CrazyBoards.org

Agitation

I'm (hopefully!) in the process of coming down from a manic episode at the moment, but I'm still struggling with a lot of symptoms. The most debilitating at the moment are agitation and hypersensitivity to noises/lights... as well as the irritability that these symptoms spark. 

For those who have experienced agitation, on either end of the mood spectrum, what strategies or activities kept the agitation at bay? Or at least mitigated its impact? Pretty much the only time I feel all right is when I'm exercising, so I'm planning to do that twice a day if I can. I've also got clonazepam and quetiapine as PRNs, but they don't work super well. My energy is inexhaustible!

Any ideas to combat the agitation beast? 

I exercise and pace the days away when agitated. I play loud and angry music and sing along....my poor neighbors. I try deep breathing at times  

Speakig of the devil, I'm feeling some agitation now. Husband is laughing at some YouTube video and it keeps beeping and I just want to punch a hole in the wall or break a window. I seriously am going to scream I think. Husband has annoyed me all day. Why does he get to feel normal and happy laughing? I know I sound awful. I wouldn't trade him for the world but right now I can't take it!!!!!

Also prn meds are a good idea. I only have a mild antihistamine (vistaril) for a prn. And I don't like taking it because I am fucking tired enough due to sleep disorders. I don't appreciate feeling even a slight bit tired. But I'm going to down double the dose now anyway not that it will help very much. 

I try to slow my breathing and quiet my mind along with an Ativan or 2.  I also find putting earphones on and listening to chill out music helps.   I went so far as to make a playlist that is for the purpose of chilling me out.  

But sometimes all I can do is sit and bounce my legs to stop myself from running around. 

Coming down from mania is hard, its like all your nerves have been in overdrive and are still spinning despite coming down.  Takes a bit. 

13 hours ago, aura said:

I'm (hopefully!) in the process of coming down from a manic episode at the moment, but I'm still struggling with a lot of symptoms. The most debilitating at the moment are agitation and hypersensitivity to noises/lights... as well as the irritability that these symptoms spark. 

For those who have experienced agitation, on either end of the mood spectrum, what strategies or activities kept the agitation at bay? Or at least mitigated its impact? Pretty much the only time I feel all right is when I'm exercising, so I'm planning to do that twice a day if I can. I've also got clonazepam and quetiapine as PRNs, but they don't work super well. My energy is inexhaustible!

Any ideas to combat the agitation beast? 

Agitation really sucks.  I get it on both ends ... on the way down to depression as well as heading towards mania.   I think in part it is because my mind thinks so fast when manic, and no one can keep up.  And when I'm depressed my mind is so slow (and I really don't give a shit about anything) that when people talk to me I just want them to go away.  I can't think fast enough to do anything complicated (like go for a walk, get the mail, etc)

The first thing I do is stay away from people so I dont do anything or say something I'd regret later on to someone.  When I am towards the manic end one of the tthings thing I've found is to take meds to temporarily calm down ... taking enough to make me even a little bit tired to I can go lay down and sleep.  It doesn't work all the time but when it does I feel better after waking up.  Other times I find stuff to do inside my apartment.  Clean something, pass time watching TV, something active.  But whatever I do, I do it with no one around.

• Like 1

I agree with keeping to yourself in minimally stimulating environments as much as possible. Earplugs are a great idea, as are sunglasses, even indoors, if you need them: earplugs at the grocery store have saved me a lot of grief over the years. I would avoid loud music, loud television, loud anything. I like cleaning if I can keep myself sufficiently unscrambled to do it. May as well put the surplus energy to use. Exercising is good, too.

Staying away from other people as much as possible helps me, too. As do PRN meds. I take Seroquel.