CrazyBoards.org

TMS - experiences? Financing?

I'm doing deep tms right now.  I'm in my second week.  The dr's office and I worked really hard to get my insurance to pay for it.  It was a long haul over these past 6 months. They finally caved after my case went to an outside appeal board, through the state. I was approved for 36 treatments.

If you have insurance, see what their policy is with tms.

While waiting, I was switching meds around and got much much worse depression and anxiety wise. I'm talking in the bed can't function at all bad.  My siblings are driving me to my sessions.

More insurances are paying for it now so you might luck out.  Some dr's offer a discounted price if you pay up front and there's also medical loans if you want to go that route. 

1 hour ago, Fluffypinkbunny said:

I'm doing deep tms right now.  I'm in my second week.  The dr's office and I worked really hard to get my insurance to pay for it.  It was a long haul over these past 6 months. They finally caved after my case went to an outside appeal board, through the state. I was approved for 36 treatments.

While waiting, I was switching meds around and got much much worse depression and anxiety wise. I'm talking in the bed can't function at all bad.  My siblings are driving me to my sessions.

More insurances are paying for it now so you might luck out.  Some dr's offer a discounted price if you pay up front and there's also medical loans if you want to go that route. 

Sigh. How the heck is ANYONE supposed to have the time and energy to battle for insurance coverage, let alone those of us who are depressed?!  And if you're not anxious before battling the insurance companies, you will be after you start that process. :angry::wall:

My pdoc does TMS, but I have almost no insurance (unemployed and was too confused to get the right Obamacare) so I'm in no position to get it as a self-pay, especially since I haven't read a lot of glowing reviews about the efficacy of TMS 

Fluffypinkbunny, how has it worked for you? 

My other concern with TMS is the time and hassle factor.  You have to drive to the TMS place, sit through the session, and...do numerous session to see if it works.  And how long do you have to keep doing it?  Forever?  That seems almost as much of a pain as ECT, which has a longer history of proven results.  True, ECT requires anesthesia, which TMS does not, but both require numerous trips to medical facilities, significant time away from home/work, a fairly lengthy course of treatments......  Again, I would give TMS a shot if I heard it was highly effective, but for now, if I decided to do something other than medication, I would probably go for ECT.  It has a better reputation for effectiveness, and also, more insurance companies will pay for it (or so my pdoc said when I was considering it).

One other thought for yellowlovesgray--have you checked to see if there are any clinical research trials for TMS being done in your city?  Look on clinicaltrials.gov and search to see.   You have to meet criteria and do what they say to be in a clinical trial, so that's a hassle, too, but at least you get not only free treatment (well, unless it's a placebo-active study in which case you might only get the "sham" treatment, but whatever) but also usually get paid for your time and transportation.  So that would be another possibility to check out......

10 hours ago, Fluffypinkbunny said:

Thank you! I called my insurance yesterday and they gave me the billing codes they do NOT cover it under.

BUT, it's open enrollment season so I might see about ditching my work insurance and buying my own plan again and choosing one that will pay for it. We'll see though, because those don't usually include short term or long term disabilty insurance and work does, and I need that coverage. Thanks again! 

Are you feeling any better?

7 hours ago, CeruleanBlue said:

Sigh. How the heck is ANYONE supposed to have the time and energy to battle for insurance coverage, let alone those of us who are depressed?!  And if you're not anxious before battling the insurance companies, you will be after you start that process. :angry::wall:

My pdoc does TMS, but I have almost no insurance (unemployed and was too confused to get the right Obamacare) so I'm in no position to get it as a self-pay, especially since I haven't read a lot of glowing reviews about the efficacy of TMS 

Fluffypinkbunny, how has it worked for you? 

My other concern with TMS is the time and hassle factor.  You have to drive to the TMS place, sit through the session, and...do numerous session to see if it works.  And how long do you have to keep doing it?  Forever?  That seems almost as much of a pain as ECT, which has a longer history of proven results.  True, ECT requires anesthesia, which TMS does not, but both require numerous trips to medical facilities, significant time away from home/work, a fairly lengthy course of treatments......  Again, I would give TMS a shot if I heard it was highly effective, but for now, if I decided to do something other than medication, I would probably go for ECT.  It has a better reputation for effectiveness, and also, more insurance companies will pay for it (or so my pdoc said when I was considering it).

One other thought for yellowlovesgray--have you checked to see if there are any clinical research trials for TMS being done in your city?  Look on clinicaltrials.gov and search to see.   You have to meet criteria and do what they say to be in a clinical trial, so that's a hassle, too, but at least you get not only free treatment (well, unless it's a placebo-active study in which case you might only get the "sham" treatment, but whatever) but also usually get paid for your time and transportation.  So that would be another possibility to check out......

I'm on medical leave right now, and I'm out for 6-8 weeks but I want to my doctor and research insurance options next week and see if I can return to work early so I don't exhaust the 12 weeks of FMLA coverage, and take a second medical leave to do the TMS. Or, if we can somehow get my insurance to pay for it (they do under specific billing codes), then maybe I can take the 12 weeks now while I'm off already and do the whole thing at once. 

I'm at the halfway point now and expect things to go up from here. Every other day the intensity is increased.  My dr says he has a 80% success rate in his practice and has been doing tms for a very long time.  Back when they used hand held magnets.

With the deep tms I wear a sexy blue cap with chin snap.  Over that goes the helmet.  I thought I would only feel tapping on one side of my head.  Wrong, It also hits the other side too.   Almost like it's treating the whole brain.  As they increase the intensity it makes my jaw tremble.  Most wear mouth guards to avoid chipping teeth.  I just keep my mouth and jaw shut tight.  You also have to wear ear plugs and mostly I keep my eyes shut and try to relax.  I sit in a very comfortable chair with my legs up.  The sessions go really fast at about 20 minutes

I ask about other patients.  One was in a really bad state when she started.  When done she went into remission and off all her meds.  A year later she's back in for additional sessions as she felt like she was slipping.  I never invisioned going off of meds and maybe that's why she has to come back in. I have a mild headache ever day but it doesn't bother me.

Here's what it looks like: 

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=deep+tms&FORM=HDRSC3#view=detail&mid=7DAEB49EA098E66683257DAEB49EA098E6668325

Edited by Fluffypinkbunny

• 5 months later...

Hi Fluffy,

Do you remember me, I believe my insurance covers it and I am going in for a free consultation. I am very concerned about the process - I hope it works for you.

sook

NOTE: I thinks it's $10,000.00 out of pocket without insurance ?

Edited by sook