CrazyBoards.org

Is Wellbutrin the only dopamine AD?

I've been trying to research for other antidepressants and medication that are dopaminergic just like Wellbutrin, but i don't seem to find much. Most of the other NDRI's are stimulants rather than antidepressants, i did discover this tricyclic called Amineptine which has similar mechanisms to Wellbutrin but was apperantely withdrawn from the market. The only other dopaminergics i could find that are prescribed for depression are low dose Abilify and Amisulpride. I also know that some tricyclics such as Nortriptyline, Desipramine and Doxepin have dopaminergic effects to a smaller extend. 

But it seems Wellbutrin is "the" dopamine AD people talk about, i don't find much else.

Even Wellbutrin's dopamine action is weak compared to its action on norepinephrine. Zoloft has a very weak dopamine action. I've read that Effexor at the highest doses affects dopamine.

But, yeah, dopaminergic ADs are few. That's why Abilify has been a godsend to me.

There are dopamine agonists (usually used to treat Parkinson's disease) that are sometimes prescribed off-label for depression, but you have to have an adventurous pdoc who is willing to do that.

28 minutes ago, jt07 said:

Even Wellbutrin's dopamine action is weak compared to its action on norepinephrine. Zoloft has a very weak dopamine action. I've read that Effexor at the highest doses affects dopamine.

But, yeah, dopaminergic ADs are few. That's why Abilify has been a godsend to me.

There are dopamine agonists (usually used to treat Parkinson's disease) that are sometimes prescribed off-label for depression, but you have to have an adventurous pdoc who is willing to do that.

I've tried Effexor, it mostly hits serotonin and norepinephrine. It made me feel worse. Zoloft made me feel worse too after a short lived hypomania. 

It's a shame there aren't more dopaminergic ADs, maybe because of it's abuse potential? I think Amisulpride is my best shot at a dopaminergic now, if that doesn't do it for me then perhaps dopamine isn't my problem. Wellbutrin had a positive effect on me for a while, so norepinephrine will be my next strategy incase Amisulpride fails.