CrazyBoards.org

SSRIs Impeding Absorption of Other Meds

Hi guys,

I'm reading parts of a book (linked below) that notes how SSRIs are sometimes known for impeding the absorption of other meds that are being taken concurrently. It notes that Luvox is the worse SSRI regarding this. The book says that Klonopin and Xanax are two of the drugs that interact with Luvox through "CYP 3A4 inhibition." Does this mean that Klonopin and Xanax are less likely to work when taken with Luvox? By extension, would this mean that any other meds taken together with the Luvox will probably not be absorbed as well by the body?

Page 536, along with Table 32.29-2:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ubG51n2NgfwC&pg=PA536&lpg=PA536&dq=Luvox+inhibiting+CYP1A2&source=bl&ots=tn2I5qAjuY&sig=T7tJZyksY4cc1kjyeSsnZMoL0Xs&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjvn_Cz9rHJAhWM5yYKHRX_BMoQ6AEIQjAF#v=onepage&q=Luvox%20inhibiting%20CYP1A2&f=false

I came across another source that says that Luvox inhibits CYP1A2, which it said included "caffeine and other drugs." What does this mean? Does it make a person less sensitive to caffeine? More sensitive?

"You're right about Luvox inhibiting CYP1A2 for sure. My psychiatrist says this makes it a less attractive option."

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f30/switching-from-luvox-fluvoxamine-to-prozac-fluoxetine-666234/

I don't know anything about "CYP ..." enzymes. What are these CYP things that are being referenced?

I'm switching from Prozac to Luvox, hence this research.

Let me know what you guys think about all this, thanks!

:)

troop

Edited by troop111

Well, I'm not a doctor, but I think the CYP enzymes are the enzymes that metabolize meds (and other things). So if Luvox inhibits a certain CYP enzyme associated with the metabolism of caffeine, say, then that means you are going to be more sensitive to caffeine because less caffeine is being broken down.

Um that is incorrect.

ssri = selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor

ssris work in the dendritic ends if brain cells to prevent serotonin from being reabsorbed at the terminal button. This keeps the serotonin in the synaptic gap and increases the likelihood of serotonin connecting on the axon side of the synapse.

in this case "inhibitor" refers to the  decreased reuptake if serotonin by the dendrites.

Yeah, they are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors but completely independent from that they can inhibit (or induce) liver enzyme production. Every med has a metabolic profile. Just like Tegretol induces liver enzyme production which cause most of my meds to be metabolized more quickly. If a med inhibits a liver enzyme that breaks down another med, then that other med will be increased in the blood.

We are talking about metabolism not psychoaction.

• Like 1

Ah sorry... I misunderstood.

I thought the pharmacist was telling the OP that the "inhibitor" in SSRI was about liver enzyme inhibition rather than serotonin reuptake inhibition.

You're talking about the concept of enzyme inhibition. For example, grapefruit has some compounds that hinder/inhibit CPY3A4 enzyme action. CPY3A4 is needed to break down several medications. It's not surprising some meds will also inhibit liver enzymes.

9 hours ago, Wooster said:

Um that is incorrect.

ssri = selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor

ssris work in the dendritic ends if brain cells to prevent serotonin from being reabsorbed at the terminal button. This keeps the serotonin in the synaptic gap and increases the likelihood of serotonin connecting on the axon side of the synapse.

in this case "inhibitor" refers to the  decreased reuptake if serotonin by the dendrites.

Terminal Button would be a f*cking great name for a band.