CrazyBoards.org

Seraquel and intrusive rumination

This is my first post. I've been looking through the different topics and I've not seen anything about treatment of intrusive rumination. I've been diagnosed with bipolar about six months ago. I always thought I was just moody. Turns out that Lamictal helps with my bipolar depression a great deal but I still have a big problem with recurring, disturbing thoughts. The best analogy I can give is that it's like any time you may have had a jingle from a commercial or part of a song stuck in your head and the more you try to forget it, the more trouble you have with it. This would be fine if it was something like the words to a Justin Bieber song but what I get stuck on is dark and disturbing in the extreme. It's always concerning my wife. It's nothing violent or hostile, just upsetting thoughts usually sexual in nature. I've talked about this with my psychiatrist and he's put me on Seroquel in the hope that it will help. I've only been taking this for two weeks and it makes me feel like ass. Tired and dopey, almost drunk. I take it at night before bed and wake up feeling groggy and slow. This lasts for several hours. So far nothing as far as relief from the unwanted thoughts. In know it hasn't been very long on the Seroquel but I just wanted to hear from anyone with similar experiences. Anyone?

Hi! Welcome to Crazyboards. I'm going to move this post to the antipsychotics forum, you'll get a wider viewership there. Don't worry, you haven't done anything wrong, we move posts all day, including people's who have been here for years.

Edited by crtclms

I can relate to the thoughts thing to some extent with certain delusions playing in my head all the time when I was psychotic, but I do not think it had anything to do with seroquel, if anything seroquel reduced those kinds of symptoms,

The grogginess goes away after a while. When I first started seroquel I was much more impaired by it than I am now and I was only on 25mg back then (now taking 600mg at night). I even take many 25 mg pills PRN throughout the day, on top of my night dose, with no resulting fatigue.

The lower doses of Seroquel I was on, the more dopey I was, though to be honest that dopiness lasted at 800mg.  But I also think I am unusual in finding it that sedating.

I get the rumination - it sounds like intrusive thoughts.  When I'm  unwell I get those, usually violent.  We were talking about having kids and there was a good month were I constantly fantasized (maybe the wrong way of putting it) about killing the baby before or after I'd given birth.  It was calming to me to know I could kill it if I needed to.  

Not that that helps you, but you're not alone.

Welcome to CB!

Can you get Seroquel XR? It's the extended release version and you can take it in the morning, night, whenever, its not  as sedating.

The doped up feeling happens when starting it. It eventually goes away.

Thanks for the input you guys. It helps a lot to know that chances are the grogginess will most likely fade. 

I'm pretty sure my psychiatrist won't have a problem with the extended release version, I plan on asking this morning when I get the chance. I've been taking 100mg at night with the instructions to increase the dose to 200mg in ten days or when I wake up feeling rested and not sedated. 

Thanks again for sharing. It's nice to know there are others out there dealing with the same things. The only people that know what's happening with me besides my doctor are immediate family members and they don't know what to think yet. My wife is very supportive, but others seem to think there's nothing wrong and I don't need anything besides a change in attitude. I wish it was that easy.

I take 800 mg of the XR seroquel. I found the IR seroquel to be more sedating. It has really helped me a lot with no major full blown manic episodes as long as I stay on it. The tiredness has mostly gone away with a change to the XR seroquel for me. And I've lost about 20 lbs since switching to the XR version even.

I hope your appointment went well with your dr. Seroquel is a good med for lots of folks. I hope it helps you. 

Thanks for the input W.C. I checked with my doc and will be making the switch to ER when my current rx is finished in 8 days. You mentioned some weight loss. I've noticed that my appetite and craving for sweet things has increase to the point that I'm finding myself giving in when I know I don't need to be eating. I woke up last night and chowed down on an entire day's worth of calories between 11:00 & 12:30. Is that just a side effect of the Seroquel or am I just finding an excuse to overindulge? I've already put some weight on and only been 3 weeks. 

1 hour ago, Unquiet said:

Thanks for the input W.C. I checked with my doc and will be making the switch to ER when my current rx is finished in 8 days. You mentioned some weight loss. I've noticed that my appetite and craving for sweet things has increase to the point that I'm finding myself giving in when I know I don't need to be eating. I woke up last night and chowed down on an entire day's worth of calories between 11:00 & 12:30. Is that just a side effect of the Seroquel or am I just finding an excuse to overindulge? I've already put some weight on and only been 3 weeks. 

I also woke up starving when I was on the quel. 

5 hours ago, Unquiet said:

To be fair, I have gained weight on seroquel. I was on zyprexa at 20 mg for years and I gained at least 60 lbs. I probably have gained at least 30 more pounds from the seroquel over several more years before the XR came out even and it was brand name still. But I switched to the XR recently (even though it costs a lot more!!!) and that along with going to the gym a lot during the week has led to the 20 lb weight loss. I was more spotty with going to the gym and then my mom recently retired and now I go regularly. But I always exercised. So go figure. Losing the 20 lbs could in all honesty be from going regularly to the gym once again. I really don't know. And YMMV (your mileage may vary) as we like to say around here! Talk to your pdoc about any side effects that concern you from the seroquel. Also it's probably a good idea to talk to a dr before beginning any kind of rigorous workout program. Which you probably already know of course!

Hi, since I stopped antidepressants I take 50mg IR Seroquel at night for sleep and I am loosing weight slowly but constantly, it killed my appetite and in two months I lost about 3 kgr (not gained from AD) without even trying.

My problem is that the 50mg dose is not so sedating anymore and I hate increase dose, yesterday that I was stressed I took additionally half benzo and an ambien.