CrazyBoards.org

Fitbit measuring sleep?

My husband won a fitbit charge HR. I am just starting using it. It seemed simple to set up and it is measuring my steps and interacting with myfitnesspal fine. It is supposed to measure your sleep. If you wear it to bed it can tell when you are idle for awhile. It has been reading around 3 hours/night for me and none last night.

I know that isn't right. But, I don't know if I move a lot in my sleep or what. I get really tired during the day and i always thought it was the meds, but now I am wondering if I just don't sleep well. I am often up at 2 or 3 am, but I try to go back to sleep.

Anyone know anything about fitbits? I could probably have a sleep study. I don't sleep well at other places, away from home. I tend to wander at night.I would have a hard time laying there waiting for morning.

I had a Fitbit for awhile, as far as i could tell it measures your sleep but how much you toss and turn. It is quite possible that you aren't properly reaching REM sleep- which is where your mind recovers from the day. Also when you reach REM your brain releases a chemical that causes paralysis so you don't move and act out your dream. So it seems to make sense why the Fitbit doesn't register your sleep right because you aren't actually reaching the proper stage of sleep.

Obviously i can't tell you why you aren't hitting REM or even if that is the real problem, perhaps a talk to your gdoc would help more.

Good luck!   

A relative showed me a way to turn it on. I hold a button and it tell it i am going to sleep and push it when I wake up. I slept 11 hours last night. I don't like having to do it that way, though. It is supposed to automatically detect if you have slept over an hour.

I've had a few sleep studies.  Once I was given a bracelet-type item to wear.  It was able to see if I was asleep base on whether it was moving or not, so if you're asleep you're not moving.  I would think that the FitBit would do something similar, but maybe it's just not precise enough to do that.

Additionally.  You don't have to go into REM sleep to get a good night's rest.  I have had a few sleep studies that showed that I never go into REM sleep.  They think it is becaue of the APs I have taken.  I'm pretty sure that the FItBit doesn't keep track of if you're in REM sleep because you would need electrodes on your head to measure that.

It measures heart rate and movement to determine if you are restless or awake. It shows it on a graph. it can't tell what kind of sleep. I am hoping to get a good enough approximation for my pdoc because I have such issues with fatigue. I have never had a sleep study. 

My sleep study bracelet didn't have a heart rate detector, but it was about 12 years ago, so perhaps the technology is better now.  I hope you're able to deduce something from the data from your fitbit.  Mine was interesting because it showed that I went to sleep exactly two hours later each subsequent day.

Sleep studies are interesting, but they mostly concentrate on sleep apnea, and don't really know much of what to do with other problems.  My current problem is that I have what are called alpha-wave intrusions which are like micro-wakeups that take you out of deep sleep.  I had so many of these that they were barely able to read any other data.  I was mostly in stage 1 and 2 sleep, and didn't go into the deeper sleep of stage 3 and 4 and I never went into REM.  This explains why I have to sleep 11+ hours of sleep a night, but nobody knows why or what I can do to make it better.  I'm on SSDI, so it really doesn't matter that I sleep so much, but now I'm having problems in the afternoons where I have to take a nap in the afternoon, and even though my hours are pretty consistant.  There's not much time during the day for me to get things done.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Garmin 920xt that is a GPS watch for running/biking etc but also measures steps and sleep when not in GPS mode.  It looks at the amount of time in deep sleep vs. light sleep but I think it makes assumptions based on movement, because there are nights where I'm very still and would swear I've barely slept but it says I have.