CrazyBoards.org

How effective is this for delusions, paranoia and psychosis in general?

I have just been started on it today after Palliperidone not working well enough. I have SZA BP type I am also on prozac so I am hoping for the mood stablising effect too.

Also how bad is the weight gain and appetite effect with the olanzipine?

Thanks in advance

22 hours ago, miss-e said:

How effective is this for delusions, paranoia and psychosis in general?

I have just been started on it today after Palliperidone not working well enough. I have SZA BP type I am also on prozac so I am hoping for the mood stablising effect too.

Also how bad is the weight gain and appetite effect with the olanzipine?

Thanks in advance

I took 20 mg for years. It was like a miracle drug for me. Invega didn't do much for me psychosis wise either. it helped a bit but not nearly anything like zyprexa. I never got full blown manic on zyprexa either. It kept me pretty even. But I did experience depressions on it, but I bet they were not as bad though because of the med.

I also have SZA bipolar. I can't handle AD's though due to manic tendencies. So I can't speak to the Prozac and zyprexa combo.

I did gain weight though. About a good 60 lbs. I would eat chunks out of blocks of cheese (that's how I thought of my username, ha). Seriously. Late night after I took it before I was knocked out by it. I slept beautifully and didn't oversleep on it either. Just a perfect 10 hours. Seroquel makes me sleep more sadly or it could be my sleep disorders doing that. Idk. 

My appetite was increased yes. I got off of it for health reasons because of the weight gain. I developed sleep apnea. Luckily nothing else major health wise. 

Some people here take it prn only and don't gain weight. I couldn't do that as I need that AP coverage constantly. But it is something to ask your pdoc about if you think it may be worth a go. 

But of course ymmv. It is a good drug IME. Try your best to watch your eating and get good exercise. That would be my non professional advice. Talk to your dr or a dietician if you think you need help to maintain your weight while on zyprexa. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

Olanzapine is one of the most effective meds around. My doc told me it's the most effective after Clozaril. And it's chemically very similar to Clozaril, which is the most most MOST effective but it's not commonly prescribed because of a single rather rare possibly fatal side effect. Olanzapine (Zyprexa) is basically a very effective one. it is a weaker version of Clozaril without that rare side effect, basically.

Edited by Überpolarbear
  • Like 1

On 13/11/2015 9:07:30, survivingbp said:

Lost weight while on olanzapine (20mg). Can't speak for psychosis as mine has only ever been contained to mood episodes, but great for mood stabilization. More effective than anything else I've ever tried, for both mania and depression. 

How long were you on it for

Thanks for the replies everyone.

And I do realise it would be different for everybody too.