD comorbid with a mood disorder ... complicates things a wee bit. Except when it doesn't.

12 hours ago, AsWeWindOnDownTheRoad said:

Also is the person affected with add (by the way i hate labeling personality traits, i feel like it's a cop out) more likely to indulge in drugs and unsafe sex? 

Clinically significant poor impulse control isn't a personality trait, or a moral failing. If you've never, ever done something foolishly risky that seemed like a good idea at the time - there's probably an issue right there. If it's the story of your life, it's past time to visit a good pdoc.

Some studies, and lots of anecdotes (Cheaper by the dozen!) do suggest that "self-medication" is common with ADHD. The trouble is that the effects drugs are supposed to have on the general population aren't necessarily what the ADDer may get. So, while the experimentation rate may be somewhat higher, the abuse rate generally isn't. Just ... don't put decaf in the breakroom coffee pot. No, we didn't see the sign in front of it that we literally reached past to get to the carafe in the first place.

Unsafe sex. heh,

Do you REALLY expect the guy who's spent a half-hour looking for the glasses he was wearing, or the woman whose family has learned to check the refrigerator for the car keys, or either one who needs medication to remember to take their medication (Those cute day-planner pill trays made to keep everything organized in a safe place where it won't get lost? That's comedy gold.) to remember to have fresh condoms on hand for a spur-of-the-moment decision? Your best bet is to stop at a pharmacy on the way home while it's on your mind (maybe you'll remember to get this month's prescriptions filled. Win!) and use the leftovers for party balloons or something.

That middle ground between "oops. I thought I had that" and "why do I now have three hammers, some screws, and no nails?" is populated by Martha Stewart, Santa Claus, and Tom Cruise's sanity, as far as I can tell.  But, hey, with a bit of sideways thinking and inventiveness (which we ARE good at) there are lots of ways to have fun without risking disease, pregnancy, or other complications :)

Unfortunately, there have been a handful of studies comparing different mental illnesses and traffic/motor vehicle convictions. Those did show ADD/ADHD to be a more significant risk factor than any of the mood disorders. So ... in the back of a '57 Chevy, or a front seat of a Mini Cooper, probably not the best of ideas.

• Like 2