CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
Dzo

Windows 10 ruined my laptop.

So now I am switching over to the Mac-Side....

:cussing:Windows :cussing:10:cussing:ruining :cussing:my :cussing:laptop :cussing:

Life is good though...

Have you not considered moving over to Linux?

To (semi quote) Jim Morrison.   Windows 10 is your face being pressed into the shit of the world.  I fixed a laptop for a friends wife and the damn thing was going ape on my network and constantly scratching away on the hard disk.  I spent hours thinking something is still seriously wrong.  Yes it is.  Its name is Windows. 

What utter garbage ware.  How can there be a need for hours of "patches and updates" every tuesday?  How many people do they employ and what in they hell do they do?  I have to wonder if they do this on purpose.  Employment for the half wits.

If you have an older machine that you were going to throw away anyway - download Thar 6.0x puppy linux and just let the CD start up.   http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/

Other then telling it (If you want to) your time zone and if you want your clock synced with an atomic standard and if you want wifi or ethernet for connecting to the internet thats about it.   Then you can surf the web, write spread sheets, Docs, Power point (like) slides and all the other stuff that costs a ton and need updates every couple months. Untill they decide you need to pay more to get the same garbageware.

If you want it to boot faster *Its already screaming fast.  Let it write out a puppy file.   *Windows won't be touched.  If you are going to try to go back to windows I (no kidding) suggest you talk to your Doctor about Valium, Xanax etc.  I think without it my head would have exploded.

• Like 2

I put Ubuntu on it last night, and I have been trying to learn to use it.

I do like it though, the mac gets here next week sometime :D. I might keep this to fuck off with.

Linux is the only operating system I use. I've got everything I need and it didn't cost me a cent, and the OS is cool. Linux was the OS that we used when I was in grad school so it was comfortable with it. Linux is the OS that the supercomputers use. All of my hardware just works ... no driver hell here as it was when I used Windows. The only reason to go with Windows is if you are into gaming. The games for Linux are so bad that it's hard to call them games and that is no exaggeration. I don't game so it's all good with me.

Actually, there's Steam for Linux now and over a thousand higher end titles have been ported.  Valve is basing their own Steambox console on Debain. 

Windows 8 and 8.1 were both so bad it was as if they'd been designed to be bad-that degree of terrible couldn't just happen spontaneously, could it? But I like Windows 10, and I haven't had any problems at all with it.

I still want to install Linux on my old laptop just to fuck around with it, but considering everything else I have to do right now, that is pretty low on the list of things to do.

3 hours ago, Velvet Elvis said:

Actually, there's Steam for Linux now and over a thousand higher end titles have been ported.  Valve is basing their own Steambox console on Debain. 

Goes to show what I know about gaming. I only know that chess on my version of Linux is not anywhere near as good as the free chess that comes on Windows.

You can port games onto the Linux.....

I might try steam and report back on it.

30 minutes ago, Dzo said:

You can port games onto the Linux.....

I might try steam and report back on it.

Make sure you're using the proprietary graphics drivers if you have and AMD or Nvidia chipset.  The open source drivers are fairly crappy for any kind of 3D gaming.

If you're using Ubuntu, open "software and updates" and look under "additional drivers."

Hmmm. I might get the Windows 10 upgrade after all then if I'm bored. VE's word is about as good as it gets with technology I reckon. I still have a working MP3 player from maybe 2006 where he recommended the brand, with a bigger capacity and costing a sixth of the price of my ipod nano (gifted by concerned cousin - "what you don't have an ipod?". The ipod design is very nice granted).

I think Windows 10 is ultimately responsible for my hard drive crashing. Now I can't use my computer because I can't afford the SSD drive that I need. So I use a tablet right now...

On 11/22/2015 at 9:51 AM, jt07 said:

Linux is the only operating system I use. I've got everything I need and it didn't cost me a cent, and the OS is cool. Linux was the OS that we used when I was in grad school so it was comfortable with it. Linux is the OS that the supercomputers use. All of my hardware just works ... no driver hell here as it was when I used Windows. The only reason to go with Windows is if you are into gaming. The games for Linux are so bad that it's hard to call them games and that is no exaggeration. I don't game so it's all good with me.

Lol you game too. It's pretty awesome. I'm on halo 2 right now. The graphics are sweet!

I can't confirm W10 ruined my laptop but it was about 5 months after it came out that my hard drive went out. Now I have to replace it which is expensive so I haven't yet, and it's been about 9 months. I use a Fire tablet and my phone for home internet use, and my work computer helps at work.

Any donations toward a new hard drive would be appreciated. LOL

8 hours ago, Alien Navel Cord said:

I can't confirm W10 ruined my laptop but it was about 5 months after it came out that my hard drive went out. Now I have to replace it which is expensive so I haven't yet, and it's been about 9 months. I use a Fire tablet and my phone for home internet use, and my work computer helps at work.

Any donations toward a new hard drive would be appreciated. LOL

No, software generally doesn't impact hardware, unless you're doing really advanced stuff.. forget exactly what I did in computer security..

Basically, you need a new harddrive. And a ruined harddrive is not a ruined laptop. There are a million things you can fuck up that, if you're under warranty, they'll throw it away and send you a new one.

Also, in *nix you can royally fuck everything up if you're in terminal and type the wrong letter.

Did that once, spent 2 hours at the dentist because I got angry and stood up, then fell, smashed my tooth in half.. Then spent the next 12 hours fixing my partition tables.

I stopped using Mac after Snow Leopard.

Windows 10 drained my husband's laptop battery really quickly, like in less than 15 minutes, so the laptop wasn't really moveable. He ended up uninstalling it. He didn't have any problems with 10 in and of itself, it was just the battery draining became an issue because he was working with students, and he only had power for the first 15 minutes.