CrazyBoards.org

Early onset Alzheimer's or too many years of psych drugs??

I just turned 27. My grandpa had Alzheimer's and died from Parkinson. I've been pretty concerned about my memory and word recall lately. I discussed this with my Neurologist 2 years ago, and he chalked it up to Topamax. Well I haven't taken Topamax in months. Thankfully I see him next month because I will be talking to him about it then. My memory has probably gotten at least 5 times as worse since last seeing him. I have horrible memory, and even worse word recall. I often can't think of the word I'm looking for. I also have been forgetting how to spell simple words. I just forgot how to spell unopposed a couple days ago. Sometimes it's really easy 4 or 5 letter words I can't remember how to spell. I even try to sound it out like kids do when first learning to spell, and I almost always have to try to Google and hope it comes up with the word I'm looking for. I have been on various psych medication for 11 years. I really need some thoughts or experience with this.

There is a genetic test for the dominantly inherited Alzheimer's causing gene that you could ask about.

I only know about it because I have opted not to get it, even though my maternal grandfather's family are carriers.

Neuro is a  good place to get evaluated for Alzheimer's or other things that might be interfering with wordfinding.

To answer your question ... Idk what it is, but I have had the same problems for awhile now.  Everything you described.  Atm I have word (recall, spelling, losing my train of thought ... everything related), and am chalking it up to the years of being on psych meds.

I hope it isn't either of those though. 

Please post if you find anything else about it.  I'm interested in hearing it.  Thanks for posting.

I will def let you guys know what the Neuro says. While researching it, I did see that there was a genetic test that could be done to see if you had a gene that carried Alzheimer's. But some people can still get it without the gene being present. This is a pretty stressful situation. I'm going to try to not obsess about it until I see my Neuro doctor.

I'm pretty sure you don't have Alzheimer's. I'm not a doctor, but the way I understand it is that early-onset Alzheimer's develops in your 40s or 50s and rarely in the 30s. You aren't even 30. Also, just because your grandfather had Alzheimer's doesn't mean that you have the early-onset type in your family and early onset Alzheimer's is the type that is genetic. As Wooster said, there are genetic tests if you are really worried.

Meds and mental illness are well known to cause cognitive problems.

I must be having deja vu because I could have sworn this thread was posted last week.

29 minutes ago, jt07 said:

I'm pretty sure you don't have Alzheimer's. I'm not a doctor, but the way I understand it is that early-onset Alzheimer's develops in your 40s or 50s and rarely in the 30s. You aren't even 30. Also, just because your grandfather had Alzheimer's doesn't mean that you have the early-onset type in your family and early onset Alzheimer's is the type that is genetic. As Wooster said, there are genetic tests if you are really worried.

Meds and mental illness are well known to cause cognitive problems.

I must be having deja vu because I could have sworn this thread was posted last week.

I haven't been seeing any threads because I haven't been on this website for months until I posted this.

3 hours ago, IcePrincess88 said:

I haven't been seeing any threads because I haven't been on this website for months until I posted this.

There was a recent post about memory and topomax. I remember someone (VE?) saying it takes awhile for the cognitive symptoms from topomax to go away. I take it and I have trouble finding words. Sometimes I make gestures, and I lose my train of thought. No family history of Alzheimers.

When you talk to the neurologist let them know when you stopped topomax along with your current ones. I wish it wasn't so stressful for you. 

7 hours ago, confused said:

There was a recent post about memory and topomax. I remember someone (VE?) saying it takes awhile for the cognitive symptoms from topomax to go away. I take it and I have trouble finding words. Sometimes I make gestures, and I lose my train of thought. No family history of Alzheimers.

When you talk to the neurologist let them know when you stopped topomax along with your current ones. I wish it wasn't so stressful for you. 

Oh ok. Well thanks for letting me know. I was on Topamax for maybe 2 years. I can never remember to take it because I have so many other medications to take. I haven't had a migraine in a while, and I thought somehow it'd be better just not taking it instead of going on and off. If you don't mind me asking,how long have you been on meds? I also posted a thread before this, maybe a month or so ago, about my Psychology teacher that told me how "bad: Seroquel is and how it "causes permanent cognition problems". My pdoc also told me months ago that Xanax can cause permanent cognitive effects. However, those two medications have alwas been a crucial  part of my magical combination of meds. I started on those(along with many other) 11 years ago, but I have been on those 2 since the very beginning. I'm just worried about having such bad memory and word recall at 27. I can only imagine my brain in a few years.

I have horrible memory.  I was always a great speller, and I can now barely fill in a crossword puzzle.  I will be reading something on the internet that will spark an interest in me, and in the time it takes to open a new tab, I have forgotten what I was going to look at.

I have discussed dementia and alzheimers with my pdoc, and one thing in particular stuck with me.  He said that it's not a problem if you can't remember what you did with your keys, it when you find them and don't know what they are for.

