CrazyBoards.org

sleeping too much all the time

I sleep way too much then get up and sleep some more I am wondering if its just my meds causing this or is something more serious wrong with me? I can sleep upwards of 16 hours a night and then get up and still feel extremely exhausted I thought all this time it could be my meds then maybe its something else. I am on  a very low dose of Abilify5mg and Lexapro10mg you'd think I would have more energy nope not at all. I feel like the Walking Dead. Or a zombie to explain it better. I can barely pick my feet up at times I feel Heavy and Like I am emotionally Spiritually and Psychically drained. Anyone have any advice on what to do or the problem I may have I can guess all day but am worried that something serious is wrong with me my mom said congestive Heart failure but I don't think I have that God I hope not that's really serious. I guess the only way to really find out is to have some tests done by my Family Dr. Also I have headaches a lot not all the time but I do have them a lot and I always say its sinus problems when I have headaches but who knows I am almost afraid to find out I don't like going to The Dr. unless I am really dying and wont know that unless I go right I don't even think I would want to know if I was dying or not unless my family wanted answers to why I was dying or whatever.

There could be a lot of reasons for your exhaustion, and the only way to properly find out is by going to the doctor. It could be Mono, Iron deficiency, thyroid issues, a bout of depression, etc. Any of these things are not immediately life threatening but they can escalate; i truly think it's best if you go see a doctor and until then just make sure you stay properly hydrated.

Wish you all the best

• Like 1

Have you had a sleep study? A good physical work up from your GP lately? Just some ideas.

I've had a few sleep studies (night ones and a day one) so let me know if you have any questions.

I have sleep apnea and still have hypersomnia and narcolepsy issues even after nightly cpap usage. So I take provigil too. It helps somewhat. 

I know how horrible it is to be tired all the damn time. 

• Like 1

Go to an internist or maybe even an endocrinologist (SOME kind of body doctor, not "just" a pdoc) and get lab tests run on your body fluids!  I would especially have your thyroid checked and rechecked by someone who knows their stuff in that area.  I've read that some people are hypothyroid but have "normal" test readings because they have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune disease that can show as normal on preliminary test results but can be diagnosed by further testing-IF the physician is really knowledgeable.  I've read many aren't.  I recommend reading up on hypothyroidism, too.  Fatigue and weight gain are two big symptoms.

Of course, something else may be responsible, either in your body or in your neurotransmitters.   But do go to a Dr. who will check out the physical stuff.  Too often, I think psychiatry exists in a silo where pdocs get so focused on neurotransmitters that they completely ignore the possibility of our moods being impacted by hormonal or other physical problems.  I certainly don't think hormones, gluten, exercise, vitamins, etc. are the whole answer to most psych issues.  But sometimes, they probably do play a role.  It is up to us as patients to seek physical testing if the pmeds are not doing the trick, though, as I think most pdocs simply don't go there, unfortunately.  Just my amateur opinion. 

• 4 months later...

Melina-

Did you ever follow up on this?

I am experiencing the same thing. 

I can sleep for 20 hours at a time. The problem is I work a full time job.

I just called in sick today and slept for 20 hours. When I do go to work I always nap in my car on my lunch break and often fall asleep at my desk.

I am tired all the time. I have no energy to do anything and then the guilt starts. I have Major Depression and I was doing good for a while, but it's starting to creep in again.

Two weeks ago I slept for 20 hours a day for 4 days in a row. I stopped taking my Seroquel and started on Pristiq. At first I thought it was the Pristiq, but now I think it was quitting the Seroquel. I quit the Pristiq and started taking the Seroquel again. The crying spells have stopped, but I am still depressed. 

I did get some blood work done at my work. It was mandatory for insurance purposes. They faxed it to my pdoc and we are going to go over it all on Saturday. It did say my red blood cell count was low so if I'm anemic that could explain some of it.

Now I'm starting to consider if I could get on disability. My last job I had to take short term disability when I went in patient and I am already starting to get in trouble for taking sick days at my new job.

I am sure there is info on this site for disability. I will check out that forum section next. I am so happy I found this website. I don't feel so alone. So thank you all :)

Daytime sleepiness and night time insomnia has been my issue.  I was on Adderall for the daytime stuff which helped a lot.  An endo is an excellent idea but I would still run it past your GDoc first.   My stupid insurance issues caught up with me (Again) and now they are just declining prescriptions that might cost more then $4 generics (or so it seems)  So even the generic adderall is expensive so its off the "approved" list.  Which is really great if your driving long distances and wake up in a different lane on the highway.

• Like 1

Thank you, Melissa-

I don't know much about neurology, so I am going to start with talking to my pdoc since I have an appointment on Saturday and go from there...

I appreciate your response. Hopefully I can get some answers and some relief. 

5 hours ago, taramisue said:

Thank you, Melissa-

I don't know much about neurology, so I am going to start with talking to my pdoc since I have an appointment on Saturday and go from there...

I appreciate your response. Hopefully I can get some answers and some relief. 

You're welcome :) I hope you get some answers and relief too.  Hang in there :)

• 1 month later...

haven't followed up with a sleep apnea test but I will try and see if I can get into a sleep study and see what they find out my mom has sleep apnea and I am pretty sure I have it as well. I had my thyroid checked several times and it always comes back saying its normal so I don't know I may have to have it checked again by a Dr. Experienced with underactive or active thyroid. I could have thyroid problems and I know I am 98 percent sure I have sleep apnea I snore big time because I am overweight been recently dieting for the past couple of weeks on these gummies called Garcinia Cambogia its a type of fruit that lowers your cholesterol blood pressure and also reduces your weight over time I only been on it for a few weeks so I will give it a month and see if it helps me lose some weight if this doesn't work then I don't know what else to do seems like nothing works in helping me to lose weight  and if I do lose I gain it back but we shall see how this diet goes.

I had my thyroid checked several times and it always comes back saying its normal so I don't know I may have to have it checked again by a Dr. Experienced with underactive or active thyroid.

An endocrinologist could help with that.