CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
jarn

I spank my cat

....but only when she's smacking the dog for no reason.  (And yes, she has her claws)

I don't spank her hard - more like firm patting - but I'll chase after her saying 'Esme!  You get back here this instant!' and then pick her up and rap her bum.

Does this make me a terrible owner?  It doesn't seem to upset her.

Heh... If anything, it seems like maybe ineffectual because it comes not immediately in time after swatting the dog.

Sometimes I will make a loud hissing noise to startle one of the cats if they're doing something I prefer they not do. 

Nugget just wanders away if someone tries to swat her.

Also, no, it doesn't make you a bad human.

• Like 1

If you feel bad about "spanking" your cat then try a water pistol.

• Like 2

I'd feel really bad about a water pistol!  Also, bad aim!  

Woo, it is ineffectual.  She's completely unrepentant.  Her getting 'Esme!  Come back here this instant!' comes immediately afterwards, and she makes this face then runs away.  I think she knows she's in trouble, but the spanking may not be immediate enough.

Heh, i do the "ssssstttt" and clap my hands. They're usually pretty good, it's more my kids that I have to discipline, lol.

Luc loves her despite her smacking him.  Neb is suspicious of her friendly overtures but she in general doesn't smack him, I think he's just like 'Don't let her get too close....'

Lear, our other cat, is very well-behaved.  He's a total wimp (semi-feral).  

Everyone is different. You're not a bad human being. I bet your cat has a lovin home and that's the most important thing. :)

I used to have cats and I used to occasionally do that when they'd really misbehave. However I was 9-10 so maybe it was a bad idea (I have a couple scratch marks and bite scars) :/ 

http://www.wikihow.com/Discipline-Cats <-This might be useful for you :D so you cat teach that furry ball a lesson.

angry-cat-3.jpg

Edited by StJimmy9151
  • Like 1

Cats don't work that way.  You'll just make her more of a bitch. 

You can't train cats.  You can just make them hate you more.

Even the best behaved cat will snack on your corpse if you die alone with them in the house.

Cats are much much closer to wild animals than dogs.

• Like 5

How do you put a cat in a time out?

Esme doesn't hate me.  She follows me around and loooooves me, curls up next to me and purrs purrs purrs.  When I need a break I give her a big hug and kiss, both things she hates.  

32 minutes ago, jarn said:

How do you put a cat in a time out?

Esme doesn't hate me.  She follows me around and loooooves me, curls up next to me and purrs purrs purrs.  When I need a break I give her a big hug and kiss, both things she hates.  

I tell Mr. TB when he's acting up that he's going in time-out. Then I pick him up and put him in the bath room and shut the door. Then I set the timer on my phone for two-five minutes. (Depends upon his previous behavior.) Then when it goes off, I go to the door and ask him if he's going to be good now. If he hisses, I shut the door for another minute. If I get a meow, then I let him out. He usually rubs all over my legs and is a good kitty, for a little while at least.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MrTastybutt said:

I tell Mr. TB when he's acting up that he's going in time-out. Then I pick him up and put him in the bath room and shut the door. Then I set the timer on my phone for two-five minutes. (Depends upon his previous behavior.) Then when it goes off, I go to the door and ask him if he's going to be good now. If he hisses, I shut the door for another minute. If I get a meow, then I let him out. He usually rubs all over my legs and is a good kitty, for a little while at least.

Aww that's adorable.  We put the dogs in time outs (make them sit stay) but I've never tried it with Esme.  Lear is a good boy and doesn't need to be put in time outs.  

Heh, my poor cattle dog Somer spends half her life in time out. She's pretty accustomed to "damn it, somer, crate!". Maybe if she would spend less time hauling cat poop into the living room...

• Haha 1

Eww!  We have a baby gate up so the cat litterbox is off limits.  Learned when we used the corn litter and couldn't figure out what was going on with Luc's pooh - he was going in and not only eating the cat poop but the litter too!

I think spanking anything is fine as long as your not hurting your pet or child, that goes for emotionally as well as physically. Make sure your pet or child understands the point. And make sure your pet isn’t scared. (They may be a little surprised or look guilty or embarrassed and even run away, but they shouldn’t be terrified.) also try to figure out when your pet may be faking being hurt by what your doing and genuine pain. What I mean by that is some pets may learn that if they yelp or cry (even or especially when they’re not hurt they can avoid discipline) when I first got my cat every time I picked her up, she would squeak when I picked her up so I would put her Down because I was scared I hurt her. Then one day I bent over to pick her up and she squealed like she was in pain, she wasn’t scared or hurt, she was faking. Lol I also have chickens who fake being sick so they can come inside and eat yougurt and be cuddled and pampered. And the minute I would say “are you ready to go back outside?” (This is what we say everytime)  she acted sick again an over exaggerated act of sickness and it was instant. 

Our pets are smarter than some of us think, they may not understand everything we say but they pick up on key phrases like “no” “treat” “bath” “vet” and so on. Spanking isn’t the option for some pets a simple “no” may suffice but other pets may need more 

spanking does not make you a bad person 

On 2018-07-08 at 6:59 PM, Fluent In Silence said:

Sooo, not a euphemism then. Spanking the monkey. Spanking my cat. I shall not follow that train of thought.

Is spanking your cat just a female version of spanking your monkey?

Edited by wookie
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I do spank my cat only when she bites and scratches and draws blood. This happens sometimes when I'm trying to clip her nails or wipe her paws clean, not always. She usually gets away with murder for everything else because I'm a softy. Lol!! She doesn't hate me. She loves me, follows me around everywhere I go, cries for me when I come home, and cries at my bedroom door in the morning. She is not afraid of me. Probably because I raised her from 4 weeks old. I don't like striking her but I do need to show her there are consequences for hurting me.