CrazyBoards.org

What to do with all this unused Abilify?

Hey guys,

I've got close to a 3 month supply of 5 mg generic Abilify that I paid out of pocket for. Don't ask -- I could've bought a used car with that money.  Anyway, I've been taken off it and it's just lying around. 

What the hell should I do with these?  I guess I could flush them, but that's like $2500 going down the toilet.  Is there any way to recoup some of the money I spent?

Note to mods:  I am NOT, in any way, trying to sell these on the forum  I am just looking for legitimate advice.

Thanks  

Personally I bring extra/old/unused meds to the police station ... they have a "mailbox" inside the station that you can drop the medication in there.

If they dont do that in your area, I would try calling the police station to ask what to do with the meds.  Also, if you throw it away, I've also been told by my pharmacist to grind it up and mix with coffee grounds and then after that, throw it in the trash. ( I don't drink any coffee so I didn't do that, but it is an idea).

Here the correct procedure to follow in dealing with unused meds is to return them to the pharmacy for safe and legal disposal. They emphasise that they should NOT be flushed down the toilet. It's illegal for the pharmacy to resell them, and I can't imagine that it would be legal for you to do so as an individual.

• Like 1

Dratton, the others are correct:  you should return those meds to the pharmacy, or to your local law enforcement officers.  In my area, it is the county sheriff who has a collection box in the lobby for unused meds.  They incinerate them so they don't go into our water supply.  Do NOT flush them---there are cities that now have measurable levels of drugs in their reservoirs and rivers.

In future, when a doctor is starting you on a new med, ask if you can get samples, or just a one-month supply.  If it doesn't work out, you won't be out so much money.  I'm sorry you had to spend all that money for the Abilify.

olga

FWIW ... Here, the pharmacy is not allowed to take them back.  They will give you an envelope to put the meds in so you can send them to (wherever) to get rid of the meds, or tell you to grind them up and mix with coffee grounds or cat littler or something.  But they will not take any med back once it has left the pharmacy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Will said:

thanks, melissa

maybe it goes without saying that when turning them in to anyone you might want to scratch your name off the bottle

When I bring them to the police station I don't do that.  But like with empty pill bottles I use up and throw the empty bottles in the trash, I have one of those ID rollers ... is black ink in a roller so when you roll it over the med name and your name, it looks encrypted and you can't see a single thing. (I learned though that if you use the roller, you only roll over the names (or whatever) ONE time; if more than that you'll be able to see through the black).

Here is what they look like ...

http://www.whateverworks.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=K2581&source=igodigital

My psychiatrist will take unused medications from me (that she's prescribed) if they are in sealed blister packs or if the pharmacy gave them to me in the sealed original manufacturer's bottles where you have to peel off the tinfoil seal thing after removing the cap to get to the pills (assuming I haven't opened the bottle and peeled off the seal).

If they are unsealed or in regular pharmacy bottles, I usually mix them with really gross trash and throw them out. I think technically things like oxycontin, morphine, etc. are recommended by the FDA to be flushed because they are so at risk of being used illegally and possibly causing death, but it's a short list of flushables.

9 hours ago, aquarian said:

If they are unsealed or in regular pharmacy bottles, I usually mix them with really gross trash and throw them out. I think technically things like oxycontin, morphine, etc. are recommended by the FDA to be flushed because they are so at risk of being used illegally and possibly causing death, but it's a short list of flushables.

I didn't believe this about flushing meds, but you are right:

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/EnsuringSafeUseofMedicine/SafeDisposalofMedicines/ucm186188.htm

Personally though I would still not dump them in the toilet or sink.  Any drug in certain quantities can be lethal, not just the oxycontin, etc.

I'm just curious, if you don't mind me asking, why were you taken off of them, and is there a possibility in the near future to try it again? There's been a couple of meds that I'm on the second go-round with, within a varying cocktail. Recently my pdoc asked if I had kept the seroquel 400mg that I was previously on, sadly, the answer was no. I wish I had, this stuff is expensive out of pocket. It had been stored in a cool dry place, not sure of its lifespan. Just a thought, before you dispose of them. 

dont flush pills down the toilet. if you have to throw em out, put em in the trash.  municipal water plants can't filter out chemicals from the water supply even though they can filter out sewage.  all those chemicals affect people's drinking water in the long run.  only reason why i know this is from an environmental science college course i had and also we toured a water treatment plant.  it was gross but educational.