CrazyBoards.org

is there anything like this?  i am warned not to have caffeine because a) i have tachycardia (racing heart beat) and B) its not good for my bones, and i have scoliosis n stuff, and c) doesnt help my skin.

any natural stuff that will help me stay awake?

is there anything like this?  i am warned not to have caffeine because a) i have tachycardia (racing heart beat) and B) its not good for my bones, and i have scoliosis n stuff, and c) doesnt help my skin.

any natural stuff that will help me stay awake?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do get a boost from those energy drinks, but it's not speedy. It's weird. I had one yesterday that was yummy and boosty. I would check it out thoroughly before consuming, since you do have tachycardia.

Herbal stims can be as or more compromising to a weak heart, so be very careful and do you're homework (as you are...) Just don't want you to get hurt.  ;)

Suze

ok, i will ask my pdoc...maybe there are some meds on the market too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you an afford a homeopathic consult that would be the best, imo. There is a guy here in town that is Nurse Practioner who specializes in homeopathy. So you get the best of both worlds. Unfortunately, insurance doesn't pay. Cuz they're fuckers about holistic healing. But, my friend saw this guy, Eric, for her acne. Her prescribed her a remedy for her acne and her skin cleared up. She saw him one time. It was amazing and I would never have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes. Her skin is STILL clear 4 years later. I have often contemplated seeing him, but it's about 150 for the original consult. I've wanted to see him about my migraines. They are outta control. But I stay so busy trying to stay mentally stable with tdoc/pdoc I don't have the energy to address the other shit. Even though I know my frequent migraines soooooo affect my mental state--just ask my kids!

Hugs,

Suze

If you have real trouble getting going in the AM, I'd look into a light box. I occasionally do the light treatment thing, and not only will it jump start your system but it's a powerful anti-depressant and it will make you sleep much better too. I got my light box (actually an adjustable lamp, but full spectrum, 10,000 lux or whatever) covered 100% by insurance on the last day I had a plan that gave this coverage. It required a doctor's note to the insurer, but my doctor had never heard of light therapy before I explained it to her (being one of a long string of pdocs I've had who appear not to have received an education).

Without insurance, you can make a simple (but slightly annoying) light setup. Years ago I made one out of grow-lights and a clothes drying rack. The lights need to be bright enough and full spectrum, to simulate sunlight.

When I've used the lights, I swear it makes winter feel like summer. I can even see the bummed out, over-stressed looks on other people more, as my mood is brightened so much.

I absolutely hate light and would not tolerate it.  It makes my head hurt so much.

I keep my room dark, and FREAK OUT whenever someone turns on the overhead light.  Yeah, I'm a vampire.  Extreme brightness or heat just kills me.

Well, although there are significant differences in the *amount* of light people require/prefer, apparently related to one's ancestry, all people function much better with *regular* diurnal cycles of light and dark. Not being able to wake up would be pretty much the primary sign of not having such a rythym, and living in the dark would be a good guess as to the cause. But you may be light-sensitive for a number of reasons.

Do you take all the Effexor in the morning on waking? If not, that would be one thing to try. If you weren't on an SSRI, I'd say try over-the-counter melatonin before bed, but this is a bad thing to stay on for more than a few days. Melatonin/serotonin are heavily regulated by the diurnal light cycle, but are obviously also manipulated by meds. These transmitters reinforce each other, so if one is strong the other will be, and after a good night's sleep one should awaken with serotonin levels relatively high for the day.

Last idea is that having a breakfast high in protein and fat will wake you up and make you more focused (the fat helps you maintain protein levels all day, including hormones, including insulin, which in turn helps maintain blood sugar all day, which in turn helps maintain concentration and energy, which burns a lot of calories, and all of this will help you get to sleep at night). So bacon and eggs are a better wake-up by far than typical cereal and juice. I'm not sure what good high-protein vegetarian breakfasts might be.

Sorry for all the info, but those are the things I can suggest.

morning, what's that?

i can't wake up people!  i know of no such thing as a morning!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's usually the time between "getting up" and "waking up". No, wait, that's "daytime" ...

Ideally, if you can get out of the horizontal long enough to start moving around, morning

exercise can be really good. Right. If I'm *that* awake, I can find reasons to reset the alarm

and go back to sleep.

Anyway, this weekend I ran into a rude version of "light therapy after setting many of the

house's lights to timers. At time X, the bedroom floor lamp came on. I promptly rolled over

away from it. 30 minutes later, on came the hall light. The bare-bulb one that I was now

facing.  A few Anglo-Saxon monosyllables later I was ready for coffee.

But, I just wanted to throw those options out, as I've found it critical to get physically away

from the bed, get carbs/stims in ASAP, and have an easily-remembered but not easily-

rescheduled goal, or even with stims it's a bear to get up and going.

Archived