CrazyBoards.org

So my new meds make my mouth really dry. Mild as side effects go and it wouldn't bother me on its own but I feel like it's also making my mouth smell bad. I have a phlegm taste in the back of my throat also. i drink plenty of water, brush my teeth, etc.

Was just wondering if anyone has experiences this (and i imagine many of us have) and if so, got any pointers?

I've been having that problem since restarting seroquel. I don't like gum or mints, so I just make sure that I always have water nearby (I'm on lithium too, double whammy). In a jug in the kitchen, in my car, on my nightstand, etc. There's a line of products, I think the name is biotene? I'm sure someone else will know, but they're designed to moisten your mouth. good luck, I know it can be maddening some days.

My pdoc recommended sugar-free gum/hard candy and trying the biotene products. They're supposed to be pretty effective. I have a 1L water bottle I've taken to carrying around with me. I periodically refill it with ice and water (really cold water seems to be more palatable to me). It's not optimal but it works.

My pdoc said it is something to address in one way or another because it can be bad for your teeth. 

It's bad for your teeth AND your gums to have dry-mouth, so all of the above suggestions are good.  Sugar-free gum and hard candies, lots of water, and holding a mouthful of water and swishing it around in your mouth before swallowing---all are helpful.  I don't get this from psych meds, but my blood pressure pill gives me dry-mouth.

I carry around those Listerine tabs to have when my mouth gets that icky stale flavor.  They help quite a bit and they don't hurt your teeth.

Just be wary of sugar-laden gum and hard candies:  they can destroy your teeth in a short time.  I've heard that the biotene products are very helpful.

olga

I agree with the chewing gum.  There are a bunch of toothpastes and mouthwashes out there for dry mouth.  I think ACT just came out with stuff (both toothpaste and mouthwash) for dry mouth, as well as the Biotene already mentioned.  Also juicy fruits helped me.  Eating a juicy piece of fruit would make the dry mouth not as bad.  It didn't eliminate it, but it helped.  I found that constantly drinking water to not work as well, because even drinking the water, 5 seconds later I'd need more.  And there is only so much water I can drink.  That was when I chewed a piece of gum.

When I had dry mouth I had bad breath, a "cotton" tongue feeling, and my teeth were dry.  My dentist always checks for it because it can lead to teeth and gum problems (like olga was saying).