CrazyBoards.org

Loosing my mind

I am sooooo frustrated.  Lyrica is not working at all for my migraines.  I don't have an appt with my neuro until next week.  But his nurse called me yesterday to tell me to continue the Lyrica.  He will not prescribe my any painkiller and neither will my GP/Gyn who was up until she referred me to the neuro.  I'm in pain to the point that my husband caught me on the bathroom floor pounding my head trying to nock myself out.  I refuse to go to ER because I know how migraine patients are treated  not to mention that with not meeting my high, high deductable this year there is no way that we can afford it.  I'm losing my mind.  I keep thinking of the article that I read on about.com about this lady that was having the same problems and finally went to the ER and they did nothing for her.  She ended up commiting suicide.  Not that I would ever do that - but I do think about it.  I just feel like no once cares.

Sorry to dump this on anyone who reads it but I had to get it out.

I care and I daresay a lot of others do as well. Please don't feel like no one cares.

Listen, if you need to go to the ER then do it. There's no guarantee that you'll have the same bad experience as someone else. Though with migraines, you might. It is a lousy truth that some doctors feel it is an excuse by some to obtain narcotics (and I'm sure some do use it as an excuse to do so). Take someone with you to be your advocate.

Here's a little secret about many public hospitals. They cannot turn you down for service and honestly they can't force you to pay more than you can afford. So you can work out a payment plan when you are able to.

You need to get yourself better and put this talk of suicide behind you. Please update us too, OK?

It isn't hard to see why migraines are many times linked with depression. Chronic pain will do that to anyone.

I am sooooo frustrated.  Lyrica is not working at all for my migraines.  I don't have an appt with my neuro until next week.  But his nurse called me yesterday to tell me to continue the Lyrica.  He will not prescribe my any painkiller and neither will my GP/Gyn who was up until she referred me to the neuro.  I'm in pain to the point that my husband caught me on the bathroom floor pounding my head trying to nock myself out.  I refuse to go to ER because I know how migraine patients are treated  not to mention that with not meeting my high, high deductable this year there is no way that we can afford it.  I'm losing my mind.  I keep thinking of the article that I read on about.com about this lady that was having the same problems and finally went to the ER and they did nothing for her.  She ended up commiting suicide.  Not that I would ever do that - but I do think about it.  I just feel like no once cares.

Sorry to dump this on anyone who reads it but I had to get it out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

God it sucks that you are allergic to triptans. I would have blew my fucking migraine addled head right off by now. If further sucks that pain meds don't do shit, but help you give a shit less, and they won't give them to you. Fuckers. Does ice help? Sorry if you've talked about the earlier in thread, I pop in and out because I feel a sense of futility about my migraines. I don't even want to talk about them anymore. I've talked to the medical community for 30 years with little relief. I'm to weak willed to control them through a strict regimen of diet and exercise. I'm 45, and just praying menopause will give me some relief, finally.

I hope it lets up NOW! Dammit!

Suze

Firedancer:

A migraine that lasts more than a few days can be dangerous. Maybe you need to go to the ER. You definitely need to break the cycle---have you ever been given methylprednisolone? It's a steroid that you take a lot of at first, then taper off over 6 days. It's very inexpensive and I think fairly safe.

Take care,

Diane

Firedancer:

A migraine that lasts more than a few days can be dangerous. Maybe you need to go to the ER. You definitely need to break the cycle---have you ever been given methylprednisolone? It's a steroid that you take a lot of at first, then taper off over 6 days. It's very inexpensive and I think fairly safe.

Take care,

Diane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that a preventative treatment? That's what I'm looking for. I guess I need to really study the migraine board before I go threadjacking. I've tried various things, beta, channel blockers. My pdoc said he would put me on depakote for preventing migraines. I want to check this out on the migraine board.

They are so hideous, I didn't scream when I gave birth, but I scream when I have a migraine like what firedancer's talking about. If I don't catch it with a triptan in time.

Suze

Firedancer and Saturnine, I've been told that acupuncture works well to kill the migraines. You might want to check that out. 

We have an acupuncture school here, and it's only $25 if you see a student. 

Way back in the dark ages of the 60's, my Mom had excruciating neck pain from stress and couldn't sleep at night for months.  She kept going to the doctor, but nothing helped.  Finally at the end of her rope, she went to an acupuncturist, and it worked!

Firedancer and Saturnine, I've been told that acupuncture works well to kill the migraines. You might want to check that out. 

Way back in the dark ages of the 60's, my Mom had excruciating neck pain from stress and couldn't sleep at night for months.  She kept going to the doctor, but nothing helped.  Finally at the end of her rope, she went to an acupuncturist, and it worked!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. I have too. We actually have an MD in town who does accupuncture which means it could be covered by insurance. My aunt has been to her and she swears by it. She is a migraineur too.

Thanks, Libby!

