CrazyBoards.org

Switched from generic to original - panic returned

Its been a months since last time my derealization got out of hand and scared me (that happened because of me taking amino acids). I had been getting used to being able to deal with life, and was finding things predictable again.

Today I started taking Zoloft from Pfizer insterad of generic Sertraline bluefish and about 7 hours after I had my pill I had a huge change of perception. Everything started to look increasingly fake and unreal and I got scared. I felt like sounds were louder and like people were automated. When I understood that it was a panic attack I rushed to the toilet and took 25 mg Atarax. Then my boyfriend drove me home where I could go to sleep.

This was such a dramatic setback. Could Zoloft have a higher concentration and therefore I am feeling like I increased the dose, or what is this? I was not worried at all. This just seemed to come out of the blue sky. We had plans and had to cancel everything. I'm scared to go outside but feel safe at home right now.

Edit. Perhaps I should add that I took 1/4 of a 25 mg Propavan (Propiomazin) pill at 9 pm the evening before. Propavan is a non-addicitive sleeping pill. It helped me sleep better than I am used to and I felt good in the morning. I don't think it's likely that such a small dose caused me to panic so many hours later.

Edited by random_woman

I would talk to your pdoc.  There are some situations where people react differently to one manufacturer than another.  I've never heard of it being the case with prozac, but that doesn't mean that it's not the case.  Particularly if it happens again (assuming you can't reach your pdoc over the weekend).  If you really are that sensitive, the pharmacy will likely make sure to order the specific manufacturer, but they may need a note from your pdoc or something from your insurance company.

35 minutes ago, dancesintherain said:

I would talk to your pdoc.  There are some situations where people react differently to one manufacturer than another.  I've never heard of it being the case with prozac, but that doesn't mean that it's not the case.  Particularly if it happens again (assuming you can't reach your pdoc over the weekend).  If you really are that sensitive, the pharmacy will likely make sure to order the specific manufacturer, but they may need a note from your pdoc or something from your insurance company.

But I don't want to change. I just want to understand what is happening. I believe Zoloft to be the real deal, since it is the original, and that's why I asked for it at the pharmacy. If in fact Zoloft has more active ingredients in a pill compared to Sertralin Bluefish then this could be side effects like the ones I get when my dose is increased. In that case I should be fine in less than three days. I read somewhere that generics could have up to 20% less (or 25% more) active ingredient than the original, don't know if that's true though.

Edit. You wrote Prozac. Did you mean Zoloft?

Edited by random_woman

On 5 december 2015 at 7:07 PM, dancesintherain said:

yes, sorry, I meant Zoloft.

I'd check in with your pdoc regardless and at least explain what's going on. It could be that a dosage adjustment would help then. You're right that the difference in purity can sometimes make an impact.

I feel better now. It must have been an increase in purity. Didn't know there could be differences. Have always been on generics as well as brand name and never been sensitive like now. Weird. Don't have a pdoc, just a gdoc and I guess he would just be surprised, like he was when I told him starting with Sertraline 25 mg was very hard.