8 hours ago, IcePrincess88 said:

Oh ok. Well thanks for letting me know. I was on Topamax for maybe 2 years. I can never remember to take it because I have so many other medications to take. I haven't had a migraine in a while, and I thought somehow it'd be better just not taking it instead of going on and off. If you don't mind me asking,how long have you been on meds? I also posted a thread before this, maybe a month or so ago, about my Psychology teacher that told me how "bad: Seroquel is and how it "causes permanent cognition problems". My pdoc also told me months ago that Xanax can cause permanent cognitive effects. However, those two medications have alwas been a crucial  part of my magical combination of meds. I started on those(along with many other) 11 years ago, but I have been on those 2 since the very beginning. I'm just worried about having such bad memory and word recall at 27. I can only imagine my brain in a few years.

I have been on different psych meds since 2003, topomax for a year.

Some meds have been shown to actually increase gray matter. 

I know I don't want to go back to being floridly psychotic. Psychotic breaks can cause permanent impairment and some symptoms, like depression, can cause temporary issues,

my pdoc says it is anxiety that is causing these problems, the loss of train of thought and trouble with words. I am anxious a lot but I don't think that is right.  I am 51 so there is aging, too.

FWIW my memory seemed to change with the topomax, but it hasn't been getting any worse over time.

i am hoping someone who knows more about this subject will jump in. And that you get some answers from the neuro

Talk to your doctor for sure.  There is solid evidence that lithium is neuroprotective.  There is some data that second generation antipsychotics are neuroprotective.  This is something that has interested me for a long time and what I am saying here is just the result of internet browsing.

11 hours ago, dilemma said:

I have horrible memory.  I was always a great speller, and I can now barely fill in a crossword puzzle.  I will be reading something on the internet that will spark an interest in me, and in the time it takes to open a new tab, I have forgotten what I was going to look at.

I have discussed dementia and alzheimers with my pdoc, and one thing in particular stuck with me.  He said that it's not a problem if you can't remember what you did with your keys, it when you find them and don't know what they are for.

Thanks for posting this ...  That is helpful to know.

On 11/19/2015, 5:35:38, dilemma said:

I think my cognitive lose may be worse. Not to compare or anything. But i will walk into different rooms of the house for something, but when I get to the room I can absolutely NO idea what I went in there for. Last year, I was basically chalking it up to marijuana, but I don't smoke anymore(thanks to the drug tests my pdoc does every visit!) I've always been a pretty good speller, and now I can't even remember how to spell simple words. I know it's gotten significantly(could spell that either, had to look it up) worse since last fall because I was taking an Arguementive Writing English class and I never had problems spelling anything in that class while writing papers. Now, its a whole lot worse. Sometime even when I try to google it to get correct spelling, I'm so far off that I cant even find it.

On 11/19/2015, 9:52:21, Will said:

Talk to your doctor for sure.  There is solid evidence that lithium is neuroprotective.  There is some data that second generation antipsychotics are neuroprotective.  This is something that has interested me for a long time and what I am saying here is just the result of internet browsing.

I don't take Lithium, so Im assuming your referring to the Seroquel. Tell me more about this "neuroprotective". I had no idea what that is.

This is an animal study from 2009 on aap and neuro protective effects

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2675159/

I think lithium was mentioned because it is better known for those effects ( lots on Google. Search)

FWIW there are supplements termed nootropics that are supposed to boost brain function. I don't know about most of them. I take one called sarcosine that is supposed to help with negative symptoms and cognitive decline from schizophrenia. I blogged a bit and posted about it if you want to search. It is a form of glycine, an amino acid. My pharmacist didn't know abut it but my pdoc said it was safe with my meds.

17 hours ago, confused said:

This is an animal study from 2009 on aap and neuro protective effects

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2675159/

I think lithium was mentioned because it is better known for those effects ( lots on Google. Search)

FWIW there are supplements termed nootropics that are supposed to boost brain function. I don't know about most of them. I take one called sarcosine that is supposed to help with negative symptoms and cognitive decline from schizophrenia. I blogged a bit and posted about it if you want to search. It is a form of glycine, an amino acid. My pharmacist didn't know abut it but my pdoc said it was safe with my meds.

I'll have to research this more. I tried to read that articular but it was a lot of "fancy" talk, AKA words I have no idea the meaning to.

On a unrelated note, I check out librairy books every week. I get 2 or 3 at a time because I read pretty fast and it gives me something to do besides watch Netflix. I'd always heard that reading helps keep your mind sharp. However, I read at least 3 books a week and I'm still having these cognitive problems.

15 hours ago, IcePrincess88 said:

I'll have to research this more. I tried to read that articular but it was a lot of "fancy" talk, AKA words I have no idea the meaning to.

On a unrelated note, I check out librairy books every week. I get 2 or 3 at a time because I read pretty fast and it gives me something to do besides watch Netflix. I'd always heard that reading helps keep your mind sharp. However, I read at least 3 books a week and I'm still having these cognitive problems.

That is so great that you read. 

There are probably better, more recent studies, that was just one I found.