Suze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes. I have too. We actually have an MD in town who does accupuncture which means it could be covered by insurance. My aunt has been to her and she swears by it. She is a migraineur too.

Thanks, Libby!

Suze

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let us know if it helps, Suze.  And dang, you're so lucky that it can be done by MD and covered by insurance! 

I, too, have had migraines.  I used to get them fairly frequently, and always had imitrex and ........ something oral i can't remember.... on hand.  omg, they are miserable. The first time I had one, I had no idea what was going on.  I happened to have a therapy appt, so went, and she said I was having a migraine!  Indeed I was.  She told me to go home and lie in bed in the total dark and silence with the air on cold.  That's what I did.  I thought I was going to die, but I lived through it.  Barely. After that, I got meds.

Anyhow, I sympathize.

Thanks for all the replies.  On Monday I had a really bad one.  About an 8/9 on the pain scale.  I called my Neurologist office, of course they were closed.  The doc on call told me since he wasn't my my doc and he had no way to access to my chart there was nothing he could do.  And since it was a holiday, it was a "weekend" for them and he couldn't call in any meds anyway.  He said my best bet was Urgent Care or ER.  So I drove to 3 UC's until I found one open.  Luckily it was the one that is affiliated with most of my docs so they would have all my records and info.  The office was filled with people.  So I tried to find a quiet corner, pulled my baseball hat down as far as it would go and took a tissue to cover my eyes.  They finally called me back about 40 minutes later.  By this time, the migraine was in full swing.  The nurse was great.  I have all my info written down so I don't have to explain or answer to many questions.  She appreciated that.  To bad I can't say the same for the doc.  She had the notes from my neuro but insisted that I explain the plan that we had.  It had changed a bit because what he thought would work, didn't.  So he prescribed Lyrica and told me to not take the gabapentin anymore.  I think she thinks I was lying since it was not in the notes she had.  I could barely speak and she insisted on having me do all the neuro test - walking a line, touching my nose, etc.

Finally she suggested Toradol and said she would give me a script for Oxycodone (what my neuro wants me to take).  The shot did nothing, or maybe the pain went down one level, maybe.  The script was for 8 pills, which pisses me off because it doesn't matter if she wrote it for 30 pills or 8 pills, I still pay the same amount. 

I have an appt with neuro on Wed and my GP/Gyn on Thurs and believe me I am going to discuss this situation.  I fully appreciate the fact that my neuro wants to find a preventative that will work.  But, in the mean time what am I to do when I have a migraine (and I usually have 2-3/week) if no one is going to prescribe me pain meds?  I can't afford to go to UC 2-3 times/week.

My old neuro would prescribe me prednisone to break migraines that lasted 2 days.  The first time, I didn't taper per his instructions, and I thought I was going to die.  It was terrible.  The next 2 times, I tapered and it was a little better.  But it did break the cycle.  But about drove me crazy.

But, in the mean time what am I to do when I have a migraine (and I usually have 2-3/week) if no one is going to prescribe me pain meds?  I can't afford to go to UC 2-3 times/week.
Firedancer, is acupuncture available in your town?  It's supposed to work very well for migraines.

The script was for 8 pills, which pisses me off because it doesn't matter if she wrote it for 30 pills or 8 pills, I still pay the same amount.

I'm sorry the doc wasn't better Fire, but I am relieved that you went to the ER. At least the nurse was nice. Experiences vary and there's really no telling what the doctors will be like or how they will view migraines.

The eight pills is because a collective group of morons has found that crushing Oxycodone for recreational use provides a great high. Taken correctly it is really a decent drug, though one has to watch the addictive properties of all the narcotics.

I wish you could find a preventative and an abortive that work. I guess I've been lucky with Topomax and Imitrex.

I second your reluctance of prednisone, even if tapered correctly it has awful side effects for me. Have you tried any of the Ace inhibitors or the beta blockers?

But, in the mean time what am I to do when I have a migraine (and I usually have 2-3/week) if no one is going to prescribe me pain meds?  I can't afford to go to UC 2-3 times/week.
Firedancer, is acupuncture available in your town?  It's supposed to work very well for migraines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My mom has suggested this.  I'm sure it is available.  I know that my chiropractor was talking about offering it, but he hasn't yet.  Not sure is insurance covers it or not.  I will have to check into it.

My neuro actually mentioned trying botox.  It's so expensive though.  But he is going to try to get my insurance to cover it.  If they do, then I may try that.

The script was for 8 pills, which pisses me off because it doesn't matter if she wrote it for 30 pills or 8 pills, I still pay the same amount.

I'm sorry the doc wasn't better Fire, but I am relieved that you went to the ER. At least the nurse was nice. Experiences vary and there's really no telling what the doctors will be like or how they will view migraines.

The eight pills is because a collective group of morons has found that crushing Oxycodone for recreational use provides a great high. Taken correctly it is really a decent drug, though one has to watch the addictive properties of all the narcotics.

