CrazyBoards.org

Hiya everyone,

I have a whole host of conflicting mental illnesses that are very hard to treat (see signature line).

I must take my Prozac to keep my OCD in check. Without it, the OCD runs rampant. But I believe the Prozac is causing me to ultra-rapid cycle (cycling every week, sometimes every day). I need to take anti-convulsants for my BP II.

So, to break this stalemate, my pdoc and I were thinking of replacing the Prozac with Luvox. Can any of you share your experiences with this drug? Will it also help with generalized anxiety and panic disorder? I take the Prozac for those two things as well.

Thanks so much! :)

troop

Edited by troop111

Hiya everyone,

I initially posted this in the OCD forum, but it appears to be a dead forum. I'm posting here because Luvox is an anti-depressant that I'm sure many here have taken.

I have a whole host of conflicting mental illnesses that are very hard to treat (see signature line).

I must take my Prozac to keep my OCD in check. It also helps with my GAD and Panic Disorder, and maybe my depression too (my depression is from BP II, so it's a little different than regular clinical depression). Without it, the OCD runs rampant. But I believe the Prozac is causing me to ultra-rapid cycle (cycling every week, sometimes every day). I need to take anti-convulsants for my BP II (Lamictal). I also take Valium, but I've been on benzos for 10 years, so I don't know if they're helping or hurting. I don't really get panic attacks anymore, but that could be from the Prozac. See? It's a big cluster-F :D

So, to break this stalemate, my pdoc and I were thinking of replacing the Prozac with Luvox. Can any of you share your experiences with this drug?

Thanks so much! :)

troop

Edited by troop111

I have no direct experience with Luvox, but I do know that Luvox and Anafranil are considered the gold standards for treating OCD (along with therapy). Luvox is an SSRI (same class as Prozac) and so it should also help with anxiety. However, I have no idea how it will affect your bipolar.

I've been following the thread and hesitant to respond, since I think -- hope -- my experience was atypical. I tried it once on the insistence of my pdoc that it would help with an intense obsession over a traumatic experience of being rejected and abandoned by a therapist. I took one dose. It intensified the obsession, and drove me into a state of mania and extreme paranoia that lasted about three or four hours. I think I came very close to trying to hurt someone and myself. It was the most frightening experience I've ever had. I think I was also taking Geodon at the time.

I should also note, and part of the reason I've been hesitant to respond, that I don't generally respond well to meds -- I rarely see any improvement in my symptoms, and the few times I have it's fleeting.

Supposedly it's great. Your sig says you've taken it before. If you didn't have an adverse reaction that time, it's probably worth trying. Hope you have better results.

9 hours ago, in_media_res said:

I've been following the thread and hesitant to respond, since I think -- hope -- my experience was atypical. I tried it once on the insistence of my pdoc that it would help with an intense obsession over a traumatic experience of being rejected and abandoned by a therapist. I took one dose. It intensified the obsession, and drove me into a state of mania and extreme paranoia that lasted about three or four hours. I think I came very close to trying to hurt someone and myself. It was the most frightening experience I've ever had.

This was just from one dose Res?