I wish you could find a preventative and an abortive that work. I guess I've been lucky with Topomax and Imitrex.

I second your reluctance of prednisone, even if tapered correctly it has awful side effects for me. Have you tried any of the Ace inhibitors or the beta blockers?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had no idea that people would crush it until my neuro was telling me yesterday at my appt.  He was explaining all about DEA regulations and such.  He ended up prescribing me vicoprofen.

I'm kind of in this same place with the migraines. They are out of control. I only take triptans, Imitrex, Relpax. But my insurance only pays for about 1/3 of what I need in a months time, so I have this month spent 400 dollars I don't have on triptans. I would whore myself for that shit.

I want something that works as prophylaxis. I have been battling my MI so hard for the last year or 2, that I don't have the energy to take on the migraine fight, yet again.

Last time I saw pdoc, he said depakote works as prophylaxis. I've been on beta and calcium channel blockers to no avail. I mentioned Topomax to pdoc he didn't think much of the idea.

Logic would dictate it's time to ask gp for a neuro consult. But with ortho surgery, rheumatology, psychiatric consults every other fucking day, one more doctor, one more shot at extreme disappointment and failure.

I'm extremely discouraged, but seldom post because of how discouraged I am. And how resigned I am to spending every available cent I have on Imitrex. 200$ for 9 100 milligram pills. I cut them in half, but I usually need the full 100 mgs. abortively. It's a fucking evil racket and I hope the insurance people burn in a fiery hell if there is such a place.

Have any of you taken depakote for prophylaxis? When I was 13 and started with these goddamn headaches (now 45) I remember them putting me on dilantin, but I don't remember what results I had if any. Besides, it's only been since I'm 30 somthing, after 1st baby that they started getting totally out of hand. But now that's been 15 years.

I blame myself because I don't maintain a strict diet and exercise regimen, which I think would help decrease the occurrence. I know if I each something with sugar in it before I go to bed, I'm fucked. But I still do it sometimes.

I've thrown my hands up in the air until I joined CB, and I pop in and out of this thread and think, well maybe there is a chance I could take SOMETHING that would work preventatively. Because like firedancer, I get these 3-4 times a week or more often around my period, which seems all the time these days.

Argh!!!!

Suzanne

Suzanne,

I'm not sure why they limit riptans the way they do. I get 18 Imitrex pills per month, but rarely use that many in two months time. It is up to the individual insurance companies and yor doctor. Have you had any heart problems that might make him or her hesitant to give you more?

Regardless, I've never taken Depakote. It is a harsh medicine from what I've read and comes with regular blood work to check the liver.

I mentioned Topomax to pdoc he didn't think much of the idea.

Why not? It is approved for migraine prophylaxis. I'd ask him to clarify this point.

Do you eat a lot of chocalate?

Lastly, some women with menstrual migraines are blessed that with menopause comes migraine relief. This isn't true of all women, but some. Myabe you'll be a lucky one!

Suzanne -

I feel for ya!  I would recommend seeing a neuro.  My old one told me that if triptans worked for me, then he could fill out a form that would allow me to get more than the allowed amount per month and insurance would be the same.  So that may be a shot. He also said he could do the same with my Ambien. ;)

With the amount that you are having a month, something like Topamax may be worth it (with triptans being a back-up).  It works for alot of people (it didn't for me).  I have also tried Neurontin (gabapentin) - didn't work for me.  Currently, I'm on Lyrica (I just upped my dosage because my neuro said I was on a baby dose and he really wanted to give this drug a shot).  I also upped my dose of Lamictal to 200mg.

He also mentioned Botox (which is not covered by my insurance but he is going to try to get them to pay).  If they pay then I may try that.

I can understand not wanting to add another doc to your team (especially with me not being able to work because of these migraines) it can get expensive.  I don't really have a GP, my Gyn acts at one or I go to Urgent Care.  She wouldn't prescribed most AC because she didn't have the expertise.  So referring me to a neuro was the best thing in my situation.  She tried triptans, some ADs and pain meds - that was the extent of what she wanted to do.

Have you had a CT or MRI?

Good luck and keep in touch.  Us migraineurs have to stick together!

Jen

I saw that someone asked about Depakote for migraines. It did nothing for mine, neither did Topamax.

I have noticed that Lamictal has slowed down the frequency but it hasn't prevented them.

After my last migraine, I told my Pdoc that the Stadol just made me ill and he gave me Vicoden for next time. 10 of them ..I will definitly need two of them..and i pay same no matter how many.

Once , after a spinal tap..i got an excruciationg headache.

I called the neuro doc, they had me go to the ER where they took blood from my arm, and inserted in my spinal tap area. Even in that situation, It only took away the intensity. I threw up finally and felt a little better, but I have trouble getting rid of any headache after it's started. Esp. a migraine.

